PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here hire software developers in Asia?

Mar
02-08-2016, 12:41 AM
I may be looking to build a team somewhere like the Philippines to try it out before building a team locally and the first thing I need right now is a full time system tester. I have a lot of high end projects I'm pumping out and I need someone constantly testing them prior to pushing them into production, I'm tired of pushing bugs through staging environments.

The candidate would have to take a predetermined list of qualifications and test the system against it, it will take a full day to run through every scenario, at least.

Anyone here hire someone from Vietnam or the Philippines and have any luck? Is it super cheap? Is it more trouble than it's worth? If it works out, I may add a couple of developers and a designer later on.

Mar
02-08-2016, 11:27 PM
People are only interested in my threads when they're a total joke.

mazdavirgin
02-09-2016, 12:18 AM
:dunno: Still seems like a total joke to me... Maybe you should test your shit yourself before pushing it out into production. If you hire contractors which is what you are going to get if you hire foreign you're going to have to provide a full description of unit test or test procedures otherwise WTF are they going to test with 0 understanding of whatever abomination you created? So you have to ask yourself is that going to take less time than doing it yourself?

Anyways this whole post just sounds dumb I've never heard anyone refer to their software projects as "high end projects".

dj_rice
02-09-2016, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Mar
People are only interested in my threads when they're a total joke.

Probably because you are a joke

But on a serious note, hire Arashi.

nzwasp
02-09-2016, 07:11 AM
If you speak some other language as well - ie chinese it would be much better to hire them from a chinese speaking country where you can discuss arrangements and what not much better.

I had a buddy who developed an app and hired a team from indonesia, it took far longer than expected and costs blew out. In the end since he knew how to code he ended up fixing alot of the mistakes originally made. Had he known their language he might of been able to communicate what he wanted better and fix problems before they cropped up.

redblack
02-09-2016, 07:28 AM
Hire a Canadian you POS

ExtraSlow
02-09-2016, 08:10 AM
Sounds like a job that should be on Fiverr.

A790
02-09-2016, 08:45 AM
I have outsourced extensively in the past. Designers/developers in particular, looking at basic web language as well as some software dev.

I don't anymore. I will almost always choose to work with someone local.

blitz
02-09-2016, 08:55 AM
There's no way this doesn't end with you flying to SE Asia for a business meeting and subsequently having all your organs harvested.

RealJimmyJames
02-09-2016, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by blitz
There's no way this doesn't end with you flying to SE Asia for a business meeting and subsequently having all your organs harvested. So it's a win-win.

riander5
02-09-2016, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
So it's a win-win.

dibs on his nicer looking car

Xtrema
02-09-2016, 09:35 AM
I think there's a kijiji/tinder type market place for what you are looking for. Name escape me for the moment. But I have never heard any good from it.

The problem is, your work force is 3000 miles away that you can't really control. If your pay isn't competitive, they really won't deliver.

It's hard enough to off shore via a agency that has control and process. It's just almost impossible for accountability when do try to find random freelancer.

And with the low $cdn, you are also not competitive against US and Europe firms that fight for the same resources. But Philippine is your best bet, less language barrier and economy is shit. If will be almost impossible for Vietnam or China to provide that. Anyone who know conversational English well probably doesn't need to do these kind of dirty work.

lint
02-09-2016, 09:42 AM
Mar, have you ever worked on a software development team before? Or are you one of those hotshot independent contractors who's learned everything he needs to know by googling code snippets?

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/9689481.jpg

A790
02-09-2016, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
I think there's a kijiji/tinder type market place for what you are looking for. Name escape me for the moment. But I have never heard any good from it.
RentACoder, Upwork.

googe
02-09-2016, 11:03 AM
The (or, one of the) problems with outsourcing is that you can find someone to do the work for 1/5th of the cost, but only 1 in 5 of the people you try to hire will be any good at all. And typically, the good ones are charging more than 1/5th of the cost. If they don't suck, whoever has hired them will pay a premium to save themselves from having to deal with everyone else's shit.

CompletelyNumb
02-09-2016, 12:26 PM
Hard to trust outsourcing sites these days. I've seen far too many "review swap" type threads on blackhat sites. Devs buy services from each other so they only lose a couple bucks in fees. Give each other 5 star glowing reviews.

I used one from freelancer recently. Laid out in great detail what I needed. He quoted. ETA 2 days. Took 5, plus multiple fixes. Asked for tip at the end. :dunno:

mazdavirgin
02-09-2016, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
I used one from freelancer recently. Laid out in great detail what I needed. He quoted. ETA 2 days. Took 5, plus multiple fixes. Asked for tip at the end. :dunno:

You get what you pay for...

msommers
02-09-2016, 01:20 PM
Why Vietnam or the Philippines, specifically?

Is someone locally too expensive?