PDA

View Full Version : EPA says "No" to Mustang

SkiBum5.0
02-08-2016, 04:16 PM
I've got a situation that is causing me some stress. I'm moving to Houston in April so I've gone through all the steps of getting ready for the move including importing my truck (2015 Sierra) and my Mustang. Truck was easy as it's new, as sold in the US save for an Airbag sticker.
The Mustang has been a nightmare. I thought it was exempt from EPA and DOT requirements due to it's age but I'm having problems with it "not being in original, as-manufactured condition."

This leaves me with these options:
1. Leave it in Canada for the 2-4 years I will be gone. It will be put in long term storage at our farm in Sask. I will have the hired man start and run the car regularly and I can change the oil etc when I come to visit.

2. Hire an ICI (official importer) to help me "modify" the car to meet the requirements. This process is usually reserved for high dollar cars (like exotics) as the process can cost upwards of $20,000.

3. Just try and cross the border and import it as a 1989 Mustang and hope the US border guys and Texas inspection folks don't care or notice that it's modified.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've tried petitioning the EPA for a final exemption as it "holds material and personally significant meaning to me." I'm not holding my breath.

soloracer
02-08-2016, 04:44 PM
I will hold it for you. Just leave the keys and a blank cheque for consumables.......:devil:

mzdspd
02-08-2016, 05:38 PM
So is it a 1989 Mustang?
Because I thought once it was 25 years old then it no longer needed to follow the rules (similar to 15 year import rule)

SkiBum5.0
02-08-2016, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by mzdspd
So is it a 1989 Mustang?
Because I thought once it was 25 years old then it no longer needed to follow the rules (similar to 15 year import rule)

It's an 89 Mustang with a crate motor and no original running gear. If it's 25 years or older, it's DOT exempt. If it 21 years or older, it's EPA exempt - but it has to be in its original and unmodified condition.

killramos
02-08-2016, 08:32 PM
Can you have it exempted as a classic?

Or what if you don't register it? Just trailer it there and leave it in the garage. No different than leaving it here.

ercchry
02-08-2016, 08:36 PM
Track car only, leave Canadian registration on it, or pull motor and bring down body and drivetrain separately (hell, toss in an old oem engine and don't bother hooking it up) and put it back together when you're down there and have the paperwork all sorted.... Not like it will be the first modified mustang on the streets of Huston haha

Skidro
02-08-2016, 10:00 PM
^^ good idea but lots of work to still uninstall and reinstall potentially 2 motors

ekguy
02-08-2016, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Skidro
^^ good idea but lots of work to still uninstall and reinstall potentially 2 motors

better than the expensive alternative posted up though??

:dunno:

never
02-08-2016, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
...leave Canadian registration on it...

Yeah, can't you just do this? Probably the simplest...especially if you're coming back in the not too distant future.

shakalaka
02-08-2016, 10:41 PM
I don't think it's worth going the option 2 and 3 route so that would leave option 1. Potential option 4 would be to try and sell it before you leave but only if you're willing to part with it.

SkiBum5.0
02-09-2016, 08:12 PM
It can't be brought down as a race car (would have to prove its not road ready) and no-go on parade or show car.

Texas requires state plates within 30 days. I could leave AB plates on it but if I get pulled over it will be expensive (no tags, reggie or insurance).

I can import for 1 year under my Visa but then I have to prove its been exported back into Canada after that year.

Never thought it would be this hard.

That.Guy.S30
02-09-2016, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by SkiBum5.0
It can't be brought down as a race car (would have to prove its not road ready) and no-go on parade or show car.

Texas requires state plates within 30 days. I could leave AB plates on it but if I get pulled over it will be expensive (no tags, reggie or insurance).

I can import for 1 year under my Visa but then I have to prove its been exported back into Canada after that year.

Never thought it would be this hard.

Leave me the keys at the shop.. I'll take care of it. :burnout:

SkiBum5.0
02-10-2016, 10:17 AM
^ I'm working out how many subs I would like in a straight up trade. You'd probably take real good care of it though.

topsecret
02-16-2016, 12:10 PM
I can also hold it for you, if you need a place to leave it with a "responsible" person. :burnout: