PDA

View Full Version : why do you do it?

finboy
03-16-2004, 01:16 AM
upon looking at my T4's for the year, and in making 17,000, i can't really figure how i spent all of it on my car. funny part is, a large chunk of it has gone into my cars in some way form or shape, be it garage rent, insuance, parts, or buying random cars.

now admitadly very few of those parts are slightly used aftermarket parts, and the cars cost next to nothing, but still i keep on spending. if i need it, i'll do whatever possible to get the parts for my car, even if it won't be going on for months. i can only imagine how bad it is having a car with a jdm motor, and not having motors available for 200 bucks each.

still, i'll keep spending, even when the car's running, i don't think it will ever be done. already i'm looking at a complete suspension overhaul, a bit more of a brake upgrade, looking at a more efficient turbo, etc. but for the brief time when the turbo spools and the car blows the tires away all through 2nd gear, it makes it all worth it.

why do you sacrifice everything for your car?

ryder_23
03-16-2004, 01:20 AM
^
dont forget gas :thumbsdow

I made a bit less than you did, but i dont have much to show for it...i hate how money, just seems to...dissapear :banghead:

finboy
03-16-2004, 01:21 AM
yea, however i do have a nice parts collection, too bad they're collecting dust :rofl:

infamous
03-16-2004, 01:58 AM
i think that the real question is why not?

ThE tV 8 mE
03-16-2004, 03:27 AM
then why dont you sell them, and get better ones?! lol..wouldn't that be the logical thing to do?? :dunno:

shadowz
03-16-2004, 03:28 AM
Better than running around getting into trouble, IMO money well spent as long as youre having fun doing it

finboy
03-16-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by ThE tV 8 mE
then why dont you sell them, and get better ones?! lol..wouldn't that be the logical thing to do?? :dunno:

even with better ones you'll still be spending money on mods. of my car only cost me 500 bucks, so you can imagine how many parts i've thrown at this car ;)

DeathBy240
03-16-2004, 09:39 AM
Much better than spending it on booze, drugs, gambling etc... At least you got something to show for it, and unlike the things I mentioned before, cars last a long time. Being drunk doesnt.

EK 2.0
03-16-2004, 10:07 AM
In a nutshell...

For the love of the game man...thats why we all do it...

QuasarCav
03-16-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by DeathBy240
Much better than spending it on booze, drugs, gambling etc... At least you got something to show for it, and unlike the things I mentioned before, cars last a long time. Being drunk doesnt.

Exactly, I would probably spend it on something else. I see it like a challenge. How long can I keep fixing/modifying this car until i go broke or insane.

Ferio_vti
03-16-2004, 01:41 PM
Cuz you can do it while you still can.
Once you get married, buy a house, start a family, etc
You won't have the chance to do anything fun again. Well, fun with a car anyways.

max_boost
03-16-2004, 01:41 PM
I use to do that, but now instead of putting all the money into a so so car. I'm taking the 'mod money' and saving it towards a blinging car hehe:drool: :D

colinderksen
03-16-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by DeathBy240
Agreed, but I spend all my money on booze and drugs and have to use the rest to gamble with to make back all the money I wasted. :D

heavyD
03-16-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by finboy
upon looking at my T4's for the year, and in making 17,000, i can't really figure how i spent all of it on my car. funny part is, a large chunk of it has gone into my cars in some way form or shape, be it garage rent, insuance, parts, or buying random cars.

now admitadly very few of those parts are slightly used aftermarket parts, and the cars cost next to nothing, but still i keep on spending. if i need it, i'll do whatever possible to get the parts for my car, even if it won't be going on for months. i can only imagine how bad it is having a car with a jdm motor, and not having motors available for 200 bucks each.

still, i'll keep spending, even when the car's running, i don't think it will ever be done. already i'm looking at a complete suspension overhaul, a bit more of a brake upgrade, looking at a more efficient turbo, etc. but for the brief time when the turbo spools and the car blows the tires away all through 2nd gear, it makes it all worth it.

why do you sacrifice everything for your car?

I'm assuming that you are pretty young due to the amount of money you make but let me tell you that it doesn't get any easier when you make more money. My woman and I make over $100K/yr combined and I spend every last dollar on my car. We have more arguments about me spending money on my car than anything else by far. The addiction never ends.:banghead:

VWhooligan
03-16-2004, 02:04 PM
this is my hobby, hobbies cost money.

Moonracer
03-16-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by shadowz
Better than running around getting into trouble, IMO money well spent as long as youre having fun doing it

Having fun is what it's all about, the day I stop having fun is the day I die! ;)

djfob
03-16-2004, 03:33 PM
If you don't blow it one one thing it will be another. Might as well put it towards a car that you enjoy everyday.:thumbsup:

ApexDrift
03-16-2004, 03:34 PM
the main killer for me is GAS and insurence. parts wise you can still sell them off and make a little bit of money back...

i would rather save the money and buy a house

switch
03-16-2004, 03:43 PM
I just figured I spend about $11000 /yr in payments/gas/insurance/maintenance for my car. I actually thought it would be much worse.

NickGT
03-16-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by djfob
If you don't blow it one one thing it will be another. Might as well put it towards a car that you enjoy everyday.:thumbsup:

my reason as well :thumbsup:

JustinL
03-16-2004, 05:08 PM
Because I enjoy it so damn much.

A_3
03-16-2004, 05:12 PM
gas kills me, my car might have the worst fuel economy out there to... yeah v8:thumbsdow (at least gas money wise). Decided i'm going to invest in a v4 for the summer :D .

Speed_Dreams
03-16-2004, 05:16 PM
Because its one of the only things that i can relax while doing. weather it be spending hours reading post after post on beyond or spending hours with a q-tip inside the air vents its fun either way. plus you get to see it progress. its like a child

///M3
03-16-2004, 05:23 PM
id take a bullet for my car:D

three.eighteen.
03-16-2004, 05:32 PM
to know that you can get to the next stoplight .0001 sec faster, that you can hit that offramp at 5km faster, that you can stand on your brakes for eternity and they wont fade, getting slammed back into your seat every time you floor it, the feeling of power reverberating through your car and you...driving is an experience, a communication between man and machine

with mods you are loving your car, and the next time you flog on it, it loves you back just a little more

Moonracer
03-16-2004, 05:51 PM
^^^I think I'm gonna cry!^^^ :rofl:

///M3
03-16-2004, 05:53 PM
i also work on my friends car even tho i prolly wont get to drive it. I just enjoy seeing how fast or nice you can make a slow everyday stock car.
and theres always somthing i wont like about a stock car. so i change it to my liking.

three.eighteen.
03-16-2004, 05:54 PM
hehe i actually pondered what to write in that post, i kept writing stuff and i felt it didnt really equate to what driving really means to me (and i figure most of you guys), that post went thru like 4 drafts :rofl:

///M3
03-16-2004, 05:55 PM
is there even such thing as a v4?:dunno:

ApexDrift
03-16-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
to know that you can get to the next stoplight .0001 sec faster, that you can hit that offramp at 5km faster, that you can stand on your brakes for eternity and they wont fade, getting slammed back into your seat every time you floor it, the feeling of power reverberating through your car and you...driving is an experience, a communication between man and machine

with mods you are loving your car, and the next time you flog on it, it loves you back just a little more

that was beautiful man!

blinkme_210
03-16-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by ///M3
is there even such thing as a v4?:dunno:

Don't think so.... all 4 bangers are inline.

finboy
03-16-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by blinkme_210

i believe one of the earlier willy's jeeps used a v4

EDIT: boxer motors

NickGT
03-16-2004, 11:18 PM

http://members.shaw.ca/cyrus08/smiles/bowdown.gif http://members.shaw.ca/cyrus08/smiles/bowdown.gif http://members.shaw.ca/cyrus08/smiles/bowdown.gif http://members.shaw.ca/cyrus08/smiles/bowdown.gif

SO true!

EK 2.0
03-16-2004, 11:22 PM
*snip*...and the next time you flog on it, it loves you back just a little more...*snip*

Unless its a DSM and it breaks...:D

///M3
03-16-2004, 11:22 PM

EDIT: boxer motors boxer engines are flat not a "V" shape.:)

finboy
03-16-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by ///M3
boxer engines are flat not a "V" shape.:)

whould have specified, my boxer comment was to this...

davidI
03-16-2004, 11:39 PM
I do it because if I can justify spending close to 4 grand on insurance I might as well throw a bit of cash into making driving enjoyable :thumbsup:

01sohccivic
03-16-2004, 11:52 PM
I do it because I am a attention whore:clap:

88CRX
03-17-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by 01sohccivic
I do it because I am a attention whore:clap:

haha.... atleast someone admits the truth :D

method
03-17-2004, 12:03 AM
I dont, spend money on other junk at the moment.

Ferio_vti
03-17-2004, 05:02 PM

EDIT: boxer motors

Never seen or heard of V4's. But there have been V5's in VW Golfs.