PDA

View Full Version : BC Moto rides

speedog
02-11-2016, 12:32 PM
User jacky4566 made up a new Google Map of the rides I detailed elsewhere on Beyond and taught this dog a new trick in Google Maps - please suggest other rides that could be added to this map and share it as you wish.

Anyhow, have a look see here (https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=ztPnWtAagSZs.k2eUDTY9AfbQ) - remember this is a work in progress and any suggestions that can be done to improve this Google Map will be considered. Please note that this isn't meant for mainstream highways because for the most part, you just can't have unimpeded fun on them - the ones listed so far are out of the way 2 lane blacktops with some hardpack tossed in and I've only seen police on them when there's been an accident. They are not day drives from Calgary, plan a weekend or more to get the most enjoyment out of them and if I remember some local, kind of not well known things along these routes, I'll try to figure out how to add them.

Please note that I haven't ridden since 1993 but I did do a fair bit of riding in mid-southern BC in the late-80's to early-90's and was always on the hunt for those more obscure paved great roads. Some of these I have never ridden on a motorbike, only done them in a cage but I can still see recognize them for what they are and they are enjoyable in almost any type of vehicle - hell, we've done the Barriere to Squillax route in a Chev Trailblazer towing an enclosed cargo trailer and had a hoot.

Mod's - please feel free to move to another subforum but this just seemed the best fit to me - if it's gains traction and the map gets better, it could warrant a sticky, reaction in this thread will give an idea on that.

6Speeder
02-11-2016, 11:25 PM
Great thread.

On of my favorites is Creston -> Crawford Bay, take the ferry across Kootenay Lake then head north to Kaslo, then the 31A to New Denver -> Nakusp -> Shelter Bay ferry.

The road between Kaslo and New Denver is excellent. Nice tarmac and reasonable speed limits.

Also, when it comes to dual sport, I've heard good things about the Gray Creek pass between Kimberley and Gray Creek. I don't have the right bike for gravel roads, but I might take the truck through this summer.