PDA

View Full Version : Setting up the Telus modem with a secondary router - did I do it right?

ZMan2k2
02-11-2016, 02:47 PM
So, here's the situation. I have an Asus RT-N66U router, and I had it set up to handle all the broadcasting of the Telus router. Had it handling multicast, TV, internet, etc. Then I got bored. Put the Telus router in, and, IMO, I get a better picture with the Telus router.

So, I decided to use the Telus router to handle TV duties, and use my Asus for the rest of my gear, receiver, XBoxOne, TV, movie server. This is what I did.

I have a hardline running from the Telus router to the PVR from the Telus modem, I also have the wireless box transmitter plugged into the Telus modem. Then I have a hardline running from the Telus modem to my Asus router, which I have set up as an access point. The only thing in my house that uses 5GHz is the XBoxOne, which is hardwired, and my phone, so I turned that transmission off. I now have my Asus router set up as an access point with the 2.4GHz transmitter turned on, with the same network name and password as the Telus modem. The are at different ends of the house. The Asus router is in my entertainment unit, with my movie server, XBoxOne, TV, and receiver plugged into it.

Is there anything more I have to do, or am I good? I've never used multiple routers before, just switches, but I want to use the Asus router, mainly as a music streamer, because I have a HDD plugged into one of the USB ports to stream FLAC files to my receiver. The USB port on the Telus router is inactive.

Did my junior networking skills work here, or is there something else I have to do, to secure the network, or set the Asus router up to work another way. Right now it has a static IP, and everything registers in my main network.

Thaco
02-11-2016, 03:40 PM
you should probably give them different IP ranges so they dont fight over the devices, like make one 192.168.0.1-160ish and the other 192.168.1.161-254 or change the subnet on one of them to 192.168.1.1

or you could plug router 2 in to router 1 and turn off dchp so router 1 is the only one dishing ip addresses.

First Router
DHCP to use the range 192.168.1.3-192.168.1.254
A wireless channel like 11
Second Router
DHCP is disabled
Identical wireless security setup as First Router
Except the wireless Channel. Try channel 6 if the first is 11.
Plug hard-wire into the LAN port, not the WAN port.

there are lots of ways to do it

pheoxs
02-11-2016, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
you should probably give them different IP ranges so they dont fight over the devices, like make one 192.168.0.1-160ish and the other 192.168.1.161-254 or change the subnet on one of them to 192.168.1.1

or you could plug router 2 in to router 1 and turn off dchp so router 1 is the only one dishing ip addresses.

there are lots of ways to do it

He has the secondary router set up as an access point rather than a router so this should not be an issue. The primary (Telus) box should act as the DHCP server.

@OP Everything looks correct how you've done it.

ZMan2k2
02-11-2016, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs

He has the secondary router set up as an access point rather than a router so this should not be an issue. The primary (Telus) box should act as the DHCP server.

@OP Everything looks correct how you've done it.

That's correct. It's set up as an access point. Thanks guys, I'll rest easy knowing my limited knowledge got "one out of one right." :D