PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Impreza - school me

speedog
02-14-2016, 02:16 PM
2003 Impreza - school me, link (http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2003-subaru-impreza-hatchback/1135550186?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true).

I honestly know dip shit about Subaru's, 21 year old son wants to look at this one. Price seems low for it's age and mileage as best as I've been able to figure. What to look for, what could be hidden time bombs, how easy are parts to come by, new or used?

Obvious stuff like tires, windows, leaks, body and possibly brakes I should be able to figure out but do these have long standing notorious issues, electrical gremlins, etc?

R154
02-14-2016, 02:49 PM
umm. You dont want that car. Firstly it has 1k+ views and no one has bought it? It has been up for 3 weeks... Second, he said he bought it a few months ago and is now basically fleeing the country. No way to really know about the state or condition from the previous owner. He obviously hasnt done anything to maintain it.

Run for you life.

If it is to good to be true, it normally is.

revelations
02-14-2016, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by speedog
2003 Impreza - school me, link (http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2003-subaru-impreza-hatchback/1135550186?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true).

I honestly know dip shit about Subaru's, 21 year old son wants to look at this one.

If 21 y/old son is not technically inclined, then I would also suggest looking elsewhere. I'm no suubie expert, but this is a vehicle that will likely need special work done to it.

edit - ask the question in a WRX forum and you get results !

http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/greetings-wanting-know-common-problems-early-wrx-27845/

There are better vehicles in that year/price range that would yield much better results to be honest.

Hallowed_point
02-14-2016, 03:58 PM
"It is in great conditions" That statement alone tells me all that I need to know.

speedog
02-14-2016, 04:58 PM
Guy apparently doesn't have a good command of the English language, we'll go kick tores anyways - good learning experience for my son.

revelations
02-14-2016, 05:18 PM
Not that its 100% reliable, but the neighbourhood of the seller is also a good sign of how well the vehicle may have been taken care of.

A vehicle that (spent most of its time) in the depths of the NE probably had the bare, absolute minimum amount of work vs. a vehicle like this from the nicer part of town ..... but youd have to ask the seller about the LOCATION of the previous owner.

redblack
02-14-2016, 06:25 PM
Head gaskets were a problem with that era EJ25 sohc engines

zieg
02-14-2016, 06:34 PM
head gaskets, piston slap, coming up on the worst years for cracked oil pickup tubes (and turbine housings), pretty easy to break that trans, other similar models go for 3x the price.. nope.

Sentry
02-14-2016, 06:50 PM
I've seen that one as well just randomly browsing kijiji. Pre-purchase inspection at VEX would be ideal. If there's anything to find they'll find it.

speedog
02-14-2016, 07:01 PM
Always interesting checking out used cars - this one, my son emailed him and asked him if it had a turbo and the guy replied that it was a semi turbo, whatever the hell that is. So we get there and he just gives us the keys and tells to take it for the drive and he went back inside, not something I would've done but whatever. Started nice, clutch was very good but right away there were what sounded like ticking tappet noises from driver's side of the engine only.

Pulled over a few blocks away and popped the hood, engine was rusty all over the place which seemed odd to me plus there was most definitely ticking sounds from the driver's side of the engine. It also idled at around 350rpm which seemed low to me. My son said it had WRX seats in it and WRX door panels while the steering wheel and a few other things were not WRX spec - this I do not know if true or not. I do know that the bumper and hood were not stock and figured out why he said it was a semi turbo - probably because of the hood scoop. Rad also looked like it had been replaced.

Rust around tops of both rear wheel wells, dents on hatch, windshield needed replacing, front subframe seemed rustler than it should be, brake pads in the front would need replacing. Tires were good winters. Smoker's car inside which grosses me out. Newer bumper was scraped on one side.

Just wasn't worth pursuing in our opinion, too many niggling little things but a great little car to show my son what might be alright and what was not. There'll be better cars out there for him to look at in the coming months.

Sugarphreak
02-14-2016, 07:09 PM

Sentry
02-14-2016, 07:40 PM
I think that's the equivalent of domestic guys saying their cars "run 10s" or have "five hunnert horsepower".

revelations
02-14-2016, 08:15 PM
Many owners have no idea what a turbo is or does.

One owner proudly declared the timing belt cover as the turbo to me .....

know1edge
02-14-2016, 08:38 PM

D'z Nutz
02-14-2016, 11:31 PM
Rust around tops of both rear wheel wells, dents on hatch, windshield needed replacing, front subframe seemed rustler than it should be, brake pads in the front would need replacing. Tires were good winters. Smoker's car inside which grosses me out. Newer bumper was scraped on one side.

This is what's referred to as "Kijiji-grade mint".

toastgremlin
02-17-2016, 04:39 PM
I got a much nicer stock 2003 TS wagon for $2500 a few years ago from a lady in Edmonton and I still think I overpaid.

That thing is ragged. Poor little Outback Sport :(

speedog
02-17-2016, 05:54 PM
Took a 2002 Impreza WRX wagon out for a test drive yesterday off of a used lot, much better condition and lower mileage. This one had the full turbo as opposed to the semi turbo, not going to wheel and deal on it though as I think it was overpriced at $7,900 plus rust right through the one rear fender and front end had been repainted probably a few years back, lots of fairly apparent overspray.

Never the law, it's the start of a good education for my son, got to experience a used car sales guy yesterday who claimed the rust on the rear fader was minor even though it had earn right through the fender - guess my idea of minor rust is different than his. Car was also going to bed new front tires fairly son. Told my son we'd keep kicking tires, the right one will come along in time and until then he'll learn some stuff.

Mitsu3000gt
02-17-2016, 06:19 PM
You could tell from the ad that was an enormous POS, wouldn't have even been on my radar. As you say though, perhaps a good learning experience for your son.

Nothing is worse than shopping for used cars in the low-ish price category, you get to deal with a whole new type of individual, and ridiculous amounts of your time will be wasted on "mint" cars that aren't even roadworthy when you go take a look. Everyone just wants to unload their POS on the next sucker. Definitely get an inspection on anything you're serious about.

FixedGear
02-17-2016, 07:49 PM
Slow and cheap interior - interior was about equivalent to my 1988 Hyundai excel (not kidding).

relyt92
02-17-2016, 07:56 PM
Way less fun but my dad is going to be looking at getting rid of an 03 (I think) Acura EL for like $2700 or something, under 200k, two sets of tires and bunch of work done in the last year. PM me if you want more details.

rx7boi
02-18-2016, 03:24 PM
This one had the full turbo as opposed to the semi turbo

:rofl: classic

bjstare
02-18-2016, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by rx7boi

:rofl: classic

NoPulp
02-18-2016, 04:11 PM
Just to warn you... if your son wants a wrx, they're all grossly overpriced for their age/km/condition. The ones you figure are a good price, usually have major issues.

The wagon reminds me of the focus with the roush turbo I came up to calgary to see. Photos looked okay and I just ready to drive it home, but in person it was the most haggered thing. Issues every where I looked, in the end I wouldn't have wanted it even if it was free. Guy seemed upset that I didn't want to buy it.

speedog
02-18-2016, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by NoPulp
Just to warn you... if your son wants a wrx, they're all grossly overpriced for their age/km/condition. The ones you figure are a good price, usually have major issues.

The wagon reminds me of the focus with the roush turbo I came up to calgary to see. Photos looked okay and I just ready to drive it home, but in person it was the most haggered thing. Issues every where I looked, in the end I wouldn't have wanted it even if it was free. Guy seemed upset that I didn't want to buy it.

Noted, when I was in my early 20's I used to kick tires on used cars just for something to do so I'm finding this kind of fun.

Disoblige
02-18-2016, 05:17 PM

Noted, when I was in my early 20's I used to kick tires on used cars just for something to do so I'm finding this kind of fun.
Valuable father and son bonding time!

Maxx Mazda
02-19-2016, 01:31 AM
Honestly, even if it is a complete piece of shit, take your son to look at it anyways. (Whichever cars he narrows down.) it's a valuable learning experience for him to see what's out there and what to look for.

n1zm0
02-19-2016, 10:35 AM
OP is it his first car or something? Or is it his first car he's buying with his own money? Or is he just looking for a new (used) car for his DD?

revelations
02-19-2016, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by NoPulp

When I do out of town deals like that I ask for emailed, recent HQ photos or I wont bother ... for this reason.

Mitsu3000gt
02-19-2016, 12:02 PM
If you know you're not interested in a particular car, I wouldn't go look at it - you're wasting someone else's time too.

If it's a POS being listed as "mint" well then I have a lot less respect for that person's time :rofl:

Stephen81
02-19-2016, 01:05 PM
Guy apparently doesn't have a good command of the English language, we'll go kick tores anyways - good learning experience for my son.

this made me chuckle lol

g-m
02-19-2016, 08:08 PM
You should check out mine. Obviously willing to deal, very mechanically sound.http://m.kijiji.ca/cars-trucks/calgary/2002-subaru-wrx-sedan/v?adId=1141025752&ck=CK&from=Search&ts=1455933873868