PDA

View Full Version : Quality prefab shower kits

StreetRacerX
02-15-2016, 12:38 PM
My gripes have finally been answered and we are renovating our basement bathroom, only problem is that I've only been given a budget or $1200 for a new shower for the corner, the bathroom is only a touch over 30 square feet(5x6') so ideally I want to go with a prefab shower kit due to size and budget contraints. The kit that was originally installed was a cheap leaking MAAX Cosmos, when I first went through Home Depot the MAAX Olympia caught my attention, looked up the reviews and its not a great unit and the walls aren't included in the kit price. After looking through HD, Lowes, and Rona's online catalogs and reading the reviews I've decided to reach out to Beyond for recommendations of good quality prefab corner shower kits with walls that will meet the budget I've been given.

JDMMAN
02-15-2016, 09:02 PM
StreetRacerX - Pre-fab units may not be the best option due to the fact you may have to pay more for relocating the drain location such that it matches with the new base. If the location of the drain doesn't have to be relocated using a pre-fab kit, consider just buying the base and doors and having the walls tiled. It gives it a custom look while not being too expensive. Also gives you wider range of choices between shower panel vs. regular shower faucet.

When I re-did the shower in the basement, it was a corner unit, I used a pre-fab'd MAAX one but did some further customized work to the walls and base to make it more durable.

StreetRacerX
02-16-2016, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by JDMMAN
StreetRacerX - Pre-fab units may not be the best option due to the fact you may have to pay more for relocating the drain location such that it matches with the new base. If the location of the drain doesn't have to be relocated using a pre-fab kit, consider just buying the base and doors and having the walls tiled. It gives it a custom look while not being too expensive. Also gives you wider range of choices between shower panel vs. regular shower faucet.

When I re-did the shower in the basement, it was a corner unit, I used a pre-fab'd MAAX one but did some further customized work to the walls and base to make it more durable.

Anything plumbing related I will be doing myself, I've decided to go with the MAAX Olympia anyway and make alterations to it to prevent leaks, the only thing I don't like based on the reviews is that the base consists of Styrofoam which can break the caulking seal to the walls when it moves, although I didn't notice it when I was jumping in the shower at the store. I will be using a standard single lever Moen rough in with a rain shower shower head as water gets under the door from angled shower heads.

I thought about tile walls but since its going to be me and the brother in law doing the floor I'd rather not risk it as he's only tiled once before and I've never tiled.

JDMMAN
02-16-2016, 03:49 PM
StreetRacerX - if your walls are prep'd properly (proper water proof membrane over concrete board), tiling the wall won't be any more difficult than the floors.

That said, if you're using just mold resistant drywall, you may want to consider using some sort of water sealant behind the walls.

For the shower pan, what I did was use a sand/topping mix to level out the floor and then set the pan on top. This provided a sturdier base for the shower pan so that the styrofoam will not break into pieces.