PDA

View Full Version : wireless router

xkon
03-16-2004, 02:09 AM
Lets say my neighbors are dumb and have their wireless routers on but without any security... would there be any way to notice if i logged on? I noticed when i hooked up to mine i saw three others close by, whats stopping me from cancelling my shaw and just piggybacking them? LOL

you'd think security would be common sense, but i think not!!!

KLCC
03-16-2004, 03:04 AM
You are probably better off using shaw....those wireless router are subjected to 2.4 Ghz telephones interference and they are not that fast in terms of transmission speed. (I guess most likely they have 802.11b router rather than 802.11g), either way they are much slower than shaw.....but if there is no security to the wireless signal, you can save up to 40 dollars a month I suppose..... :D

Gonthro
03-16-2004, 08:48 AM
you "Could" do it, but i wouldn't recommend it if you depend on your internet... because they could wise up any time and you are SOL...

xkon
03-16-2004, 09:02 AM
ha ha ha i know, id never cancel shaw... just curious aout wireless security, (or lack of)

Davetronz
03-16-2004, 10:03 AM
Well, we had the same issue with my girlfriends house.
Damn I wish my neighbour in my new house had wireless with a broadcasted SSID and no WEP. I cant afford this internet shit!

Anyways, there is probably no chance that he will find out if he is stupid enough to broadcast his network like that.

The only think that you may have problem with is getting a consistent and strong signal strength. The signal you get might be degraded quite a bit.

Dave

nosegrindR
03-16-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Gonthro
you "Could" do it, but i wouldn't recommend it if you depend on your internet... because they could wise up any time and you are SOL...

Yes, shaw can track your ip down,
but they really can't do anything if one of their customers have a wireless router and they forgot to change the security settings on it.

Chances are they don't even know you're using their internet. And if the did find out, just say you didn't know

mo_virgin
03-16-2004, 10:37 AM
I live in a condo building and i receive 5 strong signals without ssid or WEP, if you want a strong signal go build an antenna, there really easy to make... about half an hour and 6 dollars. Just search on the web for "pringles antenna"

Akagi Redsuns
03-16-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by xkon
Lets say my neighbors are dumb and have their wireless routers on but without any security... would there be any way to notice if i logged on? I noticed when i hooked up to mine i saw three others close by, whats stopping me from cancelling my shaw and just piggybacking them? LOL

you'd think security would be common sense, but i think not!!!

It is easy enough to check the log and see what IPs to what MAC Addresses the DHCP is assigning things too. Of course the, logic says that if they leave the connection wide-open, they probably don't know about the logs or settings and don't care. And even if they see the logs, they need to know thier own MAC Addresses to realize that something is amiss, or if there are more connections than computer might be a clue :)

I am anal about my wireless setup, MAC filtering on, DCHP disabled, SSID broadcast disabled, WEP enabled and just for fun, I changed the IP of the router network.

turboMiata
03-16-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by xkon
whats stopping me from cancelling my shaw and just piggybacking them? LOL

The Law? :dunno: :dunno:

xkon
03-16-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by turboMiata

LOL

note the sarcasm in my statement!

I have my own locked down wireless router, just curious about the other ones that show up... and they all have strong signals!!

gongSHOW
03-16-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by turboMiata

Notice the LOL, in the statement meaning laugh out loud. Anyways on my wireless router (SMC 802.11g) , I enabled WEP, but on the main screen it says all the mac addresses who have every been logged on to the router and display their "computer name". If they have any common sense they could realize their name is Adolf or something like that. Their are tons of people who don't know how to set it up, but meh its their own fault :D

EternalRage
03-31-2004, 10:31 PM
i live in the new point of view condo's in southpoint, and there are tons of people her running insecure wireless networks, i think i can locate about 4 on my side of the building alone!,

Strider
04-01-2004, 12:09 PM
so what's to stop people living in condos from knowingly sharing their high speed connections?

EternalRage
04-01-2004, 01:03 PM
nothing really, you would just have to go and talk with your neighbours,

Gonthro
04-01-2004, 01:14 PM
if i was in a condo i'd have the account with telus and i'd "go halfers" with like 3-4 people in the building and have them pay for my internet x2 hehe

xkon
04-06-2004, 12:41 AM
hmmm i should do that with my neighbors... just not tell them though and run a wireless network off their account :)