PDA

View Full Version : Summer Poker Run?

Sugarphreak
02-18-2016, 09:06 AM

RedApe
02-23-2016, 12:14 PM
Hmmm, intrigued. These are often a lot of fun, and a heck of a lot of planning and setup. I've organized 3-4 in the past.
So, pencil me in :)

Sugarphreak
02-29-2016, 08:01 PM

ercchry
02-29-2016, 08:06 PM
You'd think in this day and age events would be more inclusive...

Sugarphreak
02-29-2016, 09:41 PM

ercchry
02-29-2016, 09:55 PM
Well now that you've edited the OP... Haha

At the lake we do an annual poker run with boats, instead of having volunteers just hanging out at one spot there is a lead car/boat and it hands out the cards... Everyone hangs out for a bit... Or has a less direct route vs the lead car and just repeat for each stop

Sugarphreak
02-29-2016, 09:59 PM

RedApe
03-01-2016, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

However, I was also hoping to have something that was a bit more challenging than just following cars from point to point. We could do a hand out of envelopes with a handful of random locations, to get your cards you have to go to the location and take a cell phone picture of your car there.

Anyway, these were the kind of details I wanted to discuss with whomever wants to hep put it together

I've got ideas on this front...it's a nice 'spin' on the traditional Poker type events. :)

Sugarphreak
03-01-2016, 08:46 AM

ercchry
03-01-2016, 10:48 AM
Should get a speeddog type to write clues, solve the problem to find the next location... But yeah I have a bit of free time to help figure something out

Sugarphreak
03-01-2016, 12:03 PM

killramos
03-01-2016, 12:06 PM
Sounds like fun to me, I would participate. Sounds like a raw deal for volunteers though which is going to be the toughest part.

Sugarphreak
03-01-2016, 12:18 PM

ercchry
03-01-2016, 12:22 PM
Wait, are you thinking a city based run?

Sugarphreak
03-01-2016, 12:25 PM

Mibz
03-01-2016, 12:38 PM
I was thinking we could do various comical routes based on top posting Beyonders... for a MaxBoost themed route we could send them down to Chinatown for a picture for instance, or for a Zenops route we could send them over to the coin store for a picture. I dunno, Calgary only has so many gay bars.

Sugarphreak
03-01-2016, 12:39 PM

RedApe
03-02-2016, 11:58 PM
http://bc4x4.com/tr/2001/mysteryrun/ (most of the pics have long since been lost...it was 2001)

Similar ideas to what we did years ago: more like a treasure hunt. We gave each group a disposable camera (phones with camera's didn't really exist then), and sent them out with nothing more than a riddle about a specific trail/landmark. At the landmark = a card, with bonus points for the most interesting picture (note one group enrolled the help of the RCMP in cavity inspection mode in the banner).

In this format, the volunteers did all the work ahead of time, and the day of the event was nothing more than laughing at the gong show, and drinking coffee. :)

ercchry
03-07-2016, 12:29 PM
What if we use an app? There is a free one called "geo race" you can create questions and use the gps in the phone to force people to be in a certain location in order to view the question, and you can set a final message when all the locations are solved which could be "meet here to collect your cards" everyone would just set their usernames to their beyond names for easy tracking of results... Only problem would be that I don't see it in the google play store... So each team would need an iPhone.... Stupid android

pheoxs
03-07-2016, 12:33 PM
Sounds interesting, if I'm free I'd be up for it

ercchry
03-07-2016, 01:21 PM
oh! found a cross platform app... checking it out now

EDIT: its called Scavify... not nearly as good as the apple apps i found, but it is a lot more polished i guess... BUT over 5 people/event and its $500!!! wtf... i guess us organizers could all create the same event and have it password protected so each event has 5 teams assigned to it... it also doesnt seem to let you combine a checkin with a question to unlock the next location... the hunt continues but i think we can use an app for sure

Sugarphreak
03-07-2016, 01:33 PM

ercchry
03-07-2016, 01:40 PM
500$... shit, that is expensive :rofl:

I am in favor of an app, must be something out there we can use

gps quiz is pretty awesome... besides being able to skip check points... but apple only, the whole cross platform thing is not easy

scavify kinda sucks but i think we can work around it, it would be nice though to have questions and locations as mandatory... but on the somewhat more low-tech side of things we could print out some QR codes and stick them in different areas each one would have the address of the next location?

ercchry
03-07-2016, 03:18 PM
well, i cant find an app that fits the bill... and doesnt cost stupid money to run an event... so here is my idea:

QR codes pasted around the city... tons of free apps for all phones to read them

QR codes will link to a web page like so: http://bydpkrrun.blogspot.ca/p/blog-page.html

answer correct and you get coordinates to the next location, i will change the page names from "question1", "answer1", etc to random shit so there will be no haxoring... last coordinates will lead to the meet up location where we can figure out the cards/whatever

so basically for setup we'd need locations figured out, questions about those locations

then print out some QR codes that match the URLs and stick them at the coordinates, boom, done

the MOST fun way to find locations would be to download a geocache app that just gives you an arrow tot he direction of the QR... but really you can plug them into anything to get an idea of where to go, might still need one of those apps to pinpoint the QR as it wont be big

that work for everyone? if so the planning committee should get some questions and locations worked out

EDIT: im bored so i played around with it a bit... think it makes sense to have different start locations based on where people live... same stops but more of a choose your own adventure sort of thing, each quadrant works its way towards the final location vs running randomly around the city... also will give less traffic all at once since people will be staggered more.

RedApe
03-07-2016, 09:56 PM
The QR code idea is quite innovative: like it.

Just for interest sake:
http://www.thepokerrunapp.com/ (didn't look at, DL or otherwise).

ercchry
03-07-2016, 10:18 PM
Was going to say "how did I miss that one?!" ... Till I tried to download it haha.. USA only :cry:

Sugarphreak
03-07-2016, 10:37 PM

ercchry
03-07-2016, 11:09 PM
i have a buddy who could MAYBE design an app... but i think thats a lot to ask haha

rather have the funds go towards the pot than to some sort of app

got a way to track though, google forms:

so when you get the right answer you'd see this page (with coordinates), then on the back end it would fill in this sheet... where we can either confirm or randomly generate "cards"... issue being is that it is a true random, so the same cards could come up twice... but if you have enough people you end up with multiple decks anyways and ridiculous hands... so not that big of a deal

http://bydpkrrun.blogspot.ca/p/asdeds.html

http://i.imgur.com/FuS4Yi6.png^

Sugarphreak
03-07-2016, 11:26 PM

ercchry
03-07-2016, 11:40 PM
Hahaha, no more complex than custom lisp nonsense... But yeah I could setup a quick little route in town and print the qr codes, hell lets just do that with the final stop at a quiet pub and we can't hash out the actual route and any changes we need with whoever shows up?

03ozwhip
03-08-2016, 01:08 PM
It would be cool if I was in town for this, or at least some sort of summer cruise.

RedApe
03-08-2016, 11:11 PM
Nice...idea is getting better and better. I'm in.

ercchry
03-08-2016, 11:28 PM
well its basically all together, just need to get the QR codes to the locations and record the coordinates. so either we can actually do the full run or we can meet up and virtually do it? its just a simple inner city loop, maybe an hour worth of driving... im cool either way. just let me know what day works for you guys

Sugarphreak
03-09-2016, 10:53 AM

RedApe
04-09-2016, 07:04 AM
Well, 2nd has come and gone...did this happen whilst I was sleeping? :p

ianmcc
04-09-2016, 08:31 AM
I am interested in this if it is still happening (obviously not Apr 2nd!).
I think you are overthinking things as far as apps go.
How about getting one card to start along with the clues for the other four locations (one being the final destination) and having everyone take a selfie of themselves at each location to get a card.
In case of a tie the first one to arrive at the final destination is the tie breaker.

Sugarphreak
04-09-2016, 10:57 AM

ercchry
04-09-2016, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by ianmcc
I am interested in this if it is still happening (obviously not Apr 2nd!).
I think you are overthinking things as far as apps go.
How about getting one card to start along with the clues for the other four locations (one being the final destination) and having everyone take a selfie of themselves at each location to get a card.
In case of a tie the first one to arrive at the final destination is the tie breaker.

It's just a QR code at each stop linked to an already built webpage....

But yeah I'm free till may 12th then not till June, so any time before or after works for me

Skidro
04-09-2016, 05:25 PM
Sounds like fun!