PDA

View Full Version : Shaw Limited TV $25/month

schocker
02-18-2016, 09:38 AM
Shaw has finally released details for those wanting the CRTC mandated $25/month plan. This is of course mandatory in Canada March 1.

Can't seem to find telus' plan yet.

https://www.shaw.ca/television/limited-tv/

Lineup from RFD

Limited TV $25.00
3 CTV - CFCN Calgary
4 OMNI - CJCO Calgary
5 ABC - KXLY Spokane
6 CBC - CBRT Calgary
7 Global - CICT Calgary
8 CityTV - CKAL Calgary
9 CBC - CBXFT Alberta (Fr)
10 Shaw TV Calgary
12 CBS - KREM Spokane
13 CTV Two Alberta
14 PBS - KSPS Spokane
16 NBC - KHQ Spokane
19 The Weather Network
22 FOX - KAYU Spokane
51 Yes TV - CKCS Calgary
89 Civic / Ethnic
123 CPAC House of Commons
124 RDI - Réseau de l'information
125 TVA - CFTM Montreal (West - Fr)
126 TV5
127 APTN - Aboriginal People's TV Network
200, 5 ABC - KXLY Spokane
201, 12 CBS - KREM Spokane
202, 16 NBC - KHQT Spokane
203, 22 FOX - KAYU Spokane
204, 14 PBS - KSPS Spokane
209, 6 CBC - CBRT Calgary
210, 3 CTV - CFCN Calgary HD
211, 7 Global - CICT Calgary
212, 13 CTV Two
213, 8 CityTV - CKAL Calgary
214, 4 OMNI Calgary
215, 51 YesTV - CKCS Calgary
228 Weather Network HD (MPEG-4)
229 APTN (MPEG-4)
887 AMI-Télé
888 AMI TV - Accessibility Media Inc
889 Voice Print Mountain/Central (Radio)
910 CPAC House of Commons (Fr)
912 UNIS (West

Sports Packages

Pick 1 - $8/month, Pick 2 - $14/month

SportsNet Theme Pack
SportsNet (regional feed) - SD
SportsNet (regional feed 2) - SD
Golf Channel - SD
NHL Network - SD
SportsNet 360 - SD
SportsNet 1 - SD

TSN Theme Pack
TSN - SD
TSN 2 - SD
TSN 3 - SD
TSN 4 - SD
TSN 5 - SD
NHL Network - SD
Golf Channel - SD

Other Sports Package - $10/month
Golf Channel - HD
TSN - HD
SportsNet 360 - SD
SportsNet Pacific - SD

Sports packs are in SD though :rolleyes:

speedog
02-18-2016, 09:52 AM
Almost looks like TELUS' Essentials package which has been around for awhile now. Personally, I don't think the consumer is going to see much for change out of this unless Shaw and TELUS are forced to offer every channel they have in their line-up individually.

Pacman
02-18-2016, 09:55 AM
Doesn't look overly attractive. I was holding off on cancelling my shaw cable to see if they had anything interesting but I don't see much value in this package.

Mitsu3000gt
02-18-2016, 09:56 AM
LOL $8/mo for 2 SD sports channels, $25/mo for mostly SD channels nobody watches, and the HD channels everyone already gets for free with an antenna? What a joke, though I wasn't expecting anything better really. None of the cable companies are going to structure their plans in a way where you aren't paying exactly the same as you always have for the channels everyone wants.

ZenOps
02-18-2016, 09:59 AM
OTA Antenna FTW.

drtoohotty1
02-18-2016, 10:05 AM
I was told that if the tsn and sports net has hd versions of the channels they are also included in the package

speedog
02-18-2016, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by drtoohotty1
I was told that if the tsn and sports net has hd versions of the channels they are also included in the package

And who told you that?

speedog
02-18-2016, 10:13 AM
Actually, the TELUS Essentials package has quite a few more channels but probably nothing of any significance - most likely TELUS has something coming as well.

ZenOps
02-18-2016, 10:16 AM
I'd pay $5 for channels 200 through 204, which the continental USA gets for free anyhow.

speedog
02-18-2016, 10:39 AM
Did some more digging and it appears that carriers will be forced to sell any channel individually starting December 2016.

speedog
02-18-2016, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by ZenOps
I'd pay $5 for channels 200 through 204, which the continental USA gets for free anyhow.

Whoa, didn't you just comment further above OTA for the win and now you add in that you're paying for some non-OTA programming? So OTA isn't all it's cracked up to be per what you're actually doing.

drtoohotty1
02-18-2016, 10:46 AM
http://www.news1130.com/2016/02/18/companies-warned-about-not-promoting-skinny-cable-packages/ Shits getting real lol

schocker
02-18-2016, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by speedog
Did some more digging and it appears that carriers will be forced to sell any channel individually starting December 2016.
Had no idea of this, thought it also followed the March 1 date so that is good to know.

Telus for $35 esentials looks OK, but it doesn't seem to really include anything well above what Shaw is offering at $25. I might be interested to changing TV to them though as I have a TV in a room with no cable outlet so I could use that wireless tv box. All depends on their sports pricing.

Mitsu3000gt
02-18-2016, 11:19 AM
But at what price will the individual channels be set at? Most people only want a few channels (primarily sports). The rest is available online or OTA. I suspect it will be too expensive to be worth it for anyone just wanting a handful of channels. Or they will offer a "sports" package, throw in all the garbage and SD channels along with the 2 or 3 you actually want, and charge $20/mo.

ZenOps
02-18-2016, 11:39 AM

Whoa, didn't you just comment further above OTA for the win and now you add in that you're paying for some non-OTA programming? So OTA isn't all it's cracked up to be per what you're actually doing.

Unfortunately Calgary is too far away to get US programming.

Terrestrial signals only go about 150 miles before curvature of the earth makes it impossible to get a signal.

Over in the east, they can get plenty of US signals by pointing their antennae south.

I would be willing to pay $5 for those channels ($1 apiece that is) but currently I do not use cable for TV right now. If the CRTC would allow it, I can imagine they could broadcast NBC, ABC, CBS and PBS free OTA in Canada through the existing towers, but that is very unlikely to happen as the cable company would cockblock it.

BigMass
02-18-2016, 11:52 AM

Terrestrial signals only go about 150 miles before curvature of the earth makes it impossible to get a signal.

LIES!

ZenOps
02-18-2016, 11:58 AM
I know, the world is flat :P

speedog
02-18-2016, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by BigMass

LIES!
Not that it's easy to prove or disprove in Calgary but is it possible to get OTA signals from Lethbridge which is about 120 miles or so away? I don't think it's possible unless you have a huge ass high gain antenna on a fairly tall mast.

ZenOps
02-18-2016, 12:03 PM
72 miles is what I'm proud of, all six channels coming off COP, no special amplification or tower. Just an antenna specifically designed to channels 14 through 69.

Calgary has a distinct advantage in that we are physically high altitude to start with, and we put our towers on top of the highest point, Canada Olympic park.

Which means, with some effort you can go pretty far east and still get a usable signal. The rocky moutains pretty much will get in the way as soon as you start going west.

speedog
02-18-2016, 12:13 PM
Off topic but how does Lake Louise get ABC, TSN, NBC and PBS OTA?

Also, Taber appears to be Alberta's OTA sweet spot - reference document (http://www.global-cm.net/TV%20CAN-AB.pdf). Looks like Calgary can only get Calgary OTA.

cream
02-18-2016, 12:29 PM
Does anyone know if this Shaw Limited Package is the same as their current Personal TV one?

I currently have Personal TV ($43.00) + Sports 1 ($10.00).

I'll probably be replacing it with Shaw Limited ($25.00) + other sports pkg ($10.00).

Anyone else doing the same?

cream
02-18-2016, 12:36 PM
Scratch that, I compared it at their website.

You lose 24 channels to save $18/month.

http://www.shaw.ca/store/tv/tvPackageLanding.jsp?catId=cat820009

schocker
02-18-2016, 12:47 PM
^^^Yup. Includes sports and hgtv/history/food etc. I do want to keep hgtv and foodnetwork so I might hold off for a bit.

ZenOps
02-18-2016, 12:48 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_Alberta

http://www.cbc.radio-canada.ca/_files/cbcrc/documents/dtv-maps/tn-0006-tve-ab.pdf (old 2011 map, the CBC Calgary circle is much larger now that they have boosted the antenna height and power)

I'm pretty sure no one is supposed to be rebroadcasting US signals over a tower in Canada. But there are plenty of rogue TV station operators who will push out a weak signal until someone tattles on them.

If Trump gets in, I'm sure the chances of Canadians getting the free US nationals will disappear.

kenny
02-18-2016, 01:24 PM
Nothing good will come out of this forced a la carte TV programming change.

Popular channels that are included as part of bundles today will be priced accordingly. The big sports networks $7 each, other major networks $4-5 each with the crappier filler channels (the ones that don't disappear due to lack of subs) costing $1 each. Net result will be similar $ for less channels.

Those complaining about being forced to get channels they don't want have to realize they are essentially getting them for free as a bonus in addition to the channels they actually watch.

This reminds me of when telcos were forced to get rid of 3 year contracts and how all the prices for plans went up.

ShermanEF9
02-18-2016, 02:04 PM
Cancelling cable. Set up news groups and sickbeard.

Minimalist
02-18-2016, 06:51 PM
72 miles is what I'm proud of, all six channels coming off COP, no special amplification or tower. Just an antenna specifically designed to channels 14 through 69.

Calgary has a distinct advantage in that we are physically high altitude to start with, and we put our towers on top of the highest point, Canada Olympic park.

Which means, with some effort you can go pretty far east and still get a usable signal. The rocky moutains pretty much will get in the way as soon as you start going west.

Care to name the six channels?

I have CBC, Global, Citi-TV and the other three are a combination of ethnic and bible thumpers. In reality, I have three real channels at any one time, good chance Murdoch Mysteries will be on one of the three 24/7. :thumbsdow

beecue
02-18-2016, 07:06 PM
Where are you guys seeing other sports?

I only see TSN/Sportsnet which would mean it includes HD?

ZenOps
02-18-2016, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Minimalist

I have CBC, Global, Citi-TV and the other three are a combination of ethnic and bible thumpers. In reality, I have three real channels at any one time, good chance Murdoch Mysteries will be on one of the three 24/7. :thumbsdow

http://www.calgaryherald.com/entertainment/television/tv-listings/index.html#f=grid

Admittedly, very few people watch the YES channel. Asians love OMNI (multicultural). CBC, Global, CTV and City all have decent programming.

CBC usually has two hockey games on Saturday night. CTV usually runs a couple NFL games a week when in season, the NFL playoffs and Superbowl looked stunning on OTA. Since its uncompressed HD, the visual quality is better than that of Shaw or Telus.

That's why it would be nice to have the US nationals. If they could re-broadcast those as a free signal I think a great majority of casual watchers would switch back to rabbit ear. I play videogames twice as much as regular TV, and Netflix movies also twice as much as TV. Really, I just watch on Saturday night, the occasional NFL game, and half an hour of local news.

Lately I've been listening to Spotify more than watching TV. Am I glad I never bought cassette tapes, or CD's, or 99 cent digital downloads, its all free now.

jwslam
02-19-2016, 08:43 AM

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

Pacman
02-19-2016, 09:05 AM
For those of you getting the OTA channels, do you have an antenna inside the house or on the roof?

If it's in the house, is anyone using one of those "thin" ones that can hide behind a wall mounted television?

I'm in Strathcona (not far from the broadcast towers on Signal Hill) and curious if I could use an indoor, antenna behind the television.

mr2mike
02-19-2016, 09:22 AM
Off topic but how does Lake Louise get ABC, TSN, NBC and PBS OTA?

If it was HD I'd REALLY wonder.
My guess is it's due to the lack of infrastructure and small population.

:rofl: Hate Murdoch Mysteries. Who watches it?!?

Originally posted by Pacman
For those of you getting the OTA channels, do you have an antenna inside the house or on the roof?

If it's in the house, is anyone using one of those "thin" ones that can hide behind a wall mounted television?

I'm in Strathcona (not far from the broadcast towers on Signal Hill) and curious if I could use an indoor, antenna behind the television.
Mine's in the attic. (Homemade version) Cable run down to util room and then goes from there.
Have had a homemade one behind TV for awhile. I worked from there too.

ZenOps
02-19-2016, 09:24 AM
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/digiwave-digiwave-digital-tv-antenna-ant2190-ant2190/10193711.aspx?

Not to sound like an advert, but I like this one. Its a solid two meters long. With terrestrial antenna, longer is better (that's what she said)

They are about 1/3rd the price of a Channel Master, but seem to do just as well.

Whatever you try, get one that is designed for channels between 14 and 69.

Mitsu3000gt
02-19-2016, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Pacman

I use the popular monoprice antenna, and I don't even have to plug in the booster to get the channels in my concrete condo downtown. I'm guessing you would have no issues in Strathcona.

Minimalist
02-19-2016, 05:13 PM
I bought three indoor antennas at different price points, hooked each of them up, kept the best of the three (mid priced one) and returned the other two.

SportEL
02-19-2016, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I use the popular monoprice antenna, and I don't even have to plug in the booster to get the channels in my concrete condo downtown. I'm guessing you would have no issues in Strathcona.

Do you have a link to this and where to buy? Thanks.

01RedDX
02-19-2016, 11:41 PM

Dumbass17
02-20-2016, 09:42 AM
Sigh. Still can't figure out what to do.
We have Internet 30 and some stupid TB package for $132/month. But we only ever watch Hgtv and just apple TV and torrents for everything else. Not sure what to do but sick of paying so much... :dunno:

jwslam
02-20-2016, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
We have Internet 30 and some stupid TB package for $132/month. But we only ever watch Hgtv and just apple TV and torrents for everything else. Not sure what to do but sick of paying so much... :dunno:
I get my HGTV fix off kodi phoenix

Minimalist
02-20-2016, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17

Cancel the cable TV package 100% and remove the cable box from sight. You'll feel out of sorts for about a week. The second week onward you'll not even think about it. Nothing to lose, give it a shot.

Gain $1000 a year in after tax $$$. Start smoking? Buy oil futures? Nice 10 bottles of wine? Higher tier of internet speed?

Pacman
02-20-2016, 09:15 PM
Has anyone figured out how to record shows using the OTA antenna? Can you rig up some type of hard drive to an old computer ?

ZMan2k2
02-21-2016, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
I have a cheap flat antenna from Aliexpress, that I have connected to all the coax from the basement.

Now all 3 upstairs TVs get 6 glorious HD channels for free, without the need for separate antennas:
http://i.imgur.com/WzM1dop.jpg

For the projector in my home theatre, I got an ATSC tuner with USB PVR capabilities, also from Aliexpress:
http://i.imgur.com/BcCKHsw.jpg

and that's it. Don't miss Shaw at all, my kid was pissed about losing Treehouse TV at first but with Netflix, she forgot about it pretty quick.

Not going back to subscription TV until they start offering actual a la carte service and better equipment.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4730

Right here. Mentioned in the post. He bought a ATSC tuner with PVR function through USB. I assume that you just attach a USB drive to it, and you're set.

There's also the more expensive version, from ChannelMaster. It connects to the internet to get the program guide for your area, and you can pre-program for recording. I think there's two types, with and without a HDD, so you have the option of adding a huge HDD to one. But they are around $400, so, not cheap.

schocker
02-22-2016, 11:46 AM
For those that have an xbox one, it supports OTA using something like this:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/hauppauge-hauppauge-atsc-usb-digital-tv-tuner-for-xbox-one-1578/10381294.aspx

Should have program guide I think. I should give it a try. Not sure how good ota would be in sage hill though as there is a bunch of elevation in the way towards signal hill.

Edit:

If you buy it from the microsoft store, it is $75, but then you get $30 off the Mohu Leaf 50 HDTV Antenna so then you get both for $115 which might be a better route for a better antenna.

jwslam
02-22-2016, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by schocker
Not sure how good ota would be in sage hill though as there is a bunch of elevation in the way towards signal hill.

Originally posted by jwslam

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

Xtrema
02-22-2016, 12:50 PM
After going thru all the packages, I switched to Personal Best TV package and save myself ~$30 a month for the whole bill.

Slowly realize that TV cost is now only 25% of my Shaw bill.

schocker
02-22-2016, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

I tried that, but the only channel showing as green for me is CBC so not sure if I would get the others with a small antenna.

pheoxs
02-22-2016, 03:14 PM
My OTA antenna arrives tomorrow (Airdrie) gonna see what I can get for channels. TBH all I want is CBC for the odd hockey game and news when my dad visits.

drtoohotty1
03-01-2016, 09:54 AM
Well telus finally released their basic 25 dollar bundle.....they really took the crtc's rules to the absolute minimum possible lol

schocker
03-01-2016, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by drtoohotty1
Well telus finally released their basic 25 dollar bundle.....they really took the crtc's rules to the absolute minimum possible lol
Also you can't add it to the cart, you have to call in, and I don't think it is showing up when you build a bundle :rofl:

Shaw ftw. I will probably switch over next week and then I will order the xbox one usb tv tuner and see what I can get.

killramos
04-15-2016, 02:48 PM
CRTC Declares "Skinny Cable" packages popular with around 0.2% of Canadians taking advantage of the new services :rofl:

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/04/15/skinny-basic-cable-packages-popular-crtc

GATINEAU, Que. -- The country's broadcast regulator says tens of thousands of Canadians have either signed up for the first time or switched to the recently mandated skinny-basic TV packages.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission says more than 66,000 consumers have signed up to the new basic TV packages in the five weeks since cable and satellite service providers were required to offer them.

As well, the CRTC says more than one in three TV service subscribers have opted to buy individual channels, small packages or both.

Service providers including Bell, Rogers, Shaw and Cogeco began offering the new basic packages as of March 1 under new rules that cap the cost of service at $25 per month.

The CRTC also required service providers to offer either individual "pick-and-pay" channels or small bundles of no more than 10 channels.

Some consumers have complained about the new basic packages, even characterizing them as a "ripoff," because service providers take away bundling and other discounts offered with more expensive service options.

Many of the carriers also charge connection and cable box fees in addition to the $25 monthly charge, even as they often waive those same fees for their higher-cost bundled services.

As well, a handful of companies include U.S. TV network channels as part of their slimmed-down basic packages while others do not.

The CRTC said the subscription figures were provided by the carriers, which also include Access Communications, Eastlink, MTS, SaskTel, Shaw Communications, Telus and Videotron.

The service providers will be required to offer full pick-and-pay starting Dec. 1

Thanks for proving your continued relevence CRTC.
:nut:

schocker
04-15-2016, 02:55 PM
I switched. Fine with out so far, they provide the time shift channels also for some reason.