PDA

View Full Version : Dishwasher

RedDawn
02-18-2016, 04:11 PM
My dishwasher isn't draining properly. The tub is filled with water and I suspect the drain hose is plugged. To prevent the tub dumping out onto the floor when I disconnect the drain hose, do I need to manually empty the tub out before I disconnect the drain hose from the dishwasher? Or, as long as the pump isn't running, can I disconnect the drain hose?

mr2mike
02-18-2016, 04:18 PM
All that will dump out is what's currently in the drain hose. Maybe a cup of gross water.
Stuff in tub will sit there.

Can hold drain hose into sink and turn washer to drain part of the cycle. See if it's draining. You'll know then if it's a hose/pump issue or something in the P-trap.

RedDawn
02-18-2016, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
All that will dump out is what's currently in the drain hose. Maybe a cup of gross water.
Stuff in tub will sit there.

Can hold drain hose into sink and turn washer to drain part of the cycle. See if it's draining. You'll know then if it's a hose/pump issue or something in the P-trap.

That's a really good troubleshooting tip. I'm going to do that.

When doing it, and the drain hose is disconnected from the sink's main drain and going into the normal (top) sink drain, is there risk of water coming out from the dishwasher, flowing in from the normal drain and coming right back out the hole where the drain hose used to be connected? Or, can this simply be prevented by sticking the hose into the side of the sink that doesn't have the drain hose connection?

rx7_turbo2
02-18-2016, 05:55 PM
First thing is to determine if it's actually trying to drain and just can't because it's plugged. Or is the drain cycle not initializing at all.(as Mike said)

Once a year mine will just kind of stop at the draining operation and not run the pump. I can't reset it or start a new cycle, it just kind of locks out without any notice. This sounds stupid but I turn the circuit breaker off and back on and it clears whatever error and completes its cycle.

mr2mike
02-18-2016, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by RedDawn

flowing in from the normal drain and coming right back out the hole where the drain hose used to be connected? Or, can this simply be prevented by sticking the hose into the side of the sink that doesn't have the drain hose connection?

You can do either sink, sometimes the hose doesn't exactly reach too far to make it to the other sink. But the risk of water coming out is low unless you've got a sink draining issue.
As in, there's not enough flow rate from the washer drain hose to fill the sink to the point water would be coming back up that opening under the sink.

Watch, and by chance there is water coming out there, your finger would be enough to stop it.

RedDawn
02-19-2016, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike

You can do either sink, sometimes the hose doesn't exactly reach too far to make it to the other sink. But the risk of water coming out is low unless you've got a sink draining issue.
As in, there's not enough flow rate from the washer drain hose to fill the sink to the point water would be coming back up that opening under the sink.

Watch, and by chance there is water coming out there, your finger would be enough to stop it.

Thanks for the help! Loved how your answers were concise and right to the point.

mr2mike
02-19-2016, 01:45 PM
No problem. Hope it helped.