PDA

View Full Version : Bill of Sale Question

Ca_Silvia13
02-21-2016, 01:53 PM
I am looking at a car that was handed down to someone after their father pasted away. Car hasn't been registered since 1989 in the father's name. Father pasted away in 2005 and the son is now selling this car.

My concern is with signing over the Alberta registration card with the Fathers name on it and the son signing it. Am I over thinking this or is there a potential way I can get screwed on this?

It's not a 20,000 car but I don't want to be in a situation where I am out the cash and car because it's not a legal sale.

D'z Nutz
02-21-2016, 01:59 PM
Sounds like a sticky situation.

HomespunLobster
02-21-2016, 02:05 PM
Print off a bill of sale and buy it that way. Then you have the sellers info and the buyers info. Doesn't have to be sold by the dad

Ca_Silvia13
02-21-2016, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by HomespunLobster
Print off a bill of sale and buy it that way. Then you have the sellers info and the buyers info. Doesn't have to be sold by the dad

But doesn't it actually need to be sold by the registered owner?

My other idea was do the deal pending legit registration on my end. Basically do the deal at the registry, if the B.O.S. is good enough for the registry I'm good then right?

dirtsniffer
02-21-2016, 02:40 PM
I don't think you need to register a car to be the owner. As long as it's not reports stolen.

HomespunLobster
02-21-2016, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13

But doesn't it actually need to be sold by the registered owner?

My other idea was do the deal pending legit registration on my end. Basically do the deal at the registry, if the B.O.S. is good enough for the registry I'm good then right?

Bill of sale is fine. Last truck I bought was owned by the guys dad who is still alive, but hasn't been registered since 2002 or so.

Skrilla
02-22-2016, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
I don't think you need to register a car to be the owner. As long as it's not reports stolen.

Correct. Not sure if every province is like that, but in Alberta the current or last registered owner has nothing to do with that. I've used napkins as bills of sale before, they only look to see the VIN is on there with a price, and that two people signed it, one having to be you, the other irrelevant.

ExtraSlow
02-22-2016, 08:05 AM
Alberta is also the kind of place you could forge a bill of sale if you needed to.

Strider
02-22-2016, 09:46 AM
Only thing I'd ask for / check is whether the son is the executor of the estate or if he rightfully inherited ownership of the vehicle. Worst case would be he sells you the car, then a brother or wife starts claiming that he didn't have the right to sell it - although IANAL, so I don't know if this would come back to you or if it would remain a dispute amongst the family.

Kloubek
02-22-2016, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Sounds like a sticky situation.

Perfect. Just perfect.

master hec0
02-22-2016, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Alberta is also the kind of place you could forge a bill of sale if you needed to.

yup,

In the past I have lost registration/bill of sale for vehicles I didnt get around to putting on the road for some time.

you can literally write a bill of sale from anyone to yourself and that's all it takes to register a vehicle in Alberta.
unless the vehicle is reported stolen there is going to be no questions asked.

I too have used a napkin to purchase a vehicle in the past.

Redlyne_mr2
02-22-2016, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by master hec0

I too have used a napkin to purchase a vehicle in the past.

Napkin works but if you want a good laugh when you get to the registries do your next BOS on a speeding ticket.