PDA

View Full Version : Looking for *honest* Winnipeg car dealer

MyPants
02-22-2016, 09:07 AM
I'm moving there in a few days and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good car dealer. I've had enough experience with dealerships to know that many of them don't have the customer's best interest at heart.

I'd like to buy either a new or used car without getting effed in the a if you know what I mean. I don't particularly like cars or know much about them so I'm an easy target. I'm getting ready by reading as much as I can online about common rookie mistakes with insurance, etc, but it would be great to start with a dealership that won't necessarily start me off in the wrong direction.

I appreciate any info you can share. And any other on-topic tips you might want to throw are welcome too.

dirtsniffer
02-22-2016, 09:16 AM
Don't buy if you don't feel comfortable.

You won't get their best price without walking away.

sputnik
02-22-2016, 09:39 AM
What kind of vehicle are you looking for?

Some friends of mine have been buying vehicles from Nott Autocorp without any complaints.

www.nott.ca

MyPants
02-22-2016, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
www.nott.ca

Something under $15-17K. Though that will depend a little on how much there is to pay after the car is bought (where I come from you end up paying at least 10% above the car's cost on taxes, stickers, inspections and whatnot). I'm thinking something mid size or bigger, 4WD, 4 doors, maybe SUV. Something with a good resale price. Used/new is the same as long as the car's in good condition. I'' be driving in the city most of the time.

Redlyne_mr2
02-22-2016, 05:45 PM
Buy it here, get it registered and save yourself the PST/HST. When you get there transfer the registration to MB.

sputnik
02-23-2016, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Buy it here, get it registered and save yourself the PST/HST. When you get there transfer the registration to MB.

Just make sure you wait 30 days before moving to Manitoba (or just lie when MPI asks you when you moved to Manitoba).

If you try to transfer the car earlier you can still be charged PST. The same goes for if you buyout your lease in Alberta and transfer the car to Manitoba.

Total tax grab.

PST should NEVER be charged on used vehicles.

KPHMPH
02-23-2016, 06:57 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Jlude
02-23-2016, 09:01 PM

Some friends of mine have been buying vehicles from Nott Autocorp without any complaints.

www.nott.ca

I have never bought there, but I did inquire and speak to a few people and didn't get a good vibe. I haven't found that their prices are very good on vehicles, but that's why I'm not a customer. I know some of the Jets have bought here.

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

True, this works if you plan ahead.

At the end of the day, do your research on the car and dealer and you should be fine.

Welcome to the Peg! #GoJetsGo

sputnik
02-24-2016, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Jlude
I did inquire and speak to a few people and didn't get a good vibe.

Not surprising. I have yet to get a "good vibe" when buying a car from ANY car dealership never mind a used car lot.

That said. I REALLY like the new Subaru dealership on Regent. They have an EXCELLENT and very honest service department. I would happily buy a new Subaru from them.

Jlude
02-25-2016, 04:19 PM

Not surprising. I have yet to get a "good vibe" when buying a car from ANY car dealership never mind a used car lot.

That said. I REALLY like the new Subaru dealership on Regent. They have an EXCELLENT and very honest service department. I would happily buy a new Subaru from them.

I was just in Tampa with the guy who owns Auto Quest (friend of a friend), I don't know him well, but seems like a good guy.

The Audi dealer in Dieppe, New Brunswick where I bought my Q5 was great, really happy with the deal and also the various things they did for me when I was there during the first year of ownership.

I went to the MB dealer (new one on Kenaston) and was looking at the AMG GT-S, no one came over to talk to me after about 5 minutes of looking at the lines of the car, etc. I thought fine, I look like a bum, I'll go ask to speak with someone. I went to reception, she said someone would be right over, almost 10 minutes later of texting/emailing, I walked out. Not mad, just surprised.

darthVWader
02-25-2016, 04:46 PM
Make sure it has a "Z" in the name.

http://www.cruzs.ca/

sputnik
02-25-2016, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by darthVWader
Make sure it has a "Z" in the name.

http://www.cruzs.ca/

The owners last name is Cruz.

Gripenfelter
03-03-2016, 11:40 AM
I'm in Winnipeg. What type of car do you want? Pointe West Dealers are fairly good at Portage and The Perimeter.