PDA

View Full Version : Audi Quattro will all be FWD bias by 2017

Xtrema
02-22-2016, 05:09 PM
http://jalopnik.com/audis-high-tech-new-quattro-is-about-to-piss-off-its-bi-1760502139

All slip and grip going forward. No more permanent AWD.

schocker
02-22-2016, 05:18 PM
I saw something that this can't handle too much torque, so higher power audis will not be switching to this for now.

Mitsu3000gt
02-22-2016, 05:24 PM
Lame, but probably won't make a noticeable difference to 99% of drivers on the lower powered cars. Yay efficiency!

Redlyne_mr2
02-22-2016, 05:43 PM
Looks like VW and Audi will all share the same AWD systems to keep costs down.

bspot
02-22-2016, 05:53 PM
Sadness. Cars with Torsen centre diffs were endless fun in the snow. I agree with the article, if this drives at all like Haldex, this is a bad thing. Haldex has gotten way better, but nothing feels better than a proactive mechanical centre diff.

npham
02-22-2016, 06:04 PM
As long as they keep the S and RS lines with rear bias...they already lose market share to MB and BMW for those who want a rear wheel drive car. This will push the people on the fence over to the other two Germans.

Redlyne_mr2
02-22-2016, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by bspot
Sadness. Cars with Torsen centre diffs were endless fun in the snow. I agree with the article, if this drives at all like Haldex, this is a bad thing. Haldex has gotten way better, but nothing feels better than a proactive mechanical centre diff.
Problem is most people just don't care anymore hence the extinction of manuals, LSD and eventually combustion engines in general. We will all be driving CVT controlled sewing machines in 10 years. :(

bart
02-22-2016, 07:39 PM
ya whatever haldex is perfectly fine

as far as fun in the snow its just as good, i can do 360's in one spot sti style no problem

and as far as launching, there is no difference

avishal26
02-22-2016, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by npham
As long as they keep the S and RS lines with rear bias...they already lose market share to MB and BMW for those who want a rear wheel drive car. This will push the people on the fence over to the other two Germans.

except I'm pretty sure BMW and MB already have started putting FWD bias systems in their cars... isn't the benz CLA FWD or FWD bias?

rage2
02-22-2016, 09:02 PM
CLA GLA and B uses Haldex. The AMG versions lock down to 50/50 with traction control in sport mode. They drift awesome in the snow. BMW AFAIK is all rear biased. Not that it matters anyways, it's not like the S4/S5 was any better at drifting. All depends on the programming that manufacturers program into the cars, and Audi has never been aggressive with it even being rear biased.

danno
02-22-2016, 09:55 PM
I believe my rs4 is 60/40 rear. I can kick it out in the snow a little but nothing crazy.

heavyD
02-23-2016, 11:09 AM
Even Subaru AWD systems are going front wheel biased with their newer CVT equipped cars. FWD based is the only way to keep fuel mileage inline with 2WD counterparts.

benyl
02-23-2016, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by rage2
CLA GLA and B uses Haldex. The AMG versions lock down to 50/50 with traction control in sport mode. They drift awesome in the snow. BMW AFAIK is all rear biased. Not that it matters anyways, it's not like the S4/S5 was any better at drifting. All depends on the programming that manufacturers program into the cars, and Audi has never been aggressive with it even being rear biased.

New X1 has gone FWD with a transverse engine out of the Mini. Won't be long before that moves up the line.

jabjab
02-23-2016, 12:22 PM
You can get performance haldex controllers that can make your car 50/50 distribution. HPA motorsports also sells a controller which you can control if you want it fwd biased or more sporty, pretty cool.

bspot
02-23-2016, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by rage2

The B7 S4 and RS4 were both rear biased, except for the auto version of the S4.

The problem with both cars is they didn't have enough power to get crazy on dry roads. In the snow however, you could hold them fully sideways through a drift.

Even on the 50/50 cars.

50/50 was the starting point, they could transfer to about a 30/70 rear during slip if I remember correctly. It's pretty easy to just hammer the throttles in those cars to initiate slip and hold the power to the back with the throttle.

Basically the snow was a preview of how fun they'd be if they made a more powerful variant :rofl:

Haldex cars can get to 50/50 and that's it.

Boooooring.

I know TT RS owners above get upset hearing that though ;)

01RedDX
02-23-2016, 03:12 PM

avishal26
02-23-2016, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by benyl

New X1 has gone FWD with a transverse engine out of the Mini. Won't be long before that moves up the line.

Yeah thats what I remember reading a while back... I"m pretty sure it will move up to the X3 and maybe the new X2 will come with it.

Everyone seems to be doing it in some way or another. Infiniti that strictly did RWD and RWD bias starting 2003, moved back to FWD bias w a CVT with the new JX35 / QX60. I believe the Q30 will be the same.