PDA

View Full Version : how to buy stocks in canada

95EG6P
02-24-2016, 12:31 PM
i looking to buy some stock just wonder how to do it. Any help appropriated. Ive never done it but looking to try it out thanks

Zhariak
02-24-2016, 12:45 PM
I'd reach out to your bank and see if they have a self-brokerage trading account option...

You should be able to log on to your banks trading site and place orders after you get it all setup...

revelations
02-24-2016, 04:39 PM
What stocks? What market analysis have you done?

Why stocks and not an ETF or a mutual fund through a broker (banks will just sell their products).

If self-directed is your goal, Quest Trade has worked out great for me.

Skyline_Addict
02-24-2016, 04:56 PM
yeah.

ETFs are the way to go.

open an account through an online brokerage and you're good to go.

sabad66
02-24-2016, 05:05 PM
for a first timer I would suggest making an appt at your bank then opening a tfsa acct with their self directed investing brokerage. Online brokerages like Questrade are a hassle to open and get money in and out. Later on when you have more experience then you can decide if it makes sense to try Questrade or other online ones

JudasJimmy
02-24-2016, 05:11 PM
Go to your bank and ask to setup a self directed trading account. you can even do it online.

Your banks is the easiest, then you can transfer funds easily online.

Some banks will also have an incentive to open online trading account with them, like free trading for a year etc. Normal cost is usually flat rate $7 - $10 per trade.

I got free trading for a year with BMO. Did some day trading and was able to make a couple grad/month, but my main portfolio is in the red big time.