PDA

View Full Version : Changing jobs in this economy

adam c
02-25-2016, 07:31 PM
I have a buddy who says he greatly dislikes his job.. Says the thought of getting up in the morning and having to endure another just depresses him further and further

I tell him to hold out, maybe things will get better at least he has a seemingly stable position right now when so many others are out of work

What's your guys' thoughts on this?

Maxt
02-25-2016, 07:50 PM
I am in the same place as your buddy, unfortunately I am only qualified to do the one job that pays me at the level I am accustomed to. I guess when I decide mental health means more than money, I'll transition to something like school bus driver or Zamboni operator.

89coupe
02-25-2016, 07:59 PM
Nothing wrong with change, regardless of times. Just make sure he finds the new job before leaving the old one, haha.

Tell your friend to watch this.

8KkKuTCFvzI

The_Rural_Juror
02-25-2016, 08:18 PM
That's a great video.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-25-2016, 08:31 PM
I just changed jobs. Got offered a job from a customer at my previous job and was in the same boat, mental health declining and really didn't like waking up each day. Took about a 35% pay cut to start but so happy to try something else, in a ok position financially and not too worried.

msommers
02-25-2016, 09:01 PM
I was in the same boat and I changed. Unfortunately the career path I have chosen is incredibly long and exhausting. But I've said to myself that I would go through the rest of my life living in regret if I at least didn't try - and it's been what I've been wanting to do this whole time but it's taken me a lot of job and life experience to really narrow it down, and say to myself "I'm making this happen."

I say best of luck and give it your all, it's never too late.

Rat Fink
02-25-2016, 09:37 PM

phubu
02-25-2016, 11:24 PM
Which areas and positions did you all switch from and into?

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-26-2016, 08:03 AM
I'm contemplating a career change if I get laid off and can't find something in the same industry.

Cos
02-26-2016, 08:10 AM

A790
02-26-2016, 10:34 AM
Working a job you hate for the money sucks the life out of you.

I say that he switch careers. No better time than the present.

HiTempguy1
02-26-2016, 10:59 AM
Will his new job/career require education/training?

If he needs to further his education, now is ABSOLUTELY the time to do it. Of course, he needs to recognize if this is simply a case of feeling in a rut.

A lot of people place a lot of emphasis on their job being meaningful. I personally see my job as a means to an end. It allows me to focus on the aspects of my life that I truly do enjoy, and pursue those as I see fit. I also don't hate my job. The one job I did hate, I quit and never looked back.

adam c
02-26-2016, 11:07 AM
He's not really in a position to go back to school with a mortgage, wife and kids in order to pursue something different, the best option he has is to find a different company

Dumbass17
02-26-2016, 11:28 AM
Doesn't this apply to everyone?

dandia89
02-26-2016, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
Will his new job/career require education/training?

If he needs to further his education, now is ABSOLUTELY the time to do it. Of course, he needs to recognize if this is simply a case of feeling in a rut.

A lot of people place a lot of emphasis on their job being meaningful. I personally see my job as a means to an end. It allows me to focus on the aspects of my life that I truly do enjoy, and pursue those as I see fit. I also don't hate my job. The one job I did hate, I quit and never looked back.

i don't think most people can find much meaning in their jobs. especially in O & G when it's involving a commodity that doesn't have that good Samaritan mentality attached to it. i believe you need to find a job that suits your personality/values.

social person? go to a big company with lots of networking
comfortable person? go to a job that does repetitive tasks

Kloubek
02-26-2016, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
If he needs to further his education, now is ABSOLUTELY the time to do it.

Was going to say this if it wasn't already. There will never be a better time to take time off work and get more education than now. Once things pick back up is when you want to be working and making the $$.

As for the original situation, people think money makes them happy. It doesn't; it only entertains. What can make you UNhappy, however, is commuting to spend the entire day at a place you are miserable.

Disoblige
02-26-2016, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by adam c
I have a buddy who says he greatly dislikes his job.. Says the thought of getting up in the morning and having to endure another just depresses him further and further

I tell him to hold out, maybe things will get better at least he has a seemingly stable position right now when so many others are out of work

What's your guys' thoughts on this?
Does he hate the job because of the work he does, or is it more because of the people he works with, management, etc?

Just wanted to see if he's actually looking for a career change or if it's company/staff related.

BavarianBeast
02-26-2016, 02:33 PM
Lots of people in the same place as your buddy.

Secure the new position first and then give your notice.

Xtrema
02-26-2016, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
Lots of people in the same place as your buddy.

Secure the new position first and then give your notice.

/thread

Too bad your buddy isn't single. Responsibility = less flexibility. So make sure he has someplace to land before serving notice.

nzwasp
02-26-2016, 04:13 PM
What does your buddy do?