PDA

View Full Version : Selling an out-of-province vehicle for a family member. Have I missed any steps here?

Minimalist
02-28-2016, 12:34 PM
Just so I don't stuff this up, am I missing anything here? I'm selling a vehicle from another province for an elderly family member. The vehicle is originally from Alberta.

1. Have vehicle signed over to me as a gift.

2. Have vehicle taken in and pass the safety check.

3. Plate and insure vehicle in my name in Alberta, as it is where I live.

4. Sell vehicle to a Nigerian prince on Kijiji.

Should I try and obtain an insurance claim record from the other province? There have been zero claims.

Missing anything here? Normally I am a trade it in type of owner.

Maximoose
02-29-2016, 09:22 AM
So the vehicle will be ultimately sold in the province you are currently in?

Once the vehicle passes safety inspection and is registered you are golden to sell.

toastgremlin
02-29-2016, 07:05 PM
If the car is currently registered in BC or Sask you might be able to get it registered to you in that province, then complete an inspection and bring it into Alberta without having to do an OOP.

It's a fairly recent change: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/car-safety-inspection-rules-eased-for-moves-between-sask-alberta-and-b-c-1.2572035

I have no idea if it works if you buy a car from BC/SK with a recent inspection and then try to register it under your name for the first time in Alberta; it sounds like the current owner in BC/SK has to initiate the process.