PDA

View Full Version : Used Hottubs

gregrego
02-29-2016, 11:27 AM
Looking to buy a hottub this spring, I was going to go new, but there is a company refurbishing tubs. Is this a good way to go? What should
I be looking for?

Company selling is RNR Hottubs. Any experience or horror stories?

I'm a neat freak, so a used tub scares me... Who knows what has gone on in it!

nzwasp
02-29-2016, 11:38 AM
Prob safe to assume whatever you can imagine has happened, however if the company is using an industrial cleaner as part of its refurbishment then its ok right?

RealJimmyJames
02-29-2016, 12:07 PM
Cleaning is the least of your worries. Leaks should be your prime concern. Do they offer any kind of warranty?

sputnik
02-29-2016, 01:05 PM
I would be more worried about a pump or heater failing than germs.

I had a friend had the heater in his fail during a cold snap and had to boil water on his stove to keep the hot tub from being destroyed.

ercchry
02-29-2016, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

I had a friend had the heater in his fail during a cold snap and had to boil water on his stove to keep the hot tub from being destroyed.

I agree on the failing of those parts being a concern... But the boiling of water is fucking ridiculous :rofl:

That's like using a squirt gun on a forest fire... To keep water from freezing you just have to keep it circulating

I ended up going new, but for me a used tub would have to be a significant discount due to so many unknowns

roopi
02-29-2016, 02:14 PM

:rofl:

Would have been easier to drain the tub.

Mitsu3000gt
02-29-2016, 02:16 PM
New tubs are insanely overpriced and none of them are built to the point where they're worth the price (especially the higher end tubs). Doing it all over again I think we would either go used or buy a $3000 Costco tub.

I see from the quotes someone boiled water to keep his tub warm lol, that is ridiculous.

blubs
02-29-2016, 03:43 PM
Was in a similar situation a while ago looked at some used ones and ended up rolling the dice and buying a new "broken" one at an auction. Turned out it just needed new wiring to the panel. About 150 bucks to get someone to come in and do it it was good to go.

Looking back l don't think i'd buy a used tub. Just so many small things can go wrong, and all it takes is leak or a pump failure and all of a sudden the costs rack up.

If you do end up buying used be weary of how much the people have taken care of them... looked at one used out on an acreage that was on well water and it had all the sealant falling out of the jets. Apparently if you don't have enough calcium in your water it leaches it out of the tub.

As for boiling water, when we bought our tub a friend highly recommended we buy one of these just in case. Never had a heater fail yet, but cheap insurance if I ever needed it.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-250w-floating-tank-de-icer/A-p8017184e;jsessionid=dlMM6E7e2qad+mfibqIrckDJ.pal-prod-com1

sputnik
02-29-2016, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by roopi

:rofl:

Would have been easier to drain the tub.

It was -35C at the time.

Draining the tub would have been a huge mess and would have left water potentially in the lines/jets/pump/heater.

never
02-29-2016, 05:35 PM

I had a heater fail recently...$50 for the element and it took me 1/2 an hour to swap. That sounds easier than boiling a bunch of water.

gregrego
02-29-2016, 05:49 PM
Good advice guys, I won't be buying from kijiji, too many variables. I'll look into the warranty with these guys.

Maybe buy a backup heater and pump just in case?

It would be maybe a 3-4 people max in the tub at any time, 99% of the time it would be just me and the wife. So a 4 person tub is enough? Is there a big difference in the running cost from a 4 to a 6?

This Costco tub sounds interesting, details?

gwill
02-29-2016, 06:08 PM
Running cost will vary on tubs a lot. Some go big with heavy horse power in the pumps when they aren't needed... Some are also insulated well when others aren't.

For example I bought a dynasty tub last July that's built for our winters but I found out afterwards it's only r14 insulation. I haven't had any issues and I'm happy with my tub but my hot tub will certainly cost more then a beach comber that's r42. I laughed when I saw a local hot tub company claim all hot tubs are made the same when it comes to our winters.

ercchry
02-29-2016, 06:33 PM
I think my tub was advertised as a 7 person tub... Couldn't imagine much smaller for 4 people unless you guys are really close to each other haha... I have 4 corner seats that are jetted and it's perfect... Got a coyote spa on sale from paradise bay, it's the econo line of Arctic spa and the sales guy there is a great guy... With the most incredible memory I've ever seen! Steered us away from the "warm climate " built tubs too. Parents have had an Arctic spa for a decade now with no real issues to speak of, mine is over a year now and still good

I honestly haven't even noticed an increase in utilities since getting it

Gart
02-29-2016, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by gregrego

Maybe buy a backup heater and pump just in case?

Probably not necessary, unless you know they're due to fail. There are (usually) block valves so you can remove the components for repair without draining the water.

When the pump went on ours. It was a 1 hour rebuild (windings, pump impellor, and capacitor). The shop we went to also had a spare pump they could have sold as a replacement if I needed it ASAP (in case 1 hour wasn't quick enough haha).

If your heater goes, you (probably) would have a lot of residual heat in the water before your bulk temperature goes down. Ours takes a couple days in winter before I'd be worried about it. Key would be to ensure you are circulating the jet lines constantly, if possible, to prevent them from freezing while you get a replacement ordered.

If you do end up draining it, blow out the lines! They suck to fix.

speedog
02-29-2016, 07:15 PM

It was -35C at the time.

Draining the tub would have been a huge mess and would have left water potentially in the lines/jets/pump/heater.

That must have been before 2000 because it hasn't been down to -35C in Calgary for at least the last 16 years.

roopi
02-29-2016, 07:39 PM

It was -35C at the time.

I still find it ridiculous. How much water does one have to boil to keep a tub above freezing when it is -35.

I've drained mine in the winter. Doesn't matter the temperature it takes 2 minutes to hook up the hose to drain and 10 minutes with a shop vac to clear the lines.

I'd go with a new tub just so you know the history/condition.

never
02-29-2016, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by speedog

That must have been before 2000 because it hasn't been down to -35C in Calgary for at least the last 16 years.

But his location is YWG so it's plausible in recent times.

ercchry
02-29-2016, 08:44 PM
Maybe no -35 as a day time high.... But I sure as shit have worked outdoors in the last 16 years in weather colder

gregrego
02-29-2016, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, going to do some shopping this weekend!

speedog
02-29-2016, 10:55 PM
If, and that's a big if, the tub has been maintained/serviced properly over the years then it should be okay. But most tubs are not maintained/serviced properly and usually because the owners lose interest.

Our tub is going on 23 years old and is still working great. Over that span of time we have replaced the motor once, two heating elements, the pump once and the main control board once and over 22+ years this wouldn't be considered excessive wear and tear.

Get a good brand name and one with very good insulation - ours is a Hotspring Hotspot purchased from Rocky Mountain Pools and Spas. Can't complain about our tub or Rocky Mountain. If the used tubs you're looking at are a good brand name, are built well with good insulation and they come with a warranty then they might warrant a look.

sputnik
03-01-2016, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by never
I had a heater fail recently...$50 for the element and it took me 1/2 an hour to swap. That sounds easier than boiling a bunch of water.

He didn't have the option to run out and pick up a heater at 9pm on a Saturday night.