PDA

View Full Version : Another one of those annoying What Car to buy threads

Strider
03-04-2016, 09:36 AM
Got the itch ever since the recession car deals (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/393974/recession-car-deals/) and what is your next car (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/396710/what-is-your-next-car/) threads.

Budget is $40k for something "normal" (S4, 335, etc) or $60k(+/-) for something special (M, AMG, RS, etc).

Depreciation is a pretty big consideration. We put ~12,000km/year on our daily driver and roughly 500km on our 2nd car. The new car would replace the 2nd car - so ideally it'd be something that would hold value reasonably after a few years with very little use (like an s2k or 1 series M).

Looking for wildcard suggestions as well as advice on cars to avoid due to issues, maintenance costs (even model year specific).

Cars I've looked at / am considering:
B8.5 S4/S5/RS5 (felt lied to when I found out the S4/S5 sounds are fake)
E90/E92 M3
W204 C63 (2012+)
W212 E63 (kulu has one for $60k right now)
F30 335 (kinda boring)
E46 M3 (would fit the low depreciation criteria, but it's hard to find an unmolested, low mileage example - also not sure if it meets the fun factor)
E60 M5 (love the sound, but reliability/maintenance is scary)
370Z stripper model ($30k brand new)

Wildcards that might fit the bill, but I haven't looked into at all:
996 turbo
S2000
SLK55
F87 M2 (was interested at $61k, but options(dct), freight, pdi, taxes add up fast - got a quote for $72k, would be cross shopping a lightly used Cayman or M4 in that range)

rage2
03-04-2016, 09:47 AM
500km or 5000km? Because if you're only driving 500km a year on the 2nd car, why even bother?

dirtsniffer
03-04-2016, 09:51 AM
What about a Cayman S?

Strider
03-04-2016, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by rage2
500km or 5000km? Because if you're only driving 500km a year on the 2nd car, why even bother?

500km. It gets neglected because it's a boring old Mazda. I'll take the SUV even if I'm going out by myself without wife and kid because it's more fun.

Skyline_Addict
03-04-2016, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Strider
Got the itch ever since the recession car deals (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/393974/recession-car-deals/) and what is your next car (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/396710/what-is-your-next-car/) threads.

Budget is $40k for something "normal" (S4, 335, etc) or $60k(+/-) for something special (M, AMG, RS, etc).

Depreciation is a pretty big consideration. We put ~12,000km/year on our daily driver and roughly 500km on our 2nd car. The new car would replace the 2nd car - so ideally it'd be something that would hold value reasonably after a few years with very little use (like an s2k or 1 series M).

Looking for wildcard suggestions as well as advice on cars to avoid due to issues, maintenance costs (even model year specific).

Cars I've looked at / am considering:
B8.5 S4/S5/RS5 (felt lied to when I found out the S4/S5 sounds are fake)
E90/E92 M3
W204 C63 (2012+)
W212 E63 (kulu has one for $60k right now)
F30 335 (kinda boring)
E46 M3 (would fit the low depreciation criteria, but it's hard to find an unmolested, low mileage example - also not sure if it meets the fun factor)
E60 M5 (love the sound, but reliability/maintenance is scary)
370Z stripper model ($30k brand new)

Wildcards that might fit the bill, but I haven't looked into at all:
996 turbo
S2000
SLK55
F87 M2 (was interested at $61k, but options(dct), freight, pdi, taxes add up fast - got a quote for $72k, would be cross shopping a lightly used Cayman or M4 in that range)

s2000s are holding their value, but of course you are paying a huge premium for the car right now. and who knows, their ability to hold value may fizzle out when the bubble does too.

if you wanted a Porsche Carrera, I would try to get into a C2S or C4S 997.1 at your price range, over the 996. Cayman S would be a good choice too. you're almost in Nissan GT-R territory for your budget too.

oh and... not sure if you're that type of guy but the R34 Nissan Skyline GT-R would be a suitable car for something that is barely driven and you want it to hold its value.

gpomp
03-04-2016, 10:11 AM
996 Turbo or 997.1

I don't see either depreciating much, if any. You can find a decent 997.1 for 50-55k

shakalaka
03-04-2016, 10:24 AM
If E92 M3 is an option, I will suggest mine. PM me for details if interested. I am still up in the air about getting rid of it, but I might be swayed by a good offer and home. It's a 1 of 1 in North America, Brass Metallic Paintworks.

BavarianBeast
03-04-2016, 10:25 AM
My fully built 2008 supercharged E92 M3 with 54,000km is for sale. Tons of upgrades, all parts & maintenance receipts have been kept and documented (totaling over $25k), no accidents, absolutely mint! PM me if you have any interest.

dirtsniffer
03-04-2016, 10:51 AM
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Cobra/CALGARY/Alberta/19_9213224_/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=7_15_31

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Mustang/CALGARY/Alberta/19_7881731_/?ursrc=hlp&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=10_15_31

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Dodge/Challenger/GOLDEN/British+Columbia/24_13575991_/?ursrc=hlp&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=14_15_31

:thumbsup:

Sugarphreak
03-04-2016, 11:04 AM

schocker
03-04-2016, 11:36 AM
I would say veloster turbo as my number 1 suggestion.

In that price range for me at least though I would be looking at an RS5 or M3/4. If it is only 500 km per year though, I find it kind of a weird idea though.

HiTempguy1
03-04-2016, 11:53 AM
If depreciation is a pretty big consideration, than the 370z fits the bill. Relative to its purchase price, I bet you would "lose" the least amount of money on it overall over the years (in raw $$ amount, not necessarily %).

Rwd sports cars can depreciate quickly, but only to a certain point. There is a base floor for pricing when it comes to high hp, rwd manual trans cars, and once hit the value never really goes below there.

Hell, it looks like 1990's BMW's (like 320i and 325i models) are starting to go UP in value now :nut:

Strider
03-04-2016, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
What about a Cayman S?
Will add it to the list, although I'm not likely to track or auto-x so might be looking for something with a bit more straight line speed.

Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
Nissan GT-R
I'd probably be stretching to get a miled out '09 for an R35 and kind of worried about the tranny in those early models. Not into JDM.

Originally posted by gpomp
996 Turbo or 997.1 I don't see either depreciating much, if any. You can find a decent 997.1 for 50-55k
This one (http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2008-porsche-911-carrera-4s-coupe-2-door/1144432093?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true) seems to be priced pretty aggressively. Higher km, but if I only add 2k km per year, might not be a bad thing. Assuming nothing is wrong with it. Thoughts?

Originally posted by shakalaka
If E92 M3 is an option, I will suggest mine.
I've seen yours on Autotrader. Great looking ride; more than I'd be looking to spend on that vintage of m3 though.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
If you are looking for a truly laugh out loud fun car… Fiesta ST
I left cars like the FiST and Golf R off my list - in my 30s and feel like I'm too old for rice rockets.

Originally posted by schocker
I would say veloster turbo as my number 1 suggestion.
If it is only 500 km per year though, I find it kind of a weird idea though.
Straight to the top of my list!
Didn't mean for anyone to get hung up on the 500km bit - would split mileage more evenly between the 2 cars if it was something more interesting than a Mazda3. Probably would be closer to 10k on the SUV (family car) and 3k on the fun car - still low, hence looking for something unique/rare/niche that will hold value.

Skyline_Addict
03-04-2016, 12:04 PM

This one (http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2008-porsche-911-carrera-4s-coupe-2-door/1144432093?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true) seems to be priced pretty aggressively. Higher km, but if I only add 2k km per year, might not be a bad thing. Assuming nothing is wrong with it. Thoughts?

I've spoken to the guy when I was cross shopping cars. He seems pretty straight up. That car has been for sale for like 6 months now.... I'm sure he would accept a reasonable offer below what he's asking. If there's nothing wrong with the car, it's a good deal really....even though the 997.2 C4S is way superior you are looking to add on at least $20k for one over this.

Sugarphreak
03-04-2016, 01:25 PM

A2VR6
03-04-2016, 01:37 PM

Whatever you do get an inspection done. Alot of people shy away from 996 C2/C4's and 997.1 C2's/C4's due to the fear of IMS failures (not an issue on the turbo/GT3s) but at the price point a 997.1 has great value.

Mitsu3000gt
03-04-2016, 02:23 PM
For something you use so seldom, and by the sounds of it fun-factor is a high priority, I'd get a Porsche 996 TT or 997 C2S/C4S. The nice thing about Porsche too is that they are some of the most "daily driveable" semi-exotic sports cars. You can use the AWD models easily year round too. I think the enjoyment factor per dollar would be hard to beat.

dubhead
03-05-2016, 04:54 AM
If you are looking for a truly laugh out loud fun car… Fiesta ST

It might not have the horsepower or RWD crazyness of some of the cars you listed, but it is probably more fun to drive and twice as practical. Strongly recommend test driving it for yourself.

Oddly enough it will drift just like a RWD when pushed around corners despite being FWD (still trying to get my head around that myself).

You can get a low mileage used one for around 20K, or a brand new one for 25K. Can’t beat the bang for buck IMO.

How are the seats comfort wise on the ST, seems like lots of complaints about comfort. How is it in the winter?

killramos
03-05-2016, 08:52 AM
Why don't you consider leading something? If you are never going to use it and won't rack up the km at least you know what you are in for.

I am mostly shocked that you have 2 people in your household and a baby on the way and you only put 500km on the second car.

Personally I never use my wife's car and she never uses mine.

With a baby on the way maybe you will be making more use of the second car than you think.

As for a wildcard that is definitely special but not particularly fast. G63 AMG. Almost no depreciation is a plus. I have always wanted a garage queen lotus Elise. Also minimal depreciation on used.

Boosted_TL
03-05-2016, 09:36 AM
C6 Z06
USDM 6MT MK4 Supra
Jaguar XKR
Viper
Lotus Espirit V8TT (reliability issues)

Even though they are a domestic product, the C6Z is great bang for buck.

bjstare
03-05-2016, 09:46 AM
+1 for Jag XKR and G63, those are both great wildcards. The Jag will depreciate though.

Sugarphreak
03-05-2016, 10:06 AM

Agent_Oorange
03-05-2016, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by killramos

As for a wildcard that is definitely special but not particularly fast. G63 AMG.

Maybe I missed it, but a G63 is way more than anything else he suggested in his original wildcard list. They are awesome though :D

shakalaka
03-05-2016, 12:00 PM
G63's are one of my favorite but almost at 200K, substantially more than what he's looking to spend.

killramos
03-05-2016, 04:55 PM
He is looking for used. Making G's an option.

J.M.
03-05-2016, 05:35 PM
^ Good luck finding a used G63 for $60k lol

tehwegz
03-05-2016, 06:05 PM
G63 rides like a bag of dircks and a turning circle worse than the current big 3 half tons. Steering ratio is wack. Felt like one full circle to lock. Actually reminds me of my Focus ST which frustrating in tight parking lots. But in a big G wtf...

I'd rather get a JK8 Jeep than that rolling pile of pretentiousness.

Or, S class all the way. S63/S550 or CLS63/550.

Strider
03-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming. Been pretty fixated on 911s since Friday, and have read up on 997s - sounds like the IMS is pretty much resolved for 2006+ cars... It's a pretty strong contender right now.

Originally posted by killramos
Why don't you consider leading something? If you are never going to use it and won't rack up the km at least you know what you are in for.

I am mostly shocked that you have 2 people in your household and a baby on the way and you only put 500km on the second car.

Personally I never use my wife's car and she never uses mine.

With a baby on the way maybe you will be making more use of the second car than you think.

As for a wildcard that is definitely special but not particularly fast. G63 AMG. Almost no depreciation is a plus. I have always wanted a garage queen lotus Elise. Also minimal depreciation on used. I'm hoping to find something used that's already much further down the depreciation curve since it'll seldom get used. Leasing would mean a new car, which would end up probably $1k/month for a brand new version of any of the cars on my list - a terrible value for me to drive a few thousand K per year.

Wife and I share both cars. Baby is already here... before she was on mat leave, we carpooled to work downtown and now that she's off I take car2go, transit, or bike - I can't stomach a $500/month bill for parking when I know that could go towards a wicked weekend car.

Any G63 I've seen has been well out of my price range... and while I'll admit they are awesome, that would be something to replace the current SUV as opposed to complimenting it. Looking for a sports car/sedan.

Originally posted by Boosted_TL
C6 Z06
Jaguar XKR
I could totally get behind the idea of a C6 Z06... only thing is the C7 is leaps and bounds ahead in terms of build quality which would leave me wanting. Will look into them anyways though.

I don't know anything about the Jag, but thinking a newer one is beyond my price range (and will depreciate heavily) and an older one will be from the terrible reliability era?

With so few KM's, maybe get something that will hold value or even go up in value over time. NSX, or maybe a classic Porsche?Would love a classic Porsche but the air-cooled Porsches have definitely skyrocketed out of my price range with the current bubble - also worried about said bubble bursting.

Will look into NSXs

v2kai
03-05-2016, 10:02 PM
if it checks out there's a decent price on a silver 2002 s2000 on kijiji

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2002-honda-s2000-convertible/1145088531?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

ShermanEF9
03-06-2016, 07:27 PM
are people really not capable of independent thought?

Skyline_Addict
03-07-2016, 10:21 AM
The NA1 NSXs are very dated looking and you won't get a lot of bang for buck from a pure performance perspective. NA2 is a bit more updated with a 3.2L engine and 6-speed and more modern styling queues, but you will pay a bit more for those.

But yes, if you want an iconic car that will hold its value remarkably well and has the same maintenance needs of a Honda Accord, NSX is a great car.

mr2mike
03-08-2016, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by ShermanEF9
are people really not capable of independent thought?
Nope tell me what I should get to be cool and I'll get it.

My opinion:
New baby, recession/ppl losing jobs... save your money!
Buying a weekend driver is a waste especially since you're saying 'least amount of depreciation'.

Otherwise, who ever suggested the Veloster... best answer. Do it!

Strider
03-08-2016, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by v2kai
if it checks out there's a decent price on a silver 2002 s2000 on kijiji http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2002-honda-s2000-convertible/1145088531?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true Stellar price for a relatively low km, unmolested S2k. Can't get a hold of the seller though - thinking it's a fake ad.

Originally posted by ShermanEF9
are people really not capable of independent thought? Coming from the guy driving an F150 and Civic - how original. :zzz:

Originally posted by mr2mike
Nope tell me what I should get to be cool and I'll get it.
My opinion:
New baby, recession/ppl losing jobs... save your money!
Buying a weekend driver is a waste especially since you're saying 'least amount of depreciation'.
Awww... But I wanna be cool. :(
Ppl losing jobs = best time to buy their toys
It'll never make any sense to buy anything but a beige Corolla to avoid "waste". Hard to put a value on fun/enjoyment though.

Looking at a 996 turbo with 60k km - that car got about the same amount of use through its lifetime that I would put on it (4k/year avg). Sad that the going rate for a clean low km 996TT is more than Rage2 sold his for 4 years ago... Lowest depreciation = appreciation. Should have done this years ago :cry: