PDA

View Full Version : Rental car damage

alanaround
03-09-2016, 04:12 PM
Has anyone ever had any dealings with rental car companies regarding damage they didn't cause?

Highlights:
rented a car over Christmas, it was late at night, kept waiting over 2 hours as they didn't have any vehicles in my class, eventually upgraded twice and the 3rd vehicle they offered they actually had parked at the airport (the others were 'on there way' etc)

-no documentation saying to mark on any damage, no one was there when I went to the parking stall. Drove from airport to rental property

-next morning, come out see damage (car was on driveway, couldn't have been done in driveway)
-take photo with phone to show rental company if they ask
-return vehicle, guy walks round, does the usual checks, gives receipt.
-2 months later, get call from US collections agency asking how i'd like to settle the damage

explained situation, sent them photo, now waiting.

I guess, i'm on the hook.. the thing is, I have my own coverage through my credit card and personal car insurance (so if I did cause it, no biggy) however, because I didn't cause the damage, there is no accident report, paperwork and obviously claiming it on my card is fraud.. bill is around $1000 US.

:banghead:

dirtsniffer
03-09-2016, 04:17 PM
they'll need to prove it was done by you by a form that was filled out when you took it saying there was no damage.

alanaround
03-09-2016, 04:24 PM
Yeah my agreement paperwork has the items I signed which is the addition of my Wife as a driver, me declining their LDW coverage and then just agreeing to the charges (fuel surchange and so on) nothing with the usual picture of car, mark on stuff and sign.

phreezee
03-09-2016, 04:30 PM
Which company was this?

You are off the hook if they didn't identify it upon return IMO. Damage could have happened anytime after you handed over the keys. :dunno:

IggyB
03-09-2016, 04:35 PM
Had that happen with a bodyshop.

Wife dropped off truck for hail damage work and was given key to shop loaner. No paperwork at all.

When I got home I found a headlight lens from the loaner in our parking stall. Put it in the trunk.

Week later I dropped off the loaner, told the shop of the lens falling off and drove off.

Got a call from the shop within an hour telling me there's damage to the vehicle and I had to pay 500 bucks. That it happened when loaner was in my possession and they would get the cops involved if I didn't pay.

My sister, 2nd year Law at UoC at the time (long time ago), quickly convinced them that without any paperwork they had no case at all.

They probably put the lens back on with bubble gum and tried to rip off the next driver of the loaner.

alanaround
03-09-2016, 05:11 PM
Yeah I find it odd that it's been 2 months. I honestly expected the guy to bring it up when I returned it, but he looked right at it as he walked around and then just printed off my CC receipt from the machine. It was with Budget.