PDA

View Full Version : Broke my only key :(

MR2-3SGTE
03-11-2016, 08:38 PM
Broke the only key to my 2003 cbr600rr in the gas cap. It was a cheap eBay key that was given by the PO. I was far from home and didn't want to wait for a tow, so I pulled the broken piece out and stuck it in the ignition so I could ride the bike home.
The end piece is stuck in the ignition now, but I can start the bike by sticking the other half into it.
I can't open the gas cap, or the trunk now.
Called Rocky Mountain Honda and they said it'll take 15 days to order a bank key which I then need to take to a locksmith to get cut.

Is there anyone in Calgary that stocks these keys or is able to pull the broken piece out of the ignition?

theken
03-11-2016, 08:54 PM
would tweezers be able to pull it out?

HomespunLobster
03-11-2016, 10:30 PM
If you can get the key out, or the igntion out, bring it to a locksmith. They can cut whatever key you need, and probably get your key out if you can just bring the whole cylinder to them

bignerd
03-11-2016, 10:37 PM
call Calgary lock and safe and see if they can pull it out of the tumbler

revelations
03-12-2016, 01:48 AM
Youll need new keys anyway .... not sure if a stub can be used as a master anymore?

Personally, bikes are stolen so easily without keys that after mine was attempted (but did not get far due to disc lock) I left the broken ignition in place and just used a leatherman.

oster
03-12-2016, 01:04 PM
Order the key from Honda, I doubt a locksmith would have a matching key.

MR2-3SGTE
03-12-2016, 05:23 PM
Took it to Calgary Lock and Safe. They spent hours trying to get the piece out. Great place, great service. Best of all, I didn't pay a single penny thanks to AMA. They had the key in stock as well, got 2 copies made.
It's true that bikes are stolen so easily that the ignition barely provides any security. I probably would've tried breaking the ignition if all else had failed.

bignerd
03-12-2016, 11:22 PM
good to hear they helped me with keys before