PDA

View Full Version : motorized window shades

lilmira
03-13-2016, 10:20 AM
I'm looking for motorized window shades for my south facing living room. They will be raised and lowered quite often so longevity is important. It's too much work to get them hardwired so they will probably be battery operated. I'm thinking about the honeycomb to filter the light, not trying to black out the room.

Any recommendations or brands to avoid?

rage2
03-13-2016, 10:41 AM
I just installed a single one from serenashades.com last week as a test. Ordering for 13 more Windows tomorrow. You can build all the window configs online but you need to call them for a Canadian quote. Ask for the 20% discount. Works out to be cheaper than the US online price in CDN$.

There are 3 Serena dealers in town and I was ignored all 3. Guess they rather sell the more expensive setups. One place even sat down with me as I explained everything, wanted to charge me to measure the Windows (I said I would pay) still no callback. Forced to DIY this project.

I have a video of the one shade in action at the end of this thread: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/396913/diy-home-automation-with-apple-homekit/

FishPoo
03-13-2016, 10:44 AM
I've been using two somfy motors on two roller shades + their my link addin which allows me to schedule or open/close via phone or tablet.

Each motor runs off 8 lithium ion aa batteries, it's been about two years and I haven't had to replace them yet.

I've been pretty happy with them and would definitely recommend them.

lilmira
03-13-2016, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the info guys. They will be for my second row of windows which are like 16' up so I'd rather pay to get them installed than me falling on my ass. All the other windows I can DIY when I replace them in the future. One window is 5'x8' and the other two are 2 1/2'x5'. I'm guessing ~2000. I already have a contact through a friend, I'll ask him about the brands he carries.

rage2
03-13-2016, 11:29 AM
Ya some of my windows need scaffolding to install. Our basement contractor is installing those for me haha. So not fully DIY.

macman64
03-13-2016, 12:16 PM
A friend of mine does this but all his blinds are built here in Alberta. They make some solid products and have been very happy with what they have done for us. Just depends if you want custom and the support that comes with that. Prices are still very competitive. http://www.prakinteriors.com/

G
03-13-2016, 12:23 PM
I have 4 of the Lutron ones. They are hard wired for low voltage because I did not want to get up there to change batteries every few years. If I recall, to do those 4 windows, hard wiring, install and program it was $1500 per window. Mostly because of he size of those windows.

9TTNSd2z6tg

Rarasaurus
03-13-2016, 01:02 PM
As FishPoo said Somfy has great motors and can be used on light filtering roller blinds. They also offer solar panels to charge the batteries and give them a longer life. This is probably your best bet for the high windows to lower the amount you have to change batteries.

This setup would be around $1000 a window, installed, depending on size, material and such.

lilmira
03-13-2016, 02:00 PM
Thanks folks!
Lutron Serena and Somfy, how's Hunter Douglas?

I was thinking about the solar rechargeable option but it looks like they still have to be replaced at one point, ~ few years longer than battery? Another thing, can I have the battery pack on the sill instead of having it at the head of the window? That way I don't have to go up 16" to change the battery.

Rarasaurus
03-13-2016, 02:06 PM
Yes solar is suppose to get you about 5 years. Always depends though. There are battery pack cord extenders so you can have the pack sitting on the sill. Downside is that you see the wire coming down from the blind.

rage2
03-13-2016, 03:12 PM
Here's my Lutron Serena Shades quote.

38x70 - $542.46
93x58 - $770.24
75x78 - $718.50

All cdn$.

The_Penguin
03-13-2016, 03:52 PM
We're in the process of considering some new blinds as well, for our huge west-facing windows. Would be nice to tie them in to my automation system, and close 'em when the sun comes around.
Saw this in my news feed a week or so ago, looks interesting:

http://get.axis.life/abetterway/

JRSC00LUDE
03-13-2016, 07:45 PM
Maxxmar does motorized as well, you can do dual motors with a regular shade and a full blackout too. Lutron is great but more money.

rage2
03-13-2016, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by The_Penguin
We're in the process of considering some new blinds as well, for our huge west-facing windows. Would be nice to tie them in to my automation system, and close 'em when the sun comes around.
Saw this in my news feed a week or so ago, looks interesting:

http://get.axis.life/abetterway/
Those would make sense if you already have manual shades. If you're going new, the difference between motorized and manual (with Lutron Serena) is about $100.

The_Penguin
03-13-2016, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Those would make sense if you already have manual shades. If you're going new, the difference between motorized and manual (with Lutron Serena) is about $100.

Wow, the difference between manual and motorized with Hunter Douglass blinds is considerably more. Still waiting on quotes.

D'z Nutz
03-13-2016, 10:19 PM
I've wanted a motorized window shade so bad because my bedroom faces east and I'm forced to wake up at like 6am in the summers cause of the sunlight and my room heating up from it. Unfortunately the only window in my room is 108x90" and it's gonna end up costing $$$.

imranm
03-16-2016, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by G
I have 4 of the Lutron ones. They are hard wired for low voltage because I did not want to get up there to change batteries every few years. If I recall, to do those 4 windows, hard wiring, install and program it was $1500 per window. Mostly because of he size of those windows.

9TTNSd2z6tg

This is a sweet setup! I am envious every time I look out my backyard and see those things open and close on their own!

Mitsu3000gt
03-17-2016, 11:49 AM
Can you get these with channels along the edges of the frame that the blind runs through for 100% blackout, or are you stuck with light gaps on either side?

rage2
03-17-2016, 12:38 PM
Not with the ones I got. Not sure which ones G has. If it's the Sivoia QS tension shades, it does that but is more expensive and doesn't have homekit compatibility (if you care about it).

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/products/Pages/shadingsystems/sivoiaqs/windowtreatments/tensionedshades/tensionedshades.aspx

G
03-17-2016, 01:43 PM
There isn't light gaps in mine, the white you see is just the window casing. It really depends on how you measure your windows but those 4 windows where never meant to blacked out we did it to reduce some of the heat from the sun.

I initially wanted to do one big shade that spanned the two windows so eliminate the gap but couldn't because it would be too heavy and eventually sag.

rage2
03-17-2016, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by G
There isn't light gaps in mine, the white you see is just the window casing.
It's still light leakage, which is bad if you want 100% blackout. It becomes a halo of light if you use the blackout fabric.

What he's asking about is this:

C0npah2qK98

The shades would ride inside the side channels then against the bottom channel so there is 0 light coming in once fully closed.

Mitsu3000gt
03-17-2016, 02:35 PM
Thanks - that's the only complaint with the (non motorized) shade I have now. The gaps are really small but if the sun is low it's still pretty annoying. I believe it was an option for me at the time as well for the manual blind but I cheaped out :rofl:

G
03-17-2016, 03:24 PM
Oh understood. I have black outs on all my other windows. It makes the rooms pitch black.

lilmira
03-30-2016, 08:16 AM
Ordered my shades with the Somfy motors through Cornel. I'll update when they are installed. May get some more for the bedroom if they work well.

rage2
03-30-2016, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
Ordered my shades with the Somfy motors through Cornel. I'll update when they are installed. May get some more for the bedroom if they work well.
Ballpark on how much it cost?

I ordered mine from Lutron, and after a bunch of back and forth negotiating I got the order down to $8k shipped and tax in for 14 windows.

lilmira
03-30-2016, 09:55 AM
1 5'x8', 2 2 1/2' x 6' with installation, ~2700 cash all in.

rage2
04-29-2016, 03:38 PM
I guess I'll update this thread as well.

UsT0IQeJdsQ

Out of 14 windows, I was able to DIY install on 7 windows that I could reach without climbing, each one took about 15 mins to install, 10 mins to remove old venetian blinds. For the remaining 7 windows I had someone come in to do the install using some sketchy ladder on step ladder skills for $200.

The cost of 14 shades with various window sizes came out to $8589.76 shipped taxed "all in". Would've been about $200 cheaper if I didn't order a single shade to test before ordering the remaining 13. Then $20 to dump out all the garbage at the dump.

It's crazy how well these shades work, they're not blackout, but enough to block out 80% of the sun. My AC utilization on Wednesday looked like this even though it was only 11C outside. The sun just kills my living room:

http://i.imgur.com/C5NJDj9.jpg

Thursday morning shades were installed and lowered. Same amount of sun and outside temperatures, AC didn't kick in once:

http://i.imgur.com/heImMv5.jpg

Here's a snapshot of how much my house needs AC because of the sun:

http://i.imgur.com/TsbP5Rn.jpg

Will update in a month once we see how these shades affect AC usage. So glad I got these, only took 15 years of living in this house to get it done haha.

lilmira
04-29-2016, 04:38 PM
Got my somfy shades installed too for my upper living room windows yesterday. Liking it so far. It's recession time so I can't afford to do the whole house but I'll likely put motorized blinds in my bedroom as well. Tempted to switch to Lutron Serena for voice control unless there is some way to make it work with Somfy. It will come in handy when I'm hibernating.

rage2
04-29-2016, 04:43 PM
Somfy is zwave so it can connect to smarthings or wink and you can have voice control through Amazon echo. Only reason to switch to Lutron would be for Apple HomeKit and Siri support.

ercchry
04-29-2016, 04:44 PM
For those not looking for total blackout, have you checked out tinting them? Seems to offer the desired affect, but no wiring or batteries

rage2
04-29-2016, 04:45 PM
We looked at tinting but we want the sun and greenhouse effect for winter.

Buster
10-19-2016, 08:42 PM
Do any of these motorized ones mimic the look/function of the Hunter Douglas Silhouette or Pirouette?

I don't really need a bunch of automation (although wall mounted remote would be good).

speedog
10-19-2016, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I guess I'll update this thread as well.

UsT0IQeJdsQ

Out of 14 windows, I was able to DIY install on 7 windows that I could reach without climbing, each one took about 15 mins to install, 10 mins to remove old venetian blinds. For the remaining 7 windows I had someone come in to do the install using some sketchy ladder on step ladder skills for $200.

The cost of 14 shades with various window sizes came out to $8589.76 shipped taxed "all in". Would've been about $200 cheaper if I didn't order a single shade to test before ordering the remaining 13. Then $20 to dump out all the garbage at the dump.

It's crazy how well these shades work, they're not blackout, but enough to block out 80% of the sun. My AC utilization on Wednesday looked like this even though it was only 11C outside. The sun just kills my living room:

http://i.imgur.com/C5NJDj9.jpg

Thursday morning shades were installed and lowered. Same amount of sun and outside temperatures, AC didn't kick in once:

http://i.imgur.com/heImMv5.jpg

Here's a snapshot of how much my house needs AC because of the sun:

http://i.imgur.com/TsbP5Rn.jpg

Will update in a month once we see how these shades affect AC usage. So glad I got these, only took 15 years of living in this house to get it done haha.

Man, you are penultimate geek in some ways. It would be interesting to see how long your investment in these motorized blinds takes to be offset by your air conditioning and/or heating cost savings.

jeffh
10-19-2016, 10:22 PM
I second what speedog said. I like the graphs.

Buster
10-19-2016, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by speedog

penultimate

http://www.prdaily.com/Uploads/Public/i-do-not-think-it-means-what-you-think-it-means.jpg

speedog
10-19-2016, 11:41 PM
TIL

bjstare
10-20-2016, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Buster

http://www.prdaily.com/Uploads/Public/i-do-not-think-it-means-what-you-think-it-means.jpg

:rofl: That's what I was thinking too

ExtraSlow
10-20-2016, 09:26 AM
Would love to know Speedogs opinion on who the ultimate geek is now. I feel like he's teasing me with that wording.

roopi
10-20-2016, 09:43 AM
I hope it wasn't just me who had to look up what penultimate means. :(

The_Penguin
10-20-2016, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by The_Penguin

Update, we got Hunter Douglas Silhouette blinds. The 2 big ones on the west-facing windows are PowerView.
Added the Powerview Hub and managed to tie them in to our ISY 994 automation controller, and can actually tell our Amazon Echo to control them. Pretty cool!

That said, they're a bit flakey. They often miss the first attempt to control them, even from the remote. My control programs on the ISY send commands twice to compensate for this.