PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel hub DT-Swiss vs others

ZeroGravity
03-14-2016, 01:14 PM
just started looking into various components and what not...

Does a wheel with DT-Swiss free hub and DT-Swiss spokes vs same rim with other hub demand almost double the price? Specifically comparing the Giant SLR 1 rear wheel (~600) vs the Giant SLR 0 rear wheel (~1200).

Are DT-Swiss hubs a lot better than hubs that come on wheels like Fulcrum?

bigboom
03-14-2016, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by ZeroGravity
just started looking into various components and what not...

Does a wheel with DT-Swiss free hub and DT-Swiss spokes vs same rim with other hub demand almost double the price? Specifically comparing the Giant SLR 1 rear wheel (~600) vs the Giant SLR 0 rear wheel (~1200).

Are DT-Swiss hubs a lot better than hubs that come on wheels like Fulcrum?

Depends what level of Fulcrum hub. Fulcrum hubs are awesome because they are fully rebuildable. DT Swiss are also excellent hubs, if Giant is pricing them that way then you are most likely getting some shitty hub vs a DT, if you were to purchase a shitty no name hub vs a DT 240 youd probably be at a $400ish difference in price.

lilmira
03-14-2016, 03:19 PM
From what I can tell, it's just the weight and it's only 100g difference on the whole set. You can get the Dura Ace C24 for 1000 bucks a set online. Regular price carries quite a bit of mark up too so you can probably negotiate. Go to the shop and do a side by side spin test lol.

I have the SLR 0 Aero and the hub makes a unique dull clicking sound.

ZeroGravity
03-14-2016, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by bigboom

Depends what level of Fulcrum hub. Fulcrum hubs are awesome because they are fully rebuildable. DT Swiss are also excellent hubs, if Giant is pricing them that way then you are most likely getting some shitty hub vs a DT, if you were to purchase a shitty no name hub vs a DT 240 youd probably be at a $400ish difference in price.

from the description the fulcrum hub probably is the same one used on the fulcrum 7 lg and 5 lg... definitely not the same one as the 3 lg or zero.

Originally posted by lilmira
From what I can tell, it's just the weight and it's only 100g difference on the whole set. You can get the Dura Ace C24 for 1000 bucks a set online. Regular price carries quite a bit of mark up too so you can probably negotiate. Go to the shop and do a side by side spin test lol.

I have the SLR 0 Aero and the hub makes a unique dull clicking sound.

The SLR 0 Aero probably has the same internal (other than the rim) as the SLR 0. Was at cyclepath (royal oak) and the guy suggested to get the SLR 0 rear + SLR 1 front (both non aero) for the DT components in the rear if I were to stay with Giant brand (I have a defy advanced, so disc brakes).

Performance wise, I doubt the wheel upgrade will help me, but it sure looks nice. Spec wise, the SLR 0 and SLR 1 seems to be similar dimensions (depth, inner and outer width) as my current standard supplied wheels.

lilmira
03-14-2016, 04:19 PM
I do have the DT hubs on mine. I was curious about that as well when I found out about the 2016 SLR 1 being full carbon rims. They were alloy/carbon the year before.

Nice folks at Cyclepath North, They have treated me good. I'm a loyal customer now especially it's so close to me.

ZeroGravity
03-14-2016, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
I do have the DT hubs on mine. I was curious about that as well when I found out about the 2016 SLR 1 being full carbon rims. They were alloy/carbon the year before.

Nice folks at Cyclepath North, They have treated me good. I'm a loyal customer now especially it's so close to me.

oh, so the current lineup of carbon wheels are new for 2016 (model year)?

I know online shops like CRC almost always have "huge discounts" from the suggested retail price. Didn't think local shops will bother with discounts unless end of season or last year model etc. Getting wheelset from local shop does have its perks for if I do run into problems with it.

lilmira
03-15-2016, 08:06 AM
I'm pretty sure that we are well into 2016 model year.

I bought quite a few things from them and they have been giving me discount. They weren't online prices but they were close enough for me that I'd rather support local business. Just a few days ago, I was going to buy a small tool from them. After looking at the price, I didn't even say anything and the guy said "yeah it's kinda expensive for something you don't use too often." Then he just lend me one instead. Fair enough, they are now my shop to go to. Talk to them and see what they can do for you.

bigboom
03-15-2016, 02:23 PM
Since the rim is the same between them you could always get the cheaper one and then when it blows up rebuild it with better hubs.

How much mileage do you put on a year? Are you planning on racing? If you don't race/do high mileage save yourself the money.

ZeroGravity
03-16-2016, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by bigboom
Since the rim is the same between them you could always get the cheaper one and then when it blows up rebuild it with better hubs.

How much mileage do you put on a year? Are you planning on racing? If you don't race/do high mileage save yourself the money.

race? oh no... not even close to that league.
and neither in the high mileage category... "done" about 2000 km since August 2015. "done" because about 1800 km of those 2000 km is on Zwift :P
Might do commuting to work later if i give up parking... which should be under 20 km one way, but will likely do it on my older hybrid bike.