PDA

View Full Version : All you can eat Sushi ?

13E71DUDE
03-14-2016, 06:01 PM
Just moved here from Vancouver and miss all the all ucan eat sushi places I left behind, any good places in Calgary ?

CompletelyNumb
03-14-2016, 06:07 PM
Define good. :poosie:

MacLeod sushi BBQ is edible.

ercchry
03-14-2016, 06:10 PM
Ayce and good don't belong together... Haha... But there is a few okay ones I guess, Oishii in riverbend is pretty new, I was there about a month ago and had a good experience... Some people have had super terrible service though, we luckily had a great server

Sushi ichiban on Macleod is probably one of the oldest ones, it's consistently mediocre... Macleod sushi bbq inn just south of ichiban is good if you want some Korean bbq too, decent sized menu and one time the sushi chef told some woman with a screaming kid (like this kid was going nonstop for 20min) that she should take her kid to McDonald's instead, which was awesome since thats so rare in this day and age to say what everyone was thinking... I obviously live down south so not much experience with the north options... Sushi king use to be okay on 16th and had actual Japanese servers... But it closed down a long time ago

Oh, bluefin is also newer... They serve exactly 0 bluefin though... I almost ate here once but they didn't have a liquor license and they have these iPads you order on which were so filthy that we ended up just leaving... Huge stupid looking menu too with like 3 or 4 cuisines

tomt64
03-14-2016, 06:30 PM
The One and bluefin are alright. Quality isnt high but does the job if you can eat a lot.

buh_buh
03-14-2016, 06:37 PM
Went to Oishii this weekend and probably the best quality AYCE sushi I've had in Calgary. I'd go back.

GTR_Auto
03-14-2016, 06:46 PM
There is a new place by ranchlands scotia bank

Cooked Rice
03-14-2016, 10:02 PM
The One, is :barf:

I gave that place two tries even though I said I wasn't going back after the first. My mistake.

dj_rice
03-14-2016, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice

I gave that place two tries even though I said I wasn't going back after the first. My mistake.

Was reading up reviews about the One on yelp. They serve Spicy Tuna on Pringles chips. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Whenever I'm in town, I frequent Macleod Sushi. Never been to this Fusion Sushi on McKnight. They serve sushi along with Thai dishes like pad thai. Reviews look decent.

relyt92
03-14-2016, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice

I gave that place two tries even though I said I wasn't going back after the first. My mistake. :werd: Had 2 bad experiences there with not even mediocre food either time.

jltabot
03-14-2016, 11:27 PM
+1 for Oishii. Sashimi pieces are relatively small, but AYCE so just order a lot haha.

Also try going during non-peak times (early dinner 5-530). Your food will come out faster and service will be better. By the time 630-7 hits, its so busy that you're waiting for your orders for 20+ mins, this is where the service begins to suffer.

Overall, best AYCE sushi in Calgary IMO. Been three times.

dirtsniffer
03-15-2016, 05:12 AM
Oishii is good. Been twice in the last month.

They put unagi sauce on their rainbow roll. Weird.

killramos
03-15-2016, 06:45 AM
I have always gone to Ichiban on Macleod as my go to AYCE. My only complaint with the fish has been it can someones come out still frozen, and the selection. At least they serve Toro on the AYCE menu...

Its a good spot due to having so many hot food items including Ginger Beef of all things. lets you get a bit of variety.

Lunch menu is an awesome price too.

But tbh i haven't been in about 8 months. Much prefer going to a decent spot like Roku or Zipang. Looking at the bills i don't tend to spend much more at the nicer a la carte places than I would at AYCE. Combine that with the huge quality difference and there is a reason i don't do AYCE any more.

AYCE is still a good choice to go out with a bunch of guys for a pig out session followed by a sushi coma.

13E71DUDE
03-16-2016, 04:23 PM
I agree with the OP 100% that AYCE and "good" don't go together lol.
If you guys happen to be in Vancouver, try Kingsway Sushi, AYCE light menu is $15 and best bang for the buck.
If you want to spend about $25 you can have sushimi included too.

RX_EVOLV
03-16-2016, 04:27 PM
Had a very good experience with Oichii for dinner a few months ago. Not the cheapest (w/ the premium menu) but appreciate the variety. I would definitly go back.

I also love Sushi Ichiban on Macleod for their AYCE + ShabuShabu combo. The unagi to rice ratio on the sushi is amazing for AYCE, and so good to have ShabuShabu on the side for something hot. Quantity > quality of course.

For convenience sake we went to BlueFin last night and it was terribleeee. Never ever again. Avoid at all cost.

nykz
03-16-2016, 04:37 PM
Oishii is where I've been going lately for AYCE. The lunch AYCE is great value, for $17, it's very easy to get your moneys worth

ercchry
03-16-2016, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by killramos
... At least they serve Toro on the AYCE menu...

"Toro" is used very loosely there :rofl:

bball2
03-16-2016, 04:51 PM
Sushi bbq inn on 16th ave (across from SAIT) is pretty good. Limited sashimi selection, buts lots of ngiri / rolls / meats / appetizers.

jwslam
03-16-2016, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
For convenience sake
I was reading this wondering what convenience saké was? Japanese rice wine you get at 7-11? :rofl: :rofl:

cyra1ax
03-16-2016, 08:51 PM
There's also Fusion Sushi on 5th Ave, across the street from the Bow. $17 AYCE lunch, actually sounds like a sister restaurant to the one that is on McKnight that was mentioned earlier in the thread. Sushi is OK, they have some weird cooked fusion stuff(best to stay away).

TopNotch
03-17-2016, 12:24 PM
Oishii Sushi (Riverbend) > All others

JaffX
03-17-2016, 03:50 PM
+1 for Oishii Sushi at Riverbend, best AYCE in this city. Second best one imo would be Sushi Ichiban on Macleod Trail.

HomespunLobster
03-17-2016, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by JaffX
+1 for Oishii Sushi at Riverbend, best AYCE in this city. Second best one imo would be Sushi Ichiban on Macleod Trail.

Lunch specials are good deals, I just like the dinner AYCE since I can get unlimited Unagi

bleu
03-18-2016, 08:40 PM

It's pretty good! I had dinner here tonight and was impressed by the selection and service.

codetrap
03-18-2016, 08:53 PM

max_boost
03-18-2016, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by bleu

It's pretty good! I had dinner here tonight and was impressed by the selection and service. And u didn't stop by to say hi lols yea Oishii is pretty good. :thumbsup:

InRich
03-18-2016, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
And u didn't stop by to say hi lols yea Oishii is pretty good. :thumbsup:

been dying to call you and order. mmmm pepper squid. been on a hardcore workout/diet regiment to lower my cholesterol so every time I have you're number up on my phone and about to press send, I think about how hard I went on the row machine that day, and decide to have a glass of water instead. FFS! :banghead:

I'm gonna have to check out this sushi place though, since everyone raving about it.

LadyLuck
03-19-2016, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by bleu

It's pretty good! I had dinner here tonight and was impressed by the selection and service.

How much is it per person for the AYCE?

BigDL
03-19-2016, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by LadyLuck

It was like 39.xx for the deluxe menu including tip and tax.

jacky4566
03-19-2016, 07:36 AM
IMO. All you can eat isn't worth it unless you really need to cram your face. Go to Kinjo and spend the same for a better experiance and still leave feeling full.

Wakalimasu
03-19-2016, 08:11 AM
:thumbsup: for Oishii

If you go early as when they open they serve large portions but when it gets busy, you get really gross looking small portions heh. Just keep ordering it :p

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1632/24146028282_7c7e661a4b.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1530/24254101675_450b6f9abd.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1502/23886130339_7e62a4d403.jpg

Disoblige
03-19-2016, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by jacky4566
IMO. All you can eat isn't worth it unless you really need to cram your face. Go to Kinjo and spend the same for a better experiance and still leave feeling full.
I rather eat AYCE than Kinjo anyday.

Originally posted by Wakalimasu
:thumbsup: for Oishii
Pretty much this. In terms of quality and selection, it's quite decent. Hopefully they can figure out their service issues when it gets really busy. There's basically 0 communication between servers and kitchen, so you could either get tons of duplicated food, or no food at all.

JaffX
03-19-2016, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by LadyLuck

For lunch I believe it's like $16-17, for dinner it's $28 but with deluxe menu it's $32.

stevieo
03-19-2016, 11:26 AM
Price for Oishii ayce hasn't changed? I haven't been there since mid February but a friend of mine said they upped their prices.
Seems like it's same price though from a few of the posts here.

LadyLuck
03-19-2016, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by BigDL

It was like 39.xx for the deluxe menu including tip and tax.

For lunch I believe it's like $16-17, for dinner it's $28 but with deluxe menu it's $32.

good deal for AYCE, will have to go check it out, thanks guys!

:thumbsup:

relyt92
03-19-2016, 05:54 PM
IMO. All you can eat isn't worth it unless you really need to cram your face. Go to Kinjo and spend the same for a better experiance and still leave feeling full. AYCE is generally cheap sushi when you want lots, when you want good sushi don't go to a different place that also sells cheap sushi but without the all you can eat aspect.

InRich
03-20-2016, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by relyt92
AYCE is generally cheap sushi when you want lots, when you want good sushi don't go to a different place that also sells cheap sushi but without the all you can eat aspect.

You from WW1 or WW2?

dirtsniffer
03-20-2016, 01:27 PM
AYCE is generally cheap sushi when you want lots, when you want good sushi don't go to a different place that also sells cheap sushi but without the all you can eat aspect.

Originally posted by InRich

You from WW1 or WW2?

I don't know which post made less sense.

relyt92
03-20-2016, 02:13 PM
I do good English.

403ep3
03-20-2016, 09:40 PM
neither? :dunno:

flipstah
03-21-2016, 08:14 AM
I do good English.

Got it.

You're Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria.

dtrieu
03-21-2016, 09:36 AM

Kinjo is the worst.

TomcoPDR
03-21-2016, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by dtrieu

Kinjo is the worst.

And sexist, they only give out Porky to chicks

jwslam
03-21-2016, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
They only give out Porky to chicks
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I'm ok with not getting porked

relyt92
03-21-2016, 09:45 PM
Speaking of Kinjo http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/kinjo-sushi-calgary-1.3479952

Disoblige
03-21-2016, 09:50 PM
Speaking of Kinjo http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/kinjo-sushi-calgary-1.3479952
$500-600k of Pocky. Damn!

rage2
03-21-2016, 10:08 PM
$15m across 4 restaurants? That's over $10k a night average per restaurant. Are they really that busy?

lilmira
03-21-2016, 10:18 PM
I agree that Kinjo is like the McDonald's of sushi except the price. The owner may have good intention but the harassing is over the top. I had the scene from Donnie brasco flashing in my head when he did that to my table. No idea for ayce but I'm a loyal fan of roku.

Xtrema
03-21-2016, 10:38 PM
2nd for Roku but they do have one off night for me.

I found Kinjo annoying now and loud.

TomcoPDR
03-21-2016, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by rage2
$15m across 4 restaurants? That's over $10k a night average per restaurant. Are they really that busy?

Maybe they reporting income charged to employees for immigration status services. Those usually $50-60k per head.

know1edge
03-21-2016, 11:23 PM

Power_Of_Rotary
03-22-2016, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by know1edge

well he says he estimates over 15m with the 5th restaurant this year, so more like $8k. still a lot but I can see it

10K a day on average is realistic.

RX_EVOLV
03-22-2016, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by rage2

According to the owner on average they turn over 7 times (or something stupid high) per night during dinner service. It's crazy.

ExtraSlow
03-22-2016, 09:50 AM
Given that they cater to families, the first service is probably much earlier than other places, and families stay less time as well. 7 times seems high, but I could see them getting in a couple extra seatings a night no problem.

sputnik
03-22-2016, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
7 times seems high

Not really. When you consider that many would just pull up to the bar and start eating off of the sushi boats.

It is pretty easy to eat and run.

Also sushi can be eaten almost any time during the day. I have gone for lunch and dinner, but also in the later evening after a movie or show. It doesn't surprise me that the same seat will have seven people in it in one night.

RX_EVOLV
03-22-2016, 11:01 AM
We never spend more than 40 mins per visit to Kinjo on Macleod. We sit down, grab a bunch of sushi off the sushi belt, order a couple Udons, done. I think one time we wanted a quick snack and was in/out within 20 mins.

Xtrema
03-22-2016, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by RX_EVOLV

According to the owner on average they turn over 7 times (or something stupid high) per night during dinner service. It's crazy.

Well if he is trying to be McDonald's, won't be hard to over exaggerate numbers to attract franchisees.

I just can't see him expanding further without adopting a franchise model of some sort.

max_boost
03-22-2016, 01:48 PM
Props man. Kinjo is killing it.

Euro838
03-22-2016, 03:09 PM
Trying to organize an AYCE dinner, which is better?

1) One Sushi on Macleod
2) Oishii Sushi in Riverbend

Disoblige
03-22-2016, 03:24 PM
Oishii hands down if you're comparing the 2.

dj_rice
03-22-2016, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Euro838

1) One Sushi on Macleod

Oishii out of the 2.

Theres one AYCE place right across from The One Sushi thats decent called Macleod Sushi & BBQ. But I'd go to Oishii

Euro838
03-22-2016, 04:45 PM
Thanks, it's consistent with feedback from others that I have asked. Oishii it is. I used to like Kinjo until I realized there are so many better places than it.

max_boost
03-22-2016, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Oishii hands down if you're comparing the 2. and If you have 2 hours for dinner.

Manhattan
03-23-2016, 12:06 PM
One of my goals in life is to never be inclined to eat at a buffet again (except Vegas).

Quality>quantity. How much more are you actually gonna eat at a buffet? Most sushi places we usually end up packing up a few pieces at the end of the meal anyway.

Euro838
03-23-2016, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan
One of my goals in life is to never be inclined to eat at a buffet again (except Vegas).

Quality>quantity. How much more are you actually gonna eat at a buffet? Most sushi places we usually end up packing up a few pieces at the end of the meal anyway.

My viewpoint regarding buffets is about allowing flexibility and variety and not necessarily quantity. In a sushi restaurant, ordering individually gets quite expensive and usually in the combos or set variety platters, there's always something that doesn't get touched or you want more of. Most sushi AYCE end up going downhill after awhile but I think Oishii is still decent enough for quality.

Rocket1k78
03-23-2016, 04:40 PM

My viewpoint regarding buffets is about allowing flexibility and variety and not necessarily quantity. In a sushi restaurant, ordering individually gets quite expensive and usually in the combos or set variety platters, there's always something that doesn't get touched or you want more of. Most sushi AYCE end up going downhill after awhile but I think Oishii is still decent enough for quality.

Same here, we love ayce for the variety too.

Oishi is probably the best in town right now.

adam c
03-23-2016, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

Theres one AYCE place right across from The One Sushi thats decent called Macleod Sushi & BBQ. But I'd go to Oishii

That place has such terrible service and the portions are tiny

1) One Sushi on Macleod

This place has a lot more than just Sushi though so it appeals to more people, the korean ribs are really good there

dj_rice
03-23-2016, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by adam c

That place has such terrible service and the portions are tiny

I've only gone during lunch and never at peak times, maybe 30 mins after opening we've gone. Been okay. Food comes out quick and fast. Portions eh....just order tons more.

n1zm0
03-24-2016, 07:23 AM
1) One Sushi on Macleod

Even if it's AYCE, I find this place to be the Oriental Phoenix of sushi places, one demographic loves it(so I guess they're doing something right, since they're still there after however many years), the other feels the complete opposite.

adam c
03-24-2016, 07:44 AM
I checked out Oishii with the wife last night, service was fast and food delivery pretty prompt, never missed an item like they often do at One Sushi. Some of the portion sizes were laughable though but whatever, just ordered more the next round. I did find the sushi on the sweet side though, not sure if that was me or not, especially the salmon

CompletelyNumb
04-01-2016, 08:53 AM
Went to Oishii yesterday with a friend. Ordered every item on the deluxe menu, plus every sushi and every sashimi. Also a few of the rolls, gyozas, crab... Some notes:

1) Portions were ridiculously small. Smaller than any I've ever seen. Needed to order 6x servings.
2) After one hour service slowed down drastically. Perhaps because it was slightly busier and our server was weak. Perhaps because two big men had been stuffing their faces for an hour lol. Also items were missed a few times.
3) Many things tasted sweet. Even the wasabi and unsweeted soy.
4) Crab legs come with no crackers or forks. You have to go full savage on them.

All in, I'd give it 3/5. Not the worst sushi I've had in Calgary. Possibly better than all the other AYCE places.

I got my moneys worth though, and these days that's pretty important :bigpimp:

Disoblige
04-01-2016, 09:05 AM
Looks like their service hasn't improved at all. There is a huge disconnect between kitchen and server staff. Basically what will happen is you'll get close to nothing for the longest time when it's busy. You inquire with the server and all they do is enter it again in the system. And again if it hasn't come for another period of time (even if you didn't inquire and it was the server that asked if it came).

You'll be waiting forever, but then BAM you get duplicates of the dish because the server entered it again. There were times where we told the server," DON'T ENTER IT AGAIN! We don't want to see another duplicate order when it finally does start coming".

It seems like they don't give a shit what happens in the kitchen; this is what they said before: "oh, if it comes again, just send it back and they'll deal with it".