PDA

View Full Version : Beer League Hockey roster turn out?

mr2mike
03-15-2016, 09:43 AM
Just wondering if other teams suffer with getting enough guys to turn out for hockey?

Seems like a few teams I play on or guys I know all have the same problem of guys pulling the no show or last minute can't make it and you're stuck with a short bench.

Any ideas on mitigating this that have worked?

If this is really wide spread, you cut the teams back and we'd all get better ice times.

ExtraSlow
03-15-2016, 10:04 AM
Every guy on the team pays an extra $100 at the start of the season, and loses $25 each time they miss a game, regardless of excuse.
Use the money to pay for an end of season party.

riander5
03-15-2016, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Every guy on the team pays an extra $100 at the start of the season, and loses $25 each time they miss a game, regardless of excuse.
Use the money to pay for an end of season party.

Fuck id leave that team so fast. Hockey is expensive enough, and although fun not always the most important thing happening in life... I dont know who on my team hasnt missed 2-3 games over a season

mr2mike
03-15-2016, 10:17 AM
Thought about the extra $. Used to 'fine' people a 6 pack that went towards a year end party. That still didn't really work for the big offenders. They'd just leave the team.

2-3 games is fine. I'm talking 50% turn out rate and what's worse is the no shows.
26 games so far. 5 guys have 20+ games. Most are about 10 or less games. Most games we have 2 lines. Can't be competitive with that kind of showing. Not when the other team shows up with 3 lines and everyone with 18+ games played.

A day or two out, you should know if you're going to make it. Yes, life happens but take some responsibility. It's not the team's responsibility to chase guys down.

Just saying, I hear about the lack of decent ice times in this city because of too many people playing hockey. The teams I know of mostly have poor turn outs. Close those teams or merge them and you'd be able to get better ice times.

JRSC00LUDE
03-15-2016, 10:29 AM
In my City, we've found over the last three years since I've started playing again that our team is almost always bouncing off having too many guys while others who we play suffer like you've mentioned.

The feedback we've gotten from guys who joined our team new this past season (to replace a couple guys who moved or were lost to injury) is simply that they like showing up because our team is fun to be with. We're not that good, a bit over 500, we just have a solid core of guys that make the time enjoyable.

These new guys ditched the teams they were on and came to us to join ours for the simple fact that they didn't like the environment around the guys they played with. One guy waited two years after asking to play with us for a spot to open up. That's why everyone shows up, barring illness or vacation, we have fun and there are no overly detracting personalities.

My_name_is_Rob
03-15-2016, 10:46 AM
I think what JR said really sums it up. If everybody is having fun, that's the main thing. I will admit, I am one of those guys that doesn't show up as much due a change of schedule half way through the season, and the fact I hate playing with puck carrying defensemen who don't pass up. That being said though, I rarely miss a chance to play drop-in, because it's usually against more skilled players, and generally a lot more fun to play.

I also would rather play on a short bench though. Three lines of each is just way too many guys, for usually only 1-1.5 hours. Our latest playoff game, we had two full lines of forwards, and an extra D man, and we won by a fair margin, against a team ranked right below us, with a full bench.

TurboMedic
03-15-2016, 12:55 PM
9 skaters is where its at anyhow, 6F 3D. best way to play, anything more is too slow and anything less is also fun but disadvantageous. I've skated 3 games this season at C for the full ice time.

lasimmon
03-15-2016, 01:09 PM
Add more guys to the team. We had the same issue and just added more people to the team. The odd game we have too many guys but its still good.

Also makes it cheaper for everyone.

Sorath
03-15-2016, 01:48 PM
i always keep track benchapp is a good site for people to check in.

otherwise make a group chat on whatsapp.

Usually if we are under 10 people 6 Fwd 4 D i will get some subs.

lasimmon
03-15-2016, 01:57 PM
I like having 11 guys the most. 7 forwards and 4 D.

That way if you have a long shift or getting tired you can sit one every now and then.

max_boost
03-15-2016, 01:59 PM
Well depends on the tiers lol you white boys playing tier 1 vs us Asians tier 3 <5 years on ice haha

My team runs 9/4 and it works out great. Never have a shortage, great group and a lot of fun.

sexualbanana
03-15-2016, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
Add more guys to the team. We had the same issue and just added more people to the team. The odd game we have too many guys but its still good.

Also makes it cheaper for everyone.

Not hockey related, but we've had it in football when we put together a big roster knowing there will be 4-5 guys who can't come every week. But then playoffs come around and you've got enough to field 2 squads because everyone wants to play in the playoffs.

lasimmon
03-15-2016, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

Not hockey related, but we've had it in football when we put together a big roster knowing there will be 4-5 guys who can't come every week. But then playoffs come around and you've got enough to field 2 squads because everyone wants to play in the playoffs.

Then you put in attendance rules for playoffs. People are too nice when it comes to sports haha.

At least in my hockey league they have games played requirements which is helpful.

dandia89
03-15-2016, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

i've ran a football team, 3rd year for 7 on 7 and i've rostered 14 players have a reliable sub list. It's a headache but you have to really assess the type of person they are before adding them to the roster. I've had a 12-14 person attendance every game in a 14 game season. Also used team snap to ensure they are coming or not. Sometimes you gotta bug one or two guys, but they'll smarten up once you harass them enough

mr2mike
03-16-2016, 12:56 PM
I'll talk to the team manager and see what he figures. Thanks for the input.

C_Dave45
03-16-2016, 01:12 PM
What are team dues nowadays?

I stopped playing almost 10 years ago, but it was a completely different "game" back then.
When I played it was $6,000-$7,000 per year, and we usually got a decent sponsor, so player dues were $300-$400. The odd time we'd be short-benched, but 80% of our games we played with 14 guys. (3 forward lines and 2 D). That was in a Premier division with full contact, so you needed 3 lines.
Also our team had been together for years. We partied together on AND off the ice. Plus dressing rooms were for drinking beer and smokin "up". We usually sold about 6 dozen beer after every game. If we were the last ice slot, the Zamboni driver would leave and just tell us to "lock up after yourselves" and we'd order in Pizza. Wives and girlfriends were included. It was one big family.
I'd raise close to $1500 for a year-end party from the beer fund. Or it helped with out-of-town tournies.

The last time I spared for a team here, NO one dared drink a beer in the dressing room. A few might go to a restaurant for a beer, but by then it was midnight and most just headed home.

I miss hockey, but I don't think I'd enjoy it like I used to.

JfuckinC
03-16-2016, 01:13 PM
Use TeamSnap, Add subs in there, then tell guys if they don't sign in 48 hours before the game their spots get taken by subs. That's what we do, we usually have 10-12, but if it's down to 9, i love playing 3 D and skating most of the game anyway lol.. But like stated before, we have a good core of subs to cover our guys who sometimes work out of town. And they like playing with us so its not hard to get them out short notice.

My season is almost over :cry:

lasimmon
03-16-2016, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
What are team dues nowadays?

I stopped playing almost 10 years ago, but it was a completely different &quot;game&quot; back then.
When I played it was $6,000-$7,000 per year, and we usually got a decent sponsor, so player dues were $300-$400. The odd time we'd be short-benched, but 80% of our games we played with 14 guys. (3 forward lines and 2 D). That was in a Premier division with full contact, so you needed 3 lines.
Also our team had been together for years. We partied together on AND off the ice. Plus dressing rooms were for drinking beer and smokin &quot;up&quot;. We usually sold about 6 dozen beer after every game. If we were the last ice slot, the Zamboni driver would leave and just tell us to &quot;lock up after yourselves&quot; and we'd order in Pizza. Wives and girlfriends were included. It was one big family.
I'd raise close to $1500 for a year-end party from the beer fund. Or it helped with out-of-town tournies.

The last time I spared for a team here, NO one dared drink a beer in the dressing room. A few might go to a restaurant for a beer, but by then it was midnight and most just headed home.

I miss hockey, but I don't think I'd enjoy it like I used to.

I pay $750 for my team which includes 29 games + playoffs. Also it includes beer after every game.

A big problem now is the City of Calgary has banned beer from all dressing rooms. So unless you play at a private facility like we do you can't drink in the room.

C_Dave45
03-16-2016, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon

I pay $750 for my team which includes 29 games + playoffs. Also it includes beer after every game.

A big problem now is the City of Calgary has banned beer from all dressing rooms. So unless you play at a private facility like we do you can't drink in the room.

That's not TOO bad. Do you get any money from a sponsor? We were sponsored by a pub and they would always give us a couple grand each year.

It's always been illegal to drink in a dressing room. Always. It was just never enforced back then unless you were a complete jerk about it.

We always put all our cans into a clean garbage bad and left that for the Zamboni driver. Also we threw him and the refs a couple of cold beer after every game. We would walk into the arena with a giant cooler with up to a 100 cans of beer. In plain site. No one ever said anything, despite there being signs everywhere about "the consumption of alcohol is illegal in dressing rooms". This goes back to the late 80's.

lasimmon
03-16-2016, 02:07 PM
No sponsor money, unless you count the guys who pay and come to less than 10 games haha.

Yah but now the zamboni guys come in like 20 mins after you are done and make sure you are not drinking and on your way out.

I know a team that got booted from their league this year since they got busted drinking.

SkiBum5.0
03-16-2016, 02:41 PM
^ that's un-Canadian!