PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about the laws regarding non mechanics working on cars

tuner117
03-15-2016, 12:42 PM
Hi there, I'm just wondering about laws and regulations regarding people without their mechanics ticket working on people's cars. Doing simple upkeep on vehicles (ie. Oil changes, brakes, lights and body work) if someone would be able clear the air that would be awesome!

Thanks
Brayden

rage2
03-15-2016, 01:11 PM
It's a regulated trade.

http://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/trades-occupations/profiles/009/

Working in Alberta

To work as an automotive service technician in Alberta, a person must be a registered apprentice, an Alberta-certified journeyperson, or hold a valid recognized credential.

Individuals possessing a valid recognized credential in Alberta are eligible to receive a Blue Seal business credential after completing the necessary requirements.
The laws should be under the Fair Trade Act, but I doubt anyone is going to go after a kijiji mechanic.

revelations
03-15-2016, 01:18 PM
My guess is that its like selling vehicles. There are laws that govern the trade but as long as you aren't too busy, have neighbours asking questions/complaining about random vehicles coming and going (city can/will come and see if you have an unlicensed business) you can fly under the radar so to speak (kijiji).

Also, cash only and no paperwork = hard to prove liability/culpability.

carson blocks
03-15-2016, 01:18 PM
How does Canadian Tire get away with having a garage full of chimps wildly swinging hammers, and one journeyman? Are all the chimps registered apprentices?

I've worked at a few garages back in the day and often the tire and lube kid's only qualifications were that he could get 'lefty loosey, righty tighty' correct at least 35% of the time and usually remember to put oil back in, preferably before starting it, but not always.

know1edge
03-15-2016, 01:28 PM

G-ZUS
03-15-2016, 01:44 PM
AMVIC

Ca_Silvia13
03-15-2016, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
AMVIC

AMVIC does nothing but protect the dealership that feed AMVIC money. They're fucking useless for anything and everything.

G-ZUS
03-15-2016, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13

AMVIC does nothing but protect the dealership that feed AMVIC money. They're fucking useless for anything and everything.

They probably go after back alley mechanics the way they go after curbers :dunno: But I agree with you on the useless part.

tuner117
03-15-2016, 03:44 PM
Okay, now I always hear about people being sued in court, I am not planning on suing anyone and am trying to make sure everything would be okay, just have some family friends that were asking and am trying to figure out the most information I can to provide to them. I am not a mechanic with a ticket and just trying to help some friends out but don't want to break any laws
Thanks
Brayden

94boosted
03-15-2016, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by know1edge
it depends on what is being done. no certification is required for oil changes or lights..

Or tire rotations, swaps, balancing etc., which is shocking. When I was a 17yo kid working at a Chrysler dealership I was swapping tires/wheels all the time, and always made sure to properly torque the wheels with an impact :rofl: