PDA

View Full Version : LF: Sandblasting

G-ZUS
03-18-2016, 06:05 AM
I have 4 17" alloy wheels I need sandblasted. Does anyone here have a sandblaster and can do it for me? Will be happy to pitch you some beer money or something.

Called Consolidated Compressor and they want $150/hour to do it yourself, outdoors! :dunno:

sr20s14zenki
03-18-2016, 06:37 AM
Try giving CWIC a call. Talk to Rob. Canada West Industrial Coatings. Good guys. Been awhile since we used them, but then again, were a bit slow.

SOAB
03-18-2016, 08:25 AM
I have used consolidated compressor before and I've never used a full hour. did a set of rims in about 20 minutes or so. also did a front bumper in less time than that but just ended up paying their minimum.

G-ZUS
03-18-2016, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by SOAB
I have used consolidated compressor before and I've never used a full hour. did a set of rims in about 20 minutes or so. also did a front bumper in less time than that but just ended up paying their minimum.

Maybe Ill have to try that :dunno: How much is minimum charge?

G-ZUS
03-18-2016, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Try giving CWIC a call. Talk to Rob. Canada West Industrial Coatings. Good guys. Been awhile since we used them, but then again, were a bit slow.

Will try him too thanks

BerserkerCatSplat
03-18-2016, 10:01 AM
Yeah I used Consolidated last time I did wheels, no complaints other than the first time you go there, they run the payment clock while showing you how to use the equipment.

Keep in mind the media they use is quite coarse. You will have a rather rough finish on your alloy wheels. Are you just trying to strip the clearcoat?

G-ZUS
03-18-2016, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Yeah I used Consolidated last time I did wheels, no complaints other than the first time you go there, they run the payment clock while showing you how to use the equipment.

Keep in mind the media they use is quite coarse. You will have a rather rough finish on your alloy wheels. Are you just trying to strip the clearcoat?

Oh, interesting! Thanks for the heads-up on the clock and media. I want to strip off the paint to repaint them. I left a voicemail for Rob @ CWIC.

Tempted to go the aircraft paint stripper route too :dunno:

BerserkerCatSplat
03-18-2016, 10:30 AM
Yeah for paint removal on alloys I'd just chemically strip & pressure wash, or maybe soda-blast/walnut-blast them if someone in town does that. Coarse sand media works fine on the ol' winter steelies, but I don't think you'd like the textured finish it would leave on your alloys.

Maxx Mazda
03-18-2016, 04:35 PM
How does consolidated compressor work? Just show up with your wares and hammer down? Do they supply the PPE and stuff?

BerserkerCatSplat
03-18-2016, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
How does consolidated compressor work? Just show up with your wares and hammer down? Do they supply the PPE and stuff?

Yep. Roll in, they give you safety gear (I wore my own coveralls, can't remember if they had any to borrow), walk you through the process if it's your first time, and you blast away to your heart's content. Time charged is basically from when you leave their office to when you return and drop off the safety gear. The blasting equipment is immensely powerful, so things get done quicker than you might expect.

Aside from that, don't show up wearing sandals, and I'd recommend not parking directly behind the blast table. ;)

Maxx Mazda
03-18-2016, 05:11 PM
I have an at home blaster, but it takes ages to complete a big job. What's the rate? For example half an hour of blasting would cost me how much?

never
03-18-2016, 09:00 PM
I have done wheels for about $40-50 at Consolidated. But I think that was before the rates went up.

Tell them you are doing aluminum wheels, they have stations with finer material. You can also blast with different media inside (I haven't done that but there were signs up).

I have done aluminum wheels with the regular sand and there was a textured finish. But if you paint the wheels properly, everything fills in nicely.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-18-2016, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by never
Tell them you are doing aluminum wheels, they have stations with finer material. You can also blast with different media inside (I haven't done that but there were signs up).

Huh, that's good to know. They didn't mention that when I was there, they just pointed me out to the yard and handed me some gear.

never
03-18-2016, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Huh, that's good to know. They didn't mention that when I was there, they just pointed me out to the yard and handed me some gear.

The last time I was there I told them I was doing aluminum wheels. He asked me if I wanted a finer media and I said no because these wheels were pretty bad. So I can't vouch for ever having used it. I do have to blast some nicer wheels for the diesel soon (gotta get them ready for non-winter tires)...I'll see if I can use something easier on aluminum.

btimbit
03-18-2016, 11:17 PM
I sandblast pipelines and can do it for you for free, but it would have to wait until I head out next and who knows when that is. Could be a while. If you want to get it done fast probably not your best bet, but an open invite to anyone else that needs something

Originally posted by never

The last time I was there I told them I was doing aluminum wheels. He asked me if I wanted a finer media and I said no because these wheels were pretty bad. So I can't vouch for ever having used it. I do have to blast some nicer wheels for the diesel soon (gotta get them ready for non-winter tires)...I'll see if I can use something easier on aluminum.

Not sure what consolidated usually gives you, probably copper slag, but for aluminum wheels I'd use a glass grit. Would cut through rust and paint easily but wouldn't take away too much of the wheel itself. Blasting with kleen blast can take away a few mm of the actual metal you're blasting, which is good for some applications but not something I'd want with wheels.

Ven
03-19-2016, 08:01 PM
I did a dirt bike expansion chamber and frame for $20, and I was super picky. The equipment they have there makes work go very very fast. Fun too.

G-ZUS
03-19-2016, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
I sandblast pipelines and can do it for you for free, but it would have to wait until I head out next and who knows when that is. Could be a while. If you want to get it done fast probably not your best bet, but an open invite to anyone else that needs something

Not sure what consolidated usually gives you, probably copper slag, but for aluminum wheels I'd use a glass grit. Would cut through rust and paint easily but wouldn't take away too much of the wheel itself. Blasting with kleen blast can take away a few mm of the actual metal you're blasting, which is good for some applications but not something I'd want with wheels.

Ill take you up on that free offer. Got an old steel license plate that can use blasting

btimbit
03-21-2016, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

Ill take you up on that free offer. Got an old steel license plate that can use blasting

I'll send you a pm the next time I head out

Str1der
06-26-2017, 02:55 PM
Besides Consolidated Compressor, are there other self service sandblasting options available in Calgary?

Consolidated is a decent option in terms of their service and station availability. However, as an occasional hobbyist, $150 an hour is expensive in my opinion. Either that or I'm far too picky about how clean my projects should be. My last outing, stripping the oxidized and bubbled factory finish off of Tacoma wheels, took just over an hour. My powder-coater commented that the wheels arrived with no further clean-up required on his part. So needless to say, they were spotless and came out with a perfect finish.

I have two more sets of wheels to complete. So, if you have any ideas or options that would offer some cost containment, then please please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

never
06-26-2017, 03:36 PM
Sounds like you are just taking too long. I can get a set of wheels done at Consolidated in well under 1/2 an hour...I think I just got charged the minimum ($40 plus tax I think, or maybe it was $60) when I did a set a couple of weeks ago. And my PC guy didn't have to do anything to them either.

And there is a big difference in technique/speed with the same results. I went to Consolidated with a buddy to do some stuff. I did a 20 foot flatdeck trailer (no deck on it) and he did miscellaneous stuff (ramps, firepit, a few parts off of another trailer). It cost me $325 to do the entire trailer and he was $375 to do his stuff that would have easily taken me under an hour with the same results.

Str1der
06-26-2017, 06:01 PM
Yeah, that could be it for sure. Though Im not sure what I can do to cut down the completion time. Any tips?

never
06-28-2017, 04:22 PM
Yeah, that could be it for sure. Though Im not sure what I can do to cut down the completion time. Any tips?

Well my buddy was just moving too slow, holding it too close and taking off way too much material (taking off good metal). When I do wheels, I usually do every one the same way, one side up, rotate twice, flip and rotate twice again. Do that to all of the wheels you're doing. Then take off the mask to get a closer look, touch up final areas and you should be good.

LUDELVR
06-29-2017, 02:14 PM
I've never actually used one of these before but I need to sandblast a worm gear. It's maybe 2-3 inches in length.

Can anyone hook a brotha up?