PDA

View Full Version : InstaMek - Mobile mechanic company - any thoughts?

ExtraSlow
03-21-2016, 03:44 PM
Read about this in Alberta Venture, and it sounds like a really cool concept. Kind of a new-tech way of distributing old-tech services. Has more legitimacy than the kijiji wrench-turners, with a real company backing up the services, and providing a warranty, although I have no idea how valuable that is.

http://instamek.com/

And no, I'm not affiliated with this company, nor do I know anyone who is.

btimbit
03-21-2016, 05:04 PM
I like it. If it's something that would require a tow, easier to have a guy come with a service truck and just fix it right there.

M.alex
03-21-2016, 05:08 PM
I too like it ... if the idea works smoothly.

nobb
03-21-2016, 05:41 PM
Looking at the page for becoming a "Mek", it seems like they have to supply their own vehicle and tools. This lack of consistency would be a concern because they are basically just contracting out the work to whoever. A trailer/van/truck of tools still won't be as comprehensive as a real garage with a lift, special service tools, misc nuts/bolts/fittings. Plus, working outdoors you deal with wind, rain, dirt...

HiTempguy1
03-21-2016, 05:43 PM
Lots (most) service jobs don't require special tools, training, or to be indoors.

Tire changes, brakes, u-joints, cv axles, sensor replacement, etc etc all can be done relatively easily in a driveway.

I had a guy come and do my tires on my truck (balance) for $80. Was a damn good deal, easily would have wasted 2+ hours of my time plus fuel to get it done anywhere.

mr2mike
03-21-2016, 06:41 PM
I've done some on site mech work and even knowing what the job was and vehicle. There are still things that get you stuck and wished you had your whole garage with you.
Add the fact climbing around on the gravel laden road, etc, sucks.

Brakes would take much longer too.

HiTempguy: I'd remove cv axles off your list of easy to do in driveway. Rather do that in a shop. ;)

revelations
03-21-2016, 08:23 PM
I suppose replacing an alternator belt on the side of Deerfoot in January would be something. Cheaper than a tow + mechanic?

HiTempguy1
03-22-2016, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike

Brakes would take much longer too.

HiTempguy: I'd remove cv axles off your list of easy to do in driveway. Rather do that in a shop. ;)

I can't count the number of times I've done brakes and rotors in a driveway or on the street (or even worse, in a muddy torrential downpour while racing).

Cv axles? All depends.

Again, this isn't something some joe-schmoe should do. But if you are a knowledgeable mechanic with the right skills and make/model specific experience, it can be a great way to make some decent cash.

Anything to do with opening up the motor in anyway? In the shop she goes!