PDA

View Full Version : Selling car to US Resident

cream
03-21-2016, 05:27 PM
Posting on behalf of my friend:

A guy from California is interested in buying his car as found on AutoTrader. Apart from being from Cali, everything seems legit so far. He's going to run a carproof and if everything checks out, he's looking to fly to Calgary and drive it back. He said he would accompany my friend to the bank to deposit the traveller's check (or some sort?)

Now, are there any other concerns you guys can think of in this sort of scenario?

Can the cheque get denied (bank hold? or NSF after a few days?).

Any sort of special paperwork required?

Everything is structurally sounds asides for a windshield crack.

My thinking is once the money clears, send him on his way :dunno:

But we've never dealt with a buyer over the border.

Thanks in advance!

Kloubek
03-21-2016, 05:39 PM
As long as the funds are guaranteed, he should be ok. It may very well be legit; with the dollar, cars are travelling south at a high pace.

Paperwork from the buyer's side would be required, but not the side of the seller. Standard transaction.

SKR
03-21-2016, 06:02 PM
I just did this last week.

Tell him to send a wire transfer. Find out from your bank how long it will take to process. For me it was same day, but it was all day. Tell him to get his own shit together as far as paperwork goes. He's the importer and it's his country. Even if you wanted to be nice and do it for him, you can't. Yeah he can drive it back. As far as I understand it someone needs to be at the border to do the paperwork, either him or someone on his behalf so he might as well drive it home himself. I would if it was me.

My bank said he can just report the traveler's check stolen, and they would have no choice but to take the money back out of my account until they got it sorted out. So don't do that. Wire transfer or cash is the only way to go. Certified or cashier's checks take 15 business days to clear.

Edit: He'll tell you he needs your plate. You should talk to your registry about that. I let him go with mine, but I cancelled it. The registry I talked to said I could cancel it and then whatever trouble he gets into wouldn't be my problem. But look into that yourself and make sure. Their DMV says the plate and the car need to stay together.

corsvette
03-21-2016, 06:17 PM
Don't give your plate. They think they need it because in most states the plate stays with the car. He should bring his own permit/plate.

Wire transfer is the only way to go. My bank (RBC) hold them for 24hrs though.

Once you get paid, sign the regi over it all his from there on.

rage2
03-21-2016, 06:21 PM
They don't need your plate. They can buy an intransit permit, good for 7 days. As long as they have insurance and the bill of sale, that's good enough to pick up a permit.

mr2mike
03-21-2016, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by SKR
Tell him to get his own shit together as far as paperwork goes. He's the importer and it's his country. Even if you wanted to be nice and do it for him, you can't.

:rofl: How the tables have turned.
Imported a few cars and these are the hoops I had to jump through. Now it's the US's turn.

roopi
03-21-2016, 08:19 PM
As stated cashier check/money order/bank draft in US funds will be held by the bank. Wire transfer is the way to go. He just spends an extra day in Calgary while you wait for it to come through.

90_Shelby
03-22-2016, 11:38 AM
I also recently sold a car to a guy in the US, does anyone have recommendations on who to use for shipping/transport? I'm trying to help the guy line this up and I would assume there should be plenty of guys willing to trailer a car to the states for a reasonable cost. (Calgary to Tennessee)

The car is originally from the US so importing shouldn't be a huge concern. Buyer sent a deposit via paypal and the rest will be wire transferred.

My understanding is the following documentation is needed in this situation:
Car fax showing the car had registration history in the USA.
Bill of sale. (purchase price, vin, owners signature.)
For sale ad (they will want to see it.)
Current Canadian registration / title. (owners signature.)
epa form 3520
dot form hs-7
Canadian import documents from past owner. (not necessary, but can make it smoother at the border.)

I didn't want to start a new thread since this is slightly related.

mr2mike
03-22-2016, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by roopi
He just spends an extra day in Calgary while you wait for it to come through.

I've had to spend an extra day waiting on funds to be cleared in the US. Just the cost of doing the transaction.

Originally posted by 90_Shelby
The car is originally from the US so importing shouldn't be a huge concern.

My understanding is the following documentation is needed in this situation:
Car fax showing the car had registration history in the USA.
Bill of sale. (purchase price, vin, owners signature.)
For sale ad (they will want to see it.)
Current Canadian registration / title. (owners signature.)
epa form 3520
dot form hs-7
Canadian import documents from past owner. (not necessary, but can make it smoother at the border.)

I didn't want to start a new thread since this is slightly related.

Doesn't matter that car if from US. Just that it would pass the vehicle requirements to go to USA.

In past, the seller basically said, tell me what you need and I'll get it but realistically, it's all on the buyer. They're providing the papers to the border. You can help a bit but not much.
Car fax probably to show that it meets all safety recalls and is not a salvage.

Consider getting some items notarized. Could help. I've had them never even ask to see half the documents. Just depends.

rage2
03-22-2016, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
:rofl: How the tables have turned.
Imported a few cars and these are the hoops I had to jump through. Now it's the US's turn.
It's like it's the 90s all over again haha.

90_Shelby
03-22-2016, 08:32 PM
After several phone calls today I've discovered that US customs is holding newer vehicles at the border for 30 days prior to allowing them across the border. Apparently they started doing this about 2 months ago.

SKR
03-22-2016, 08:41 PM
I sent a 2014 Camaro across a week ago. I heard from buddy a few days later and he didn't say he was going to be hanging out at the border for the next few weeks.

I think if you're going through a registered importer, that process takes a while. But I don't think it's true that there's any kind of a wait like that. Call the border at Sweetgrass. The US side, not the Canadian side.

avishal26
03-22-2016, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by 90_Shelby
After several phone calls today I've discovered that US customs is holding newer vehicles at the border for 30 days prior to allowing them across the border. Apparently they started doing this about 2 months ago.

Yup - I wast just about to post this.

Apparently it has always been in the books that they can hold vehicles for 30 days prior to import, but it was never really exercised by the border officials due to low volume.

Now that there are so many vehicles being exported to the states, they send everything to a holding lot for 30 days. My source is a broker at SMV Brokers. He also said because of the delays etc, a Canadian car fetches less now than it did back in December / early January.

avishal26
03-22-2016, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by SKR
I sent a 2014 Camaro across a week ago. I heard from buddy a few days later and he didn't say he was going to be hanging out at the border for the next few weeks.

I think if you're going through a registered importer, that process takes a while. But I don't think it's true that there's any kind of a wait like that. Call the border at Sweetgrass. The US side, not the Canadian side.

It could be that they are not exercising the 30 day hold for individuals importing... maybe only for businesses.

colinxx235
03-23-2016, 07:53 AM
Yah I sold off an F-150 to a guy from Utah in January and was glad I called banks to find out how easy they can cancel a bank draft/certified cheque in the states. Plus they hold the funds 3-4 weeks on top of that...

So we found a different way that worked out thankfully and I never heard any issues back so I'm guessing he got it across the border easily enough.

adamc
03-23-2016, 10:26 AM
People that have sold their cars to the U.S.:

Where did you advertise? Ebay? Craigslist?

I'm in Toronto now, no real use for a lifted Dodge Ram, and would like to get a good price for it stateside.

SKR
03-23-2016, 10:53 AM
I used a Camaro forum. Try Dodge or just general truck forums, or something like dieselsellerz.

SkiBum5.0
03-23-2016, 11:53 AM
The hold is for business's not individuals. I'm crossing with my truck next week and they said it should take 15 minutes given it's a 2015 and not for resale.

90_Shelby
03-24-2016, 09:49 AM
ebay and Hemmings