PDA

View Full Version : Windows Surface 3 issue

shakalaka
03-22-2016, 12:57 PM
Okay, so I picked this up yesterday because I've wanted one for a long time. The guy I got it from had it for a couple of months and apparently used it for like 2 weeks.

Anyway, I got it and did a hard reset because I wanted to start it up as brand new. That took the whole night but I got it all set up from a brand new device and everything processed without issues. Downloaded all the latest Windows 10 updates and everything this morning and started using it. Everything was fine until I decided to download some apps from the Store.

I tried downloading Netflix and it doesn't work. Gives me a ridiculous error no matter how many times I try it. I tried downloading Cineplex, VLC and some others and exact same issue. Just keeps giving me some error code.

I google and tried everything high and dry to find a fix. Watched several videos and followed steps. Things like WSReset.exe command, or the powershare command and making sure time/date is accurate.

I know there are some people here that loves these things and I am hoping that I can get some help. I am not sure if it's an issue but I am at work and connected to the public internet connection that is open to everyone. I am thinking perhaps that might be an issue and I intend to go home and try it with my personal wifi. But if that's not the issue (don't know why it should be, other app stores like Apple, Android work fine on this wifi) I am hoping that someone here knows what I should do.

Thanks in advance gents.

A790
03-22-2016, 02:03 PM
What's the error code?

shakalaka
03-22-2016, 02:07 PM
0X80073CF9

Sometimes that pops up and sometimes it just gets stuck in the downloading stage.

rage2
03-22-2016, 02:07 PM
Ya need more info here. Are you signed into your Microsoft account?

shakalaka
03-22-2016, 02:08 PM
Yup, signed into my Hotmail account and everything.

shakalaka
03-22-2016, 02:16 PM
And here's the other thing, does this not charge with a random USB cable connected to it? I have a generic cable in right now and it shows as plugged in at the bottom but also says not charging. Does it need the OEM Microsoft cable or something? Or is something wrong with this?

01RedDX
03-22-2016, 02:53 PM

shakalaka
03-22-2016, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

No I think you need at least 2 amps for this thing. That rules out most devices' USB ports.

Oh okay that makes sense then. Cause this is a regular USB cable from an old phone. I can see that's it's trying as it's discharging significantly slowly because of it, but it just doesn't charge it unless I don't use the device at all and even then it's extremely slow.

Anyway, the other issue still exists. Hoping that one of the pro's can help out with the error code posted above.

Thanks

01RedDX
03-22-2016, 03:11 PM

shakalaka
03-22-2016, 04:02 PM
I get that I haven't used Windows in about 8 years now but trying to follow instructions on that page makes me feel like a complete retard. The first two steps of option 1 make no sense, as in, when I do what they say nothing really happens. The 'windows' button on the keyboard is the one I assume that has a window on it and pressing and holding it doesn't do jack like they ask for in the instructions.

So that takes out option 1 and 2. Option 3 I don't even know what windows partition and all that mean. And again I don't know what this 'start screen' is and where the desktop icon on that is. Option 5 I tried and it didn't help and for option 4 I only have to the Windows Defender running no anti virus or anything.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

01RedDX
03-22-2016, 04:22 PM

killramos
03-22-2016, 04:24 PM
Have you tried downloading the updates again.

When I updated my surface it took about 8 rounds to get them all to install. As if it was only doing one at a time even though it said it didn't.

After that it has been very stable.

shakalaka
03-22-2016, 04:25 PM
Went to do that and I already have a folder by that name in Windows. Nothing is inside it.

rage2
03-22-2016, 04:50 PM
Random question, this is a surface 3 and not surface 3 pro right? Also, when you restarted from scratch, did it come up with clean windows 10 or did it come with Windows 8 then upgrade to 10?

Edit - guess my first question is irrelevant as 3's ran full Windows. The 2nd part is because I noticed weird issues when upgrading to 10 on my SP2. I had to redo it and ensured I chose the clean install option instead of upgrade when going to Windows 10.

shakalaka
03-22-2016, 04:53 PM
It's a Surface 3 not the pro. It came with Windows 10 the guy told me and when I restarted it from scratch, Windows 10 was installed. I did have to run several updates after and they appeared to be just later versions of Windows 10 as well.

Pretty annoying actually. Just reminds me why I ran away from Windows in the first place towards Mac 8 years or so ago. Started it later and having these stupid issues already.

shakalaka
03-22-2016, 06:11 PM
Okay guys, so I guess my hunch was right. Apparently it must have been something to do with the open public wifi. I got home and connected to my own wifi and everything works great and it downloads apps without issues. So problem solved!

Do you guys recommend any cool/fun/must have apps or games?

Are there any good alternatives to Microsoft office programs? Mainly just word as the files get saved under the doc format. I am just thinking if I can avoid paying the $150 it'll be good. I tried a torrent but downloading that started throwing whole bunch of warnings with windows defender so I deleted the file and stopped the download.

Kavy
03-22-2016, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Okay guys, so I guess my hunch was right. Apparently it must have been something to do with the open public wifi. I got home and connected to my own wifi and everything works great and it downloads apps without issues. So problem solved!

Do you guys recommend any cool/fun/must have apps or games?

Are there any good alternatives to Microsoft office programs? Mainly just word as the files get saved under the doc format. I am just thinking if I can avoid paying the $150 it'll be good. I tried a torrent but downloading that started throwing whole bunch of warnings with windows defender so I deleted the file and stopped the download.

Office 365 is dirt cheap now, I bought 3 yearlies for 39.99 each so I am pretty sure you can find the same type of deal out and about.

shakalaka
03-22-2016, 08:52 PM
I rather pay the one time fees to have it for good instead of renewing yearly and from what I can tell one time is $150.

rage2
03-22-2016, 09:13 PM
Or use google docs for free. Can export as doc file. I haven't used word in ages.

ZenOps
03-22-2016, 10:09 PM
Windows 10 Wordpad works fine for me.

Type it in Cortana for a quick find.

shakalaka
03-22-2016, 10:23 PM
I ended up torrenting a file which is the professional version which I didn't really need but whatever. Just takes extra space I guess. Wordpad is good but it saves as rtf format I believe. I should move to google docs but I don't like the idea of my stuff online for some reason lol.