PDA

View Full Version : Godzilla Gets a Facelift

rage2
03-23-2016, 09:27 AM
http://www.beyond.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/2017-nissan-gtr-nyias-1-550x310.jpg

http://www.beyond.ca/godzilla-gets-a-facelift/55799.html

BavarianBeast
03-23-2016, 09:38 AM
I like the subtle changes, but seriously... It's about time for a major refresh on the GTR.. :zzz:

Skyline_Addict
03-23-2016, 09:40 AM
Front bumper is a little funky, but love the new changes especially the rear bumper which seems to be based on the Nismo and how the front fenders meet the front bumper with a subtle "wide-body" look. Probably the last year before the R36 I'm hearing? I just love the car, but might be a bit biased :)

NoPulp
03-23-2016, 09:48 AM
Godzilla, lizard or dinosaur?
So another 5 years of this production to make it worth while? Going to be a 15 year old car...

bjstare
03-23-2016, 09:49 AM
I really like the facelift, but dear god. Why are companies still painting cars that burnt orange color?:barf:

Edit: and no, that's in no way a commentary on NoPulps color of orange haha

Skyline_Addict
03-23-2016, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by NoPulp
Godzilla, lizard or dinosaur?
So another 5 years of this production? Going to be a 15 year old car...

The buzz on the GT-R forums is that Nissan's goal is to release an R36 for the 2017 MY. Even if this gets delayed, I don't see the GT-R pulling a Gen-1 NSX and going 15 years of subtle/no updates. By all accounts, the GT-R has actually been improved in some moderate/major fashion each year so in a sense, has been refreshed very often. It's not like most cars where a refresh is what you will see for the next 4-5 years.

NoPulp
03-23-2016, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by cjblair
Edit: and no, that's in no way a commentary on NoPulps color of orange haha

:rofl:

So a new car is right around the corner?
Seems expensive to do a face lift for such a short amount of time, no?

n1zm0
03-23-2016, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
It's not like most cars where a refresh is what you will see for the next 4-5 years.

Too bad that trend didn't continue. The GTR itself and its other high end sports car versions of the Skyline from the KPGC10 to the BNR34 averaged a new model about every 5 years back to back for 30+ years.

You could say that the R35 belongs to the V35/V36 Skyline(Infiniti G) era, but since they've released the new V37 models (Infiniti Q50), it's only right that we get an R37 GTR right?

I think the face lift is ok, but really I just want them to revive the Silvia model line :(

Skyline_Addict
03-23-2016, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by NoPulp

:rofl:

So a new car is right around the corner?
Seems expensive to do a face lift for such a short amount of time, no?

Yes, R36 is already in the buzz.

As mentioned before, Nissan has done refreshes, face-lifts, whatever you want to call them pretty much every year on the R35 chassis. Because of its current racing pedigree, the car is under constant development and isn't something the engineers meet every 4 years to discuss what can be done to improve the car. I do not think that another 20 hp bump, suspension adjustments, and new bumpers and some interior pieces deviate from this. For example, I think there have been 4 different front bumpers since 2009. The power is now up to 565 hp from 485 hp in 2009 and the transmission is much beefier.

Originally posted by n1zm0

Too bad that trend didn't continue. The GTR itself and its other high end sports car versions of the Skyline from the KPGC10 to the BNR34 averaged a new model about every 5 years back to back for 30+ years.

You could say that the R35 belongs to the V35/V36 Skyline(Infiniti G) era, but since they've released the new V37 models (Infiniti Q50), it's only right that we get an R37 GTR right?

I think the face lift is ok, but really I just want them to revive the Silvia model line :(

Yes, but the GT-R is in its own ecosystem and in a way is separate from the rest of the Nissan line. It is a flagship car and is much less pressured to the constraints of the mass produced business line.