PDA

View Full Version : Washing your car at home

13E71DUDE
03-23-2016, 02:56 PM
Guys, moved here few weeks ago from Vancouver. I'm trying to understand the law behind washing your car at home in your driveway which I used to do all the time in Vancouver. Some people say it's not allowed here and I can get ticketed and then some say it is legal. What is the truth ? Any help will be appreciated.

captain134
03-23-2016, 03:02 PM
I believe it is bylaw that you cannot wash your car on your own property or at least can not introduce anything except rain water into the storm drains (this includes biodegradable soap). Will you get in shit for doing it? Depends on your neighbors and how cranky they are.

13E71DUDE
03-23-2016, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by captain134
I believe it is bylaw that you cannot wash your car on your own property or at least can not introduce anything except rain water into the storm drains (this includes biodegradable soap). Will you get in shit for doing it? Depends on your neighbors and how cranky they are.

That is the exact answer I keep getting from everybody, I guess this summer I will wash it ones to findout how cranky the neighbors are lol

captain134
03-23-2016, 03:05 PM
http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/ABS/Pages/Bylaws-by-topic/Drainage.aspx

botox
03-23-2016, 03:13 PM
With soap = illegal
No soap = legal
"Overly dirty" is also illegal even with no soap.
Chances of getting caught? Probably pretty low depending how nice your neighbors are and if they renewed their green peace memberships or not.

More info from the COC site specifically to washing your car in residential areas
http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/ABS/Pages/Frequently-asked-questions/Sewers-drainage.aspx

Bylaws related to residential car washing

Can I wash my car on the street?

Under theDrainage Bylaw 37M2005, you may use only water to clean your car. If you are washing your car on the street, you must not use any kind of soap or any product other than water, and your car must not be overly dirty.

Since the Drainage Bylaw states that only water may enter the storm sewers, we strongly suggest using a carwash to wash vehicles.

What is the fine for washing my car with soap on the street?

The specified fine for violating this section of the bylaw is $500 for a first offence.

Can I use biodegradable soap to wash my car on the street?

No. All soaps and detergents are prohibited substances under the Drainage Bylaw. Only plain water can be used to wash vehicles.

13E71DUDE
03-23-2016, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the information guys, I guess I will be washing my car with no soap unless I can find a soap that does not bubble up lol

R!zz0
03-23-2016, 03:16 PM
According to the city, you can wash your car if you have gravel on your driveway, but not on the concrete or grass. :nut:

nobb
03-23-2016, 03:19 PM
I dont know if this actually gets enforced unless you have NIMBY neighbors. Basically anyone buying car soap from Canadian Tire are conspiring to commit an illegal act.

13E71DUDE
03-23-2016, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by nobb
I dont know if this actually gets enforced unless you have NIMBY neighbors. Basically anyone buying car soap from Canadian Tire are conspiring to commit an illegal act.

I wonder if there are people lurking in the aisles waiting to catch those who buy car wash soap at CT :dunno:

Boat
03-23-2016, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0
According to the city, you can wash your car if you have gravel on your driveway, but not on the concrete or grass. :nut:

Does this mean I couldn't park my motorcycle on the grass and wash with a bio-degradable soap?

schocker
03-23-2016, 03:44 PM
I have seen people report this on 311, even with just water so I worry some what. I wash mine by hand though on my driveway, it is big enough that none of the soap goes near the street and it works OK.

R!zz0
03-23-2016, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Boat

Does this mean I couldn't park my motorcycle on the grass and wash with a bio-degradable soap?

Right.

rx7boi
03-23-2016, 04:49 PM
I just use water to give the car a quick rinse.

If I really wanted it clean, I'd take it to a car wash with a couple buckets.

Basically anyone buying car soap from Canadian Tire are conspiring to commit an illegal act.

There are some washes around the city that allow BYOS bucket washing. I think the one in Harvest Hills NW allows it.

rx7_turbo2
03-23-2016, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by botox
With soap = illegal
No soap = legal
"Overly dirty" is also illegal even with no soap.
Chances of getting caught? Probably pretty low depending how nice your neighbors are and if they renewed their green peace memberships or not.

More info from the COC site specifically to washing your car in residential areas
http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/ABS/Pages/Frequently-asked-questions/Sewers-drainage.aspx

Bylaws related to residential car washing

Can I wash my car on the street?

Under theDrainage Bylaw 37M2005, you may use only water to clean your car. If you are washing your car on the street, you must not use any kind of soap or any product other than water, and your car must not be overly dirty.

Since the Drainage Bylaw states that only water may enter the storm sewers, we strongly suggest using a carwash to wash vehicles.

What is the fine for washing my car with soap on the street?

The specified fine for violating this section of the bylaw is $500 for a first offence.

Can I use biodegradable soap to wash my car on the street?

No. All soaps and detergents are prohibited substances under the Drainage Bylaw. Only plain water can be used to wash vehicles.

The FAQ on this issue seems purposely deceiving? It says I may use only water to clean my car. Then proceeds to specifically list the things I can't do on the street but never mentions those specific situations for my driveway.

Just to add more grey area, I had a neighbor call bylaw because I was washing my car on the street using soap. Bylaw officer drove up beside me, rolled his window down, advised me of the complaint and said that washing my car with detergent on the street was illegal. He then continued to advise me that if I moved my car to the driveway there's nothing he could do "Wink, wink and a smirk". I still wash my car with soap on my driveway from time to time, haven't had any issues.

Maxx Mazda
03-23-2016, 06:05 PM
I used to have my asshole NIMBY neighbor in Coventry report me all the time because he hated how loud my gas pressure washer was. Finally bylaw came by and told me that the bylaw I was violating was letting soap down the storm sewer. Solution? I bought a couple sandbags and stacked them around the storm drain whenever I washed my cars (about every other day.) Next time the bylaw guy came around, he actually applauded my ingenuity and said as long as I continued to do that, nothing he could do.

Pain in the ass? Yes. But having shiny cars all the time is well worth it! Plus it builds muscle haha

P.S. Suck it next door neighbor. You always were an asshole! :whocares:

nobb
03-23-2016, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
Solution? I bought a couple sandbags and stacked them around the storm drain whenever I washed my cars (about every other day.)

So where does the soapy water go?

speedog
03-23-2016, 08:42 PM
Maybe they're not washing their vehicles in Calgary. Just because something may be illegal to use in Calgary doesn't necessarily mean that it's illegal in let's say Airdrie or Irricana.

speedog
03-23-2016, 08:45 PM

Down to the next storm drain, out of sight, out of mind.

MR2-3SGTE
03-23-2016, 08:49 PM
Wow I did not even know this was a law. Always wondered why the self washes are always so packed up. Is calgary the only city that does this? I've never heard of any such law in other cities

speedog
03-23-2016, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by MR2-3SGTE
Wow I did not even know this was a law. Always wondered why the self washes are always so packed up. Is calgary the only city that does this? I've never heard of any such law in other cities
Edmonton, Lethbridge, Airdrie all have similar bylaws on the books and probably as most other municipalities.

Maxx Mazda
03-23-2016, 10:11 PM

It dammed up by the sandbags and dried within a few hours. Then, I'd remove the bags and nobody is the wiser. I honestly didn't care anyways, the soap I use is biodegradable. I just tried to do the bare minimum so as to appease the bylaw officers and my asshole neighbor. For that matter, I'm pretty sure bylaw stopped listening to him anyways after he called on an almost daily basis. One day he tried to give me shit for mowing my lawn at 10:30am on a Saturday saying it was "too early he had to work night shift" hucking bags at the airport at 55 years old...

blairtruck
03-24-2016, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by speedog

Edmonton, Lethbridge, Airdrie all have similar bylaws on the books and probably as most other municipalities.
i have never heard of this bylaw for Edmonton. Have a link?
i have been washing my vehicles at home for like 15 years. never a peep from anyone.
i live on the end of the block and the soap goes all the way down the lane like 20 houses before hitting the drain.

speedog
03-24-2016, 06:22 AM
Apparently you can wash your vehicle on your driveway or on the street and with soap as well in Edmonton.

Hallowed_point
03-24-2016, 07:27 AM
It dammed up by the sandbags and dried within a few hours. Then, I'd remove the bags and nobody is the wiser. I honestly didn't care anyways, the soap I use is biodegradable. I just tried to do the bare minimum so as to appease the bylaw officers and my asshole neighbor. For that matter, I'm pretty sure bylaw stopped listening to him anyways after he called on an almost daily basis. One day he tried to give me shit for mowing my lawn at 10:30am on a Saturday saying it was "too early he had to work night shift" hucking bags at the airport at 55 years old... Lol..your neighbor sounds like a massive douche. I'd do it really early in the morning or late at night when no one's the wiser. Unless he spies on you with night vision goggles.

Maxx Mazda
03-24-2016, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
Lol..your neighbor sounds like a massive douche. I'd do it really early in the morning or late at night when no one's the wiser. Unless he spies on you with night vision goggles.

He was. And quite the temper too. I tried to talk to him on a number of occasions calmly to see if we could reach some sort of compromise but nope. He had lived on that block for ages and it was his block, his rules. I was just the "new guy".

Hallowed_point
03-24-2016, 10:24 AM
He was. And quite the temper too. I tried to talk to him on a number of occasions calmly to see if we could reach some sort of compromise but nope. He had lived on that block for ages and it was his block, his rules. I was just the "new guy".

You were the young trouble maker with the noisy car. Some people are just miserable no matter what you do. If I was a baggage boy @ 55 I don't think I'd be too happy in life.

R!zz0
03-24-2016, 12:28 PM

So your job is to make his life a fucking hell until he gets tired of you. He'll end up moving and you'll be the next "new kid on the block" with your rules ;)

Maxx Mazda
03-24-2016, 12:48 PM
Apparently, he's confrontational with everyone he meets. Heard a story that when he was going to work one day, he was selected for additional screening by the employee security at YYC. Because he had been working at the airport so long, he felt he should be exempt from being screened by a "paki security guard" so he punched the guy. They ended up confiscating his ID, and since without it he couldn't get to work, got even more upset and kicked and screamed until the police showed up. Unable to work without his pass, he was suspended by his employer for 30 days without pay until he qualified to get it back.

J.M.
03-24-2016, 01:29 PM
Apparently, he's confrontational with everyone he meets. Heard a story that when he was going to work one day, he was selected for additional screening by the employee security at YYC. Because he had been working at the airport so long, he felt he should be exempt from being screened by a "paki security guard" so he punched the guy. They ended up confiscating his ID, and since without it he couldn't get to work, got even more upset and kicked and screamed until the police showed up. Unable to work without his pass, he was suspended by his employer for 30 days without pay until he qualified to get it back.

He punched a guy and still works there? :nut:

Waldi
03-24-2016, 01:33 PM
As it happens, water may not be treated and also, may in some cases, run directly into the river upstream of actual drinking water treatment plan, so as harmless it may be, once you have a lot of people doing it .. it will impact the water you and your family is drinking...

ExtraSlow
03-24-2016, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Waldi
As it happens, water may not be treated and also, may in some cases, run directly into the river upstream of actual drinking water treatment plan, so as harmless it may be, once you have a lot of people doing it .. it will impact the water you and your family is drinking... There is no "may not" about it, stormwater is NOT treated in Calgary, and runs directly into the rivers.

GenerationX
03-24-2016, 04:11 PM
Optimum No Rinse doesn't bubble up haha, and it doesn't take a lot of water to handwash and that's what I've been using.

blairtruck
03-24-2016, 04:39 PM
i not sure what i would do if i couldn't use my foam cannon. so much soap everywhere.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/image64.jpg
not my pic^^

2Legit2Quit
03-24-2016, 07:25 PM
I just use the 2 bucket method, one bucket for soap, the second for rinse and towel dry after.

Maxx Mazda
03-24-2016, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by 2Legit2Quit
I just use the 2 bucket method, one bucket for soap, the second for rinse and towel dry after.

Are you saying you don't even use a garden hose? Might as well just wash it with some sandpaper... :thumbsdow

Sugarphreak
03-24-2016, 09:23 PM

2Legit2Quit
03-24-2016, 11:27 PM
^ yep exactly.

Inzane
03-25-2016, 01:14 AM
It dammed up by the sandbags and dried within a few hours. Then, I'd remove the bags and nobody is the wiser. I honestly didn't care anyways, the soap I use is biodegradable.

Until the next rainfall when it gets washed down the drain.

Biodegradable doesn't mean it's ok to dump in the river. Better do some googling on that.

rx7_turbo2
03-25-2016, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Inzane
Until the next rainfall when it gets washed down the drain.

Biodegradable doesn't mean it's ok to dump in the river. Better do some googling on that.

You mean the next rainfall that takes massive amounts of salt, oil, grease and countless other contaminants down the drain? But we're worried about the tablespoon of biodegradable soup I use to wash my car :dunno: The only people in my neighbourhood that I've see wash their car on their driveway is myself and the guy 3 doors up with a 458. I just don't see this being a wide spread issue that requires a blanket ban.

Maxx Mazda
03-25-2016, 09:26 AM
^^^ My thoughts exactly. There is so much other shit on the street that gets washed down to the river, my non-toxic biodegradable soap (which I'm pretty sure you could drink, it smells like grapes!) isn't going to do anything.

VTEXTC
03-25-2016, 09:35 AM
Not to mention, there are only truly, only about 12 weeks a year in Calgary where it is actually practicable to wash your car outside on your driveway....

JaffX
03-25-2016, 01:09 PM
Which location(s) allow you to do bucket washing for like an hour? I've been wanting to get into car detailing but not being able to wash at home makes things difficult.

revelations
03-25-2016, 01:30 PM

Exactly what were going through. Great older area (Deer Ridge) but 10% of the neighbours in the area are as mentioned (this is the way its been for YEARS).

Mentally or emotionally challenged enough to avoid dealing with.

HiSpec
03-25-2016, 01:51 PM
You guys should try the 2 buckets ONR method. Works quite well for cars that are little dusty/dirty.

Originally posted by 2Legit2Quit

Are you saying you don't even use a garden hose? Might as well just wash it with some sandpaper... :thumbsdow

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
^^ I squish out the water, then wash a small patch, then wash out any dirt in the bucket and repeat. Not really any risk of dragging dirt over your car by doing it that way.

I do the same actually, I find it gets the car much cleaner than just using a hose/sprayer.

Buster
03-25-2016, 03:46 PM
The new house has a garage drain and hot/cold plumbing into the garage. What's the best way to add an in-garage wash bay?

SportEL
03-25-2016, 04:01 PM
Optimum No Rinse in a Bucket with Grit Guard and using a Microfibre Wash Mitt or Ultima Waterless Wash with a plush Microfiber towel. Both methods work great for me.

revelations
03-25-2016, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by SportEL
Optimum No Rinse in a Bucket with Grit Guard and using a Microfibre Wash Mitt or Ultima Waterless Wash with a plush Microfiber towel. Both methods work great for me.

Great tip, thx.

Maxx Mazda
03-25-2016, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec
You guys should try the 2 buckets ONR method. Works quite well for cars that are little dusty/dirty.

I detailed cars professionally for years. You simply can NOT do a proper wash without a pressure washer at minimum for the initial rinse, and a bucket and soap to remove the dirt. Two buckets ideally, but one bucket is just to rinse the wash mitt to keep the soap bucket clean.

How do you get anything off the undercarriage with a bucket full of water? Like those people who have filthy wheels and just tire shine the shit out of their brown tires.

relyt92
03-25-2016, 05:58 PM
+1 on ONR. If it's actually dirty I'll go spend a couple dollars at the coin op wash to get most of the filth/grime off, then use ONR in the driveway to make it nice and clean.

Cooked Rice
03-25-2016, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by relyt92
+1 on ONR. If it's actually dirty I'll go spend a couple dollars at the coin op wash to get most of the filth/grime off, then use ONR in the driveway to make it nice and clean.

Yep, this is how I do it. I have had very bad experiences with the hardness of the water that comes out of the tap in recent years. Last year I finally dumped the traditional wash method for ONR.

$2 at the wand wash to blast off anything loose. Pull out to a drying stall. 4L jug of distilled water($2 at walmart in the health section) into a bucket + ONR and it's done in no time. I can wash in the sun, not worry about soap drying on the car, and it's quicker than a traditional hand wash. I get away with 1 bucket and no grit gaurd by using multiple wash mitts, so a dirty mitt doesn't go back into the bucket. Right before washing I toss them all into the ONR solution, once I wash a panel or two with it, ring it out put dirty mitt aside, dry panel, then grab another fresh mitt full of solution and start on the next section. Repeat.

When I did a traditional wash I would pressure blast the loose debris, then used the 2 bucket wash method plus a foam cannon. I would spray foam into the wash mitt has I ran it over the paint in the other hand to avoid scratches/swirls.

HiSpec
03-26-2016, 12:06 AM

I detailed cars professionally for years. You simply can NOT do a proper wash without a pressure washer at minimum for the initial rinse, and a bucket and soap to remove the dirt. Two buckets ideally, but one bucket is just to rinse the wash mitt to keep the soap bucket clean.

How do you get anything off the undercarriage with a bucket full of water? Like those people who have filthy wheels and just tire shine the shit out of their brown tires.

Hence I said 'little dusty/dirty'... not brake dust caked wheels or weeks worth of filth on the paint.

Also, without jacking up the car, it'll be pretty difficult to actually clean the undercarriage. But good for you if you are one of the unique individuals that puts their car on jacks and foam/degrease their undercarriage every time you wash your car.

However, I do agree with you that a proper wash method requires 2 buckets, 2 mitts and water hose.

asd913
03-26-2016, 12:54 PM
I wish I had known about Optimum No Rinse before. I lived with a dirty car for years because nothing drives me more nuts than waiting 45 minutes for a terrible wash from a touchless car wash.

Here a video of the method that everyone raves about (called the Garry Dean method). Just use ONR instead of Garry Dean's detail juice. I bought some Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax and will be using this method to clean my cars weekly.

-kY_S-fkgrE

asd913
03-26-2016, 01:01 PM
BTW, Carzilla sells ONRWW for $27 for 32oz. I'd estimate that will wash about 64 cars using the Garry Dean method. It makes me sick to think of how many $8-12 car washes I've paid for when a ONRWW only costs $0.42/wash plus running your towels though the washer.

sneek
03-26-2016, 02:51 PM
ONR is the best that we can do with bylaws, but I still hate it. I am extremely careful but I am certain that I have inflicted scratches here and there. You are working with so much less lubricity when you don't have running water. I spend $3-$5 at the coin wash first and then slowly wash it with ONR too.

Cooked Rice
03-26-2016, 03:29 PM
ONR bottle cap sizes for measuring:

8oz size cap holds .25 oz or 7.5 ml
32oz size cap holds .5 oz or 15 ml
128oz size cap holds .5 oz or 15 ml

Add 20% more to adjust for hard water (aka Calgary tap)

I find ONR provides great lubricity when properly proportioned with water and works well as clay lube too.