PDA

View Full Version : what car to buy??

aboveandbeyond
09-30-2002, 05:09 PM
ok i went looking for cars today and I narrowed it down to 2 cars...either the sunfire or the cavalier....i dotn have alot of cash so these are about my range.....the guy at chevy dealership came up with a price of 13,246 for the most basic model....the guy at the pontiac dealership came up with 12,300 for the basic model with a cd player,floormats, and mudflaps......now they areideally the same car but i dont know which one to go for....what do you guys think???

Stratus_Power
09-30-2002, 05:17 PM
ahh run !! dont post here!! haha not alot of domestic friend here.. especially the slow one.. so go before u get flame or if u want to listen to ppl to tell u go buy a beat up civic and drop a few grand to make it run 16 sec :P haha just kidding
what about the Ford focus? thats a pretty nice car too? but if it has to be cav or sunfire i would probably go w/ Cav..

finboy
09-30-2002, 05:28 PM
:confused:
why would you want either?

Impreza
09-30-2002, 05:28 PM
if i were u... neither..... i'd take public transit...haha..jk...
but seriously, juss save up a little more and buy a nicer car...like a teg or a civic

aboveandbeyond
09-30-2002, 05:29 PM
ok for those who dont know much about either.....they have the same engine,shocks,everything down to the same tires.....just a different shell and ithink the sunfire weighs like 200lbs less..not exactly sure on the weight though

aboveandbeyond
09-30-2002, 05:31 PM
ok i HAVE to get a car...just got a new job and i absolutly need it....i know that i could buy a used one or something but i like the idea of having a warrenty and crap like that...all i am asking if you HAD to pick between the two and those were the prices which one would you take??

max_boost
09-30-2002, 05:33 PM
Hey dude, I would go for the cavalier:thumbsup:
But its almost pointless to post here because everyone else will just tell you to buy a better car. I see nothing wrong with a sunfire/cavalier, a cheap reliable commuter that is brand new with warranty. Your not planning to have the nicest or fastest car so some people just don't understand that.

driz6
09-30-2002, 05:46 PM
I have a buddy who is selling his 99 Cavalier pm me if you want details

mr.boost
09-30-2002, 05:51 PM
is your buddy with the 99 cavlier named gavin????

HRD2PLZ
09-30-2002, 05:57 PM
If you do end up buying a Sunfire/Cavalier I would suggest you lease it. 4 of my friends have had Sunfires/Cavaliers and 1 still does. All of them have had nothing but problems so make sure its under warranty. In the end, its your call because its your money and your car. Good Luck:thumbsup:

oh yeah- the newest one that my friends had was a 2000, so I don't know if the new ones are any better.

Blue Devil
09-30-2002, 06:02 PM
Go with the cavalier!

max_boost
09-30-2002, 06:02 PM
HRD2PLZ:
That is a great idea actually! GM cars are prone to falling apart (low end cars) after a few years. My buddy had a 99 Z24 and he was dying to get rid of it! LOL

Anyway, low lease rates, zero down, why not lease?:thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
09-30-2002, 06:15 PM
Ok dude, GET A USED CAR. Go test drive a Cavalier. Then go test drive a 96 Integra. Both run for about the same price.

One of them is faster, looks nicer, handles better, will outlast the other, feels more solid, and won't break apart for no reason. Can you guess which car I'm talking about?

For 13 grand you could get tons of way nicer used cars than a new Cavalier. And besides, if you ever end up with a Cavalier, you might get banned from here. :nut:

Stratus_Power
09-30-2002, 06:17 PM
told ya . hahahha

max_boost
09-30-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
told ya . hahahha :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

There seems to be a hatred towards American cars on this site:D

HRD2PLZ
09-30-2002, 06:24 PM
Yeah, 3 of them had 99's. A 99 base Cavalier, a 99 Cavalier Z24 and one of them still has her 99 Sunfire GT. The 2 Cavs were leased. One of them sat on the driveway for 6 months because Kristen decided to get an 02 RSX Type S :drool:

aboveandbeyond
09-30-2002, 06:28 PM
ok i really dont care if you guys like the car i am going to buy.....i know i could buy alot faster cars for alot cheaper but its not to race with...well a little maybe...but i need cheap insurance and cheap on gas thats why i am looking at these cars....and for everyones info i am looking at leasing....i guess i will just have to hang my head in shame when i come to a meet with my pos american made pile of scrap...:dunno:

HRD2PLZ
09-30-2002, 06:32 PM
Don't worry- Davan will be hanging his head in shame too :rofl: :rofl:

Oh yeah- of your set on a Cavalier or Sunfire. Get the Cavalier. The interior on the Sunfires is way to wild...I think its fugly. The Cavalier looks a little more conservative and is more appealing to the eyes (if thats possible :rofl: ). Same with the exterior. I think the Cav's have a *nicer* exterior design than the Sunfire.
Plus- for some reason, I always thought of the Sunfire as more of a girls car over the Cavalier :dunno:

RiceCake
09-30-2002, 06:43 PM
Heh, for a cheap commuter, I can't remember if echo's fall into that price range...

But yeah, Go check some reviews on the cavalier and sunfire, from personal experience, I still dislike american cars because most the ones that have been in the family are prone to fall apart... :thumbsdow

mwmhong
09-30-2002, 08:23 PM
Choose your poison. :angel:

I know a few people who had/have Cav's and they hate the $#it out of these cars, they're absolute garbage. I don't know about sunfires, if it were me, I'd pick the sunfire just based on looks, though they are the same J-body.

On a positive note, if it's new it comes with some form of a warranty and it's.......new. Domestic econoboxes don't age very well though, so if you're not committed to owning the vehcile long term you should be fine. :)

LaughingTiger
09-30-2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by aboveandbeyond
ok i went looking for cars today and I narrowed it down to 2 cars...either the sunfire or the cavalier....i dotn have alot of cash so these are about my range.....the guy at chevy dealership came up with a price of 13,246 for the most basic model....the guy at the pontiac dealership came up with 12,300 for the basic model with a cd player,floormats, and mudflaps......now they areideally the same car but i dont know which one to go for....what do you guys think???

WHY??? Is it the commercials?? You have 13k and you want
to get a sunfire or a caviler.........WHY???? :dunno:

Why don't you get a nice used import, it will hold it's value longer, faster(some), better looking, gets more girls... That's my opinion anyway... don't mean to offend. :p

2000impreza
09-30-2002, 08:31 PM
i say go for the cavalier, the new sunfire doesn't look that great. either way, insurance is pretty cheap and it is fairly reliable. i had a few friends drive these cars and never had a problem. all very high mileage drivers...

as for getting a used import go look into the insurance rates.... haha.

LaughingTiger
09-30-2002, 08:31 PM
ok i really dont care if you guys like the car i am going to buy.....i know i could buy alot faster cars for alot cheaper but its not to race with...well a little maybe...but i need cheap insurance and cheap on gas thats why i am looking at these cars....and for everyones info i am looking at leasing....i guess i will just have to hang my head in shame when i come to a meet with my pos american made pile of scrap...:dunno:

Dude.... the insurance will be the same on another car, you can
finance threw a bank, and you don't need to hold your head in
shame. Why buy a car you will regret?

You don't think imports are cheap on gas?:rofl:

2000impreza
09-30-2002, 08:34 PM
he has his mind set on a sunfire or cavalier..... if you are pretty young insurance will be more for a import.

LaughingTiger
09-30-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
he has his mind set on a sunfire or cavalier..... if you are pretty young insurance will be more for a import.

If your young you get raped with insurance!!

In other provinces it is government regulated, so they can't
charge you so much on ins. I guess it's because we are
a rich province they don't care?:madred:

finboy
09-30-2002, 10:19 PM
look for an 02, the 03's are fugly, cav's and sunfires.

there is nothing wrong with american cars, just the new cheap base model ones.

damn, imagine what i could do with 13 grand...:angel:

Redlyne_mr2
09-30-2002, 10:25 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by aboveandbeyond
HAD to pick between the two and those were the prices which one would you take?? [/QUOTE
...the bus...i hope its at least an 02 cav or sf, the 03's are the sittiest ugliest lookign cars I have ever seend:thumbsdow

three.eighteen.
09-30-2002, 10:51 PM
i would buy a used import, theres plenty that can be bought with 13g, but actually about the new 03 J-bodies, i think the sunfire looks better than the cavs, every time i see the 03 cavs, especially the white ones i see the seal in finboy's sig:rofl:

Stratus_Power
09-30-2002, 10:55 PM
wtf r u ppl talking about.. there is no shame in driving a cavs or a sunfire.. hell there is no shame at driving any car wat so ever! if he wants to get cav or sunfire.. then let him get one and make an opinion on those 2....

Beastly Power
10-01-2002, 12:17 AM
Cav all the way man those sunfires look sick :barf:

lammer
10-01-2002, 12:20 AM
i say the cav dude!! man domestics rule specially GMC vans! haha shit yeah!

finboy
10-01-2002, 12:34 AM
remember 2002 ONLY.

the new ones look like a tiburon and a saturn.

finboy
10-01-2002, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
i would buy a used import, theres plenty that can be bought with 13g, but actually about the new 03 J-bodies, i think the sunfire looks better than the cavs, every time i see the 03 cavs, especially the white ones i see the seal in finboy's sig:rofl: :bigpimp:

GTS Jeff
10-01-2002, 01:01 AM
a used accord or camry would be better than a cavalier. the insurance is about the same, and u get a better car.

Mikaldor
10-01-2002, 08:07 AM
either the sunfire or the cavalier....i dotn have alot of cash so these are about my range.....the guy at chevy dealership came up with a price of 13,246 for the most basic model....the guy at the pontiac dealership came up with 12,300 for the basic model with a cd player,floormats, and mudflaps......now they areideally the same car but i dont know which one to go for....what do you guys think???

I'd go with the Cavalier if those were my choices. But beat him down on the price. The dealers are the ones who want your business bad, so make them work for it.

My gf had a Z24 that was pretty decent. Didn't have the same get up and go that I like, but it was her car. We never had any maintanence problems or rust issues with it and it was a '98. :thumbsup:

PS: If you do broaden your search, I'm selling a mint 96 Jetta that's in your price range. (Shameless plug!!!)

boi-alien
10-02-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
wtf r u ppl talking about.. there is no shame in driving a cavs or a sunfire.. hell there is no shame at driving any car wat so ever! if he wants to get cav or sunfire.. then let him get one and make an opinion on those 2....

:werd:
on that note, i'd like to add, he's buying the car himself! with his own money. there is no shame in that. doesn't matter if it's a cav/sunfire/neon/teg/civic.... he should be proud of the fact that he's buying the car himself. and he's chosen those 2 cars mainly cause he wants new, and he likes the idea of having warranty on the car.

i say pick whatever car that suits you, if money's an issue and they're both exaclty the same car then go for the cheaper one. but it all comes down to personal preference if you ask me. which one do YOU like more, cause at the end of the day you'll be the one driving the car, not any of us on here.

aboveandbeyond
10-03-2002, 10:04 AM
thanks crxboi and stratus_power.....thosewere the type of coments i was looking for...thanks to everyone else for your input too.....i decided to go with a sunfire.....the guy had one in the back and i got him down from 12,300 to 11,750 with gst, frieght,tiretax and all that crap.....so i think and hope i got a sweet deal.....and it is a 2002 i think thats why i got such a deal....the2003 DO look like crap imo....but that you all for the input.....now i just need helpon wht to do to itto make it faster:D :D :burnout:

MrX
10-03-2002, 10:22 AM
Congrats on the new car dude. That's a hell of a deal for 11750..jeez sometimes I wish I had warrantee for my ride:(

As for making the car faster, I think sunfire engine responds well to headers/exhaust mods. You could put an intake on her as well, but it'll be more sound than performance. Otherwise, I don't think there will be much you can do cos you'll start running into problems with warrantee.

A good place to find more info would be MOPAC. There's also a Cav/sunfire group in Calgary as well..so maybe you can join them and source out some more info for your ride.

Redlyne_mr2
10-03-2002, 10:24 AM
now you need to spend 4 or 5 g's and get yourself a turbo or supercharger kit...
its only the gt's that respond well to bolt ons...on a normal sunfire you will hardly get any gains

kevie88
10-03-2002, 11:25 AM
OMG dude, take the 12 large and get a REAL car.. I hate those frickin piles of junk ( I had 2)...

qwesterra
10-03-2002, 11:39 AM
If those cars are in that price range, use that money as a front for a finance plan for a better car! Like setup monthly installments, and use the 13 grand or what ever to give you like a years worth of payments, then just pick up where you left off. My parents said they were going to give me 16g's for a car. So I figured it out, I could get a 2003 Jetta 1.8T, with some nice packages, and the 16g's would give me about 4 years worth of payments, then when im out of University I can pick up where they left off! Its a great Idea and it extends your limit tonnes! The most important thing is to get soemthing that will last, and research on what you want. The jetta is a definite good chioce! Good power, good luxury, its not american, and ITS GERMAN!