PDA

View Full Version : stupid question: Buying a car, can I drive it home without a plate?

asp integra
03-27-2016, 09:41 PM
Stupid question I know, I'm buying a new car (private sale) and logistics are a little funny. Is it legal to drive a new vehicle home without a plate?

spikerS
03-27-2016, 09:48 PM
no. only way to drive legally on the street with no plate is with an in transit permit.

firebane
03-27-2016, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by spikerS
no. only way to drive legally on the street with no plate is with an in transit permit.

Isn't there something about using your old plate for a week or something?

dirtsniffer
03-27-2016, 09:54 PM
Yep use old plate. Make sure you have insurance and bill of sale. You'll have a week to register it.

Edit. 2 weeks.

s2k_boi
03-27-2016, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by firebane

Isn't there something about using your old plate for a week or something?

You will still need insurance for your new vehicle. In addition, your technically supposed to have "sold" your old vehicle to use the plate on the new car.

RealJimmyJames
03-27-2016, 10:19 PM
The fine for no plate or improper plate is pretty small, and it's commonly done so most cops won't write a ticket for it.

but do make sure to have valid insurance, that's a big one.

BokCh0y
03-27-2016, 10:28 PM
Spikers is right, you need an in-transit permit to do this "right".

Get insurance on the car, and go get an in-transit permit from the registry.

I bought a car from BC. Got my insurance on it, had to get an in-transit permit in order to drive the car back. As soon as i got it back, I had to get it inspected and then I could get it registered with a new or used plate.

I guess in your case, the easiest way to avoid the bs is to get insurance on it and pick up the in-transit permit and drive it home. I don't know the details of your purchase, but it sounds like you don't have or a plate or a plate that's ready for the car? Get the permit then.

btimbit
03-27-2016, 11:52 PM
I've always wondered, how much does an in transit permit cost? I've always just used a different plate (That's still current, mind you) but always made sure insurance is set up first.

4WARNED
03-28-2016, 06:42 AM
IF it's within Alberta, you can put a current plate (from your current car) on the newly purchased private sale car. As long as you have the insurance and bill of sale on hand, you have two weeks to transfer that plate to your new ride (or get a new plate on it).

Just did this with our new Jeep.

But if it's coming from out of province, you'll need an in-transit plate (paper). Last one I bought was only $30 (for in transit papers).

Masked Bandit
03-28-2016, 07:19 AM
In province purchase or out of province purchase makes no difference. You can slap a plate from one of your other vehicles on the new one assuming you permanently transfer that plate to the new vehicle within 14 days. Of course if you're not actually stopped on the way home, who will ever know?

On the insurance side there is a 14 day "newly acquired auto" clause that will allow your existing insurance to extend to the new vehicle assuming a few conditions are met. It's best to review your specific situation with your broker because it can be a bit tricky with the variables so your arrangement may be different than someone else's.

Completely unrelated asp, you're connected to Alberta Boot, right? If so, please PM me as I have a couple of questions. If I've got the wrong member, my apologies for the mix up.

XylathaneGTR
03-28-2016, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by btimbit
I've always wondered, how much does an in transit permit cost? I've always just used a different plate (That's still current, mind you) but always made sure insurance is set up first.

When I last used one in 2010 the cost was pretty marginal...around $20-25 I think.

HiTempguy1
03-28-2016, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
The fine for no plate or improper plate is pretty small

Pretty sure they can impound your car without it though. I have a tough time believing they would just continue to let you drive.

Source: my plate was stolen from the airport when I went to New York in 2011. I called the police (non-emergency hotline) and asked what I can do? Lady said drive illegally or wait until morning to get a new plate.

rage2
03-28-2016, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
When I last used one in 2010 the cost was pretty marginal...around $20-25 I think.
Yea, it's pretty cheap. I always go this route because the stupid use another plate rule is so vague. Plus it's pretty cool to drive around with no plate on, free parking and free speed camera tickets! haha

carson blocks
03-28-2016, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Yea, it's pretty cheap. I always go this route because the stupid use another plate rule is so vague. Plus it's pretty cool to drive around with no plate on, free parking and free speed camera tickets! haha

Hmmm.. In-transit stickers are cheaper than downtown parking. :devil:

phil98z24
03-28-2016, 09:47 PM

It's not vague, you have 14 days to transfer that plate to your new ride if you use that plate on said new ride, and can also provide a bill of sale for it to prove the amount of time you've been using it. That's it, that's all. You know that, c'mon! :whipped:

phil98z24
03-28-2016, 09:52 PM
The fine for no plate or improper plate is pretty small, and it's commonly done so most cops won't write a ticket for it.

but do make sure to have valid insurance, that's a big one.

$230 each for displaying unauthorized plate, operate unregistered motor vehicle, and permit unauthorized use of plate - and yes, it's heavily enforced. I'm not by any means a traffic kind of guy, and I almost always write those and depending on circumstances, will seize the plate and remove it from the road.

Not sure where you get the idea that's it's so common we leave it alone. We don't condone people doing that. :nut:

phil98z24
03-28-2016, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks

Hmmm.. In-transit stickers are cheaper than downtown parking. :devil:

...until your car is removed from the road, because in-transit stickers are meant for point a to point b for inspections and the like. Anywhere but going from point a to point b, and its operating an unregistered motor vehicle and it'll get yanked.

Just FYI. ;)

JohnnyHockey
03-28-2016, 11:10 PM
If you already carry car insurance, might vary from provider to provider, you can still drive the car home with your plate from your other car. ..my insurance gives me a time period to call in and add the car to my policy. ..I usually do it ASAP, within 24 hours, so I'm not sure what that time limit is.

RealJimmyJames
03-29-2016, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by JohnnyHockey
If you already carry car insurance, might vary from provider to provider, you can still drive the car home with your plate from your other car. ..my insurance gives me a time period to call in and add the car to my policy. ..I usually do it ASAP, within 24 hours, so I'm not sure what that time limit is. I always put the insurance on BEFORE I drive it home, and carry the temporary pink card with me.

Masked Bandit
03-29-2016, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by JohnnyHockey
If you already carry car insurance, might vary from provider to provider, you can still drive the car home with your plate from your other car. ..my insurance gives me a time period to call in and add the car to my policy. ..I usually do it ASAP, within 24 hours, so I'm not sure what that time limit is.

The rules don't vary from company to company because it's written directly into the SPF 1 (legal framework that all auto insurance policies are built on), but there are a few other conditions that must be met. The best bet is to call your broker ahead of time and explain the situation, they will advise accordingly.

schocker
03-29-2016, 08:35 AM

I did that too. Worked wonders on the toll roads around Chicago :rofl:

carson blocks
03-29-2016, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by phil98z24

$230 each for displaying unauthorized plate, operate unregistered motor vehicle, and permit unauthorized use of plate - and yes, it's heavily enforced. I'm not by any means a traffic kind of guy, and I almost always write those and depending on circumstances, will seize the plate and remove it from the road.

Not sure where you get the idea that's it's so common we leave it alone. We don't condone people doing that. :nut:

I got hit with this the other day on a parked vehicle. I put an expired plate from another vehicle on something I wanted to street park for a few days. It was wrong, and I'm guilty. That said, I got hit for 2 fines, one for displaying an expired plate, and one for improper use of a plate, each fine was $310 or $320 I believe, and so the total fine for my little indiscretion was $620-640, plus had the plate confiscated.
I'm going to fight it based solely on the fact that the 2 fines seem a little aggressive for the crime of stuffing an expired plate on a street parked vehicle. What would be a lesser offence to ask the crown to plead guilty to? I know I was in the wrong, but back in the day it was a $75 fine, not $640.

G-ZUS
03-29-2016, 11:39 AM

I got hit with this the other day on a parked vehicle. I put an expired plate from another vehicle on something I wanted to street park for a few days. It was wrong, and I'm guilty. That said, I got hit for 2 fines, one for displaying an expired plate, and one for improper use of a plate, each fine was $310 or $320 I believe, and so the total fine for my little indiscretion was $620-640, plus had the plate confiscated.
I'm going to fight it based solely on the fact that the 2 fines seem a little aggressive for the crime of stuffing an expired plate on a street parked vehicle. What would be a lesser offence to ask the crown to plead guilty to? I know I was in the wrong, but back in the day it was a $75 fine, not $640.

Ouch, one of your neighbours must hate you

phil98z24
03-29-2016, 04:38 PM

There isn't a lesser offence, unfortunately. You may get one gonged by the crown if you plead to the other one, but it's an absolute liability offence and the only proof they need is that the offence was committed and it was committed by you - so they hold all the power in this one, I'm sorry to say. :(

I'd ask for a late guilty plea to the original fine and ask for the other to be dropped and see what happens! Sorry I can't offer more than that.

carson blocks
03-29-2016, 06:38 PM

There isn't a lesser offence, unfortunately. You may get one gonged by the crown if you plead to the other one, but it's an absolute liability offence and the only proof they need is that the offence was committed and it was committed by you - so they hold all the power in this one, I'm sorry to say. :(

I'd ask for a late guilty plea to the original fine and ask for the other to be dropped and see what happens! Sorry I can't offer more than that.

Thanks, I appreciate the insight.

firebane
03-29-2016, 09:25 PM
So I took a look at the requirements for a in-transit permit and one of the requirements is valid insurance.

So I say I found a vehicle out of town and needed to transport it home... How would I get valid insurance? I realize I could throw my old plate onto the truck and run it illegally, but perhaps its this "insurance" requirement of which why people don't do a in-transit permit.

schocker
03-29-2016, 09:30 PM
So I took a look at the requirements for a in-transit permit and one of the requirements is valid insurance.

So I say I found a vehicle out of town and needed to transport it home... How would I get valid insurance? I realize I could throw my old plate onto the truck and run it illegally, but perhaps its this "insurance" requirement of which why people don't do a in-transit permit.
You only need a vin to setup insurance, get your temp slips and visit the registry.

firebane
03-29-2016, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by schocker

You only need a vin to setup insurance, get your temp slips and visit the registry.

Yes I know that.. But how does one GET insurance from VIN from your insurance broker? I haven't spoken to mine yet... But do insurance brokers allow after hour paperwork to be done?

Masked Bandit?

sneek
03-29-2016, 11:36 PM

Yes I know that.. But how does one GET insurance from VIN from your insurance broker? I haven't spoken to mine yet... But do insurance brokers allow after hour paperwork to be done?

Masked Bandit?

I don't know if I understand the question, but usually you give them the VIN number, and the will email or fax you temporary insurance that you can print out yourself. Your proper pink slips come in the mail sometime later.

btimbit
03-29-2016, 11:41 PM

Isn't it the same requirement for if you were going to drive it home without a pin transit permit? Get the VIN from vehicle, call Insurance/Broker with VIN, get temporary card within 10 minutes.

If the vehicle was out of town, get the seller to send you the VIN

firebane
03-30-2016, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by btimbit

Isn't it the same requirement for if you were going to drive it home without a pin transit permit? Get the VIN from vehicle, call Insurance/Broker with VIN, get temporary card within 10 minutes.

If the vehicle was out of town, get the seller to send you the VIN

I have actually emailed my insurance broker about this but I will see if I can word it differently.

You find a truck out of town and you get the VIN from owner. You get temporary insurance from your broker and go look at the vehicle ends up not being what you want.

You now have temporary insurance for that vehicle... Can you cancel that insurance without any fees? Can you put temporary insurance on a vehicle that may already have insurance on it?

I'll post back my brokers response when I get it.

rage2
03-30-2016, 07:44 AM
It's not vague, you have 14 days to transfer that plate to your new ride if you use that plate on said new ride, and can also provide a bill of sale for it to prove the amount of time you've been using it. That's it, that's all. You know that, c'mon! :whipped:
Sorry, vague isn't the word that I should've used. The whole plate transfer thing is kind of limited in scope for those that are trading in an old car for a new car. Unless I'm misunderstanding the rule and you're allowed to use an old unregistered plate on a new car for 14 days as well, which really doesn't make sense to me either.

I have actually emailed my insurance broker about this but I will see if I can word it differently.

You find a truck out of town and you get the VIN from owner. You get temporary insurance from your broker and go look at the vehicle ends up not being what you want.

You now have temporary insurance for that vehicle... Can you cancel that insurance without any fees? Can you put temporary insurance on a vehicle that may already have insurance on it?

TD let me do this before. I didn't get charged anything when I backed out of a purchase after seeing it in person.

G-ZUS
03-30-2016, 07:53 AM
Take plate off old car, have paperwork for plate, slap plate on new car and drive home. Call insurance within 14 days, get pink card and register :)

RealJimmyJames
03-30-2016, 09:20 AM
Yeah, if you don't need the insurance and you call the next day to cancel, I think most places will not charge you for the 24h of coverage.

btimbit
03-30-2016, 11:19 AM

Ah, OK I just didn't understand your question

firebane
03-30-2016, 11:55 AM
Yeah, if you don't need the insurance and you call the next day to cancel, I think most places will not charge you for the 24h of coverage.

My insurance broker said insurance companies HIGHLY frown on doing this.

He basically said if you chose to look at a vehicle after hours you are SOL till the next day unless you risk driving it home.

rage2
03-30-2016, 12:25 PM
My insurance broker said insurance companies HIGHLY frown on doing this.

He basically said if you chose to look at a vehicle after hours you are SOL till the next day unless you risk driving it home.
Time to switch brokers because that's stupid. Or lazy. Not sure which. When I shopped for US cars, I would be prepped with temporary insurance slips ready for 3 separate VINs that I was looking at. Once I finalized the deal I would call in and cancel out the ones I didn't buy without any issues. It's ridiculous to think that you have to buy a car during your insurance brokers working hours. :nut:

Masked Bandit
03-30-2016, 01:24 PM
With a full & proper understanding of the Newly Acquired Auto clause on an SPF #1, there's no need for a pink slip at all.

carson blocks
03-30-2016, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
With a full & proper understanding of the Newly Acquired Auto clause on an SPF #1, there's no need for a pink slip at all.

That said, trying to communicate that full and proper understanding of SPF1 to your registries agent and actually get an in-transit sticker will be an experience on par with teaching your dog to program in assembly language. Actually, my money is on the dog. The minute you confront a registries agent with something other than having a pink card and needing a plate or sticker, they tend to glaze over and start reciting all the ways they've learned to say 'no'.

firebane
03-30-2016, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Do you have a copy or reference to this somewhere?

carson blocks
03-30-2016, 02:49 PM

You have a copy. It's on your automobile insurance policy, under SPF1.

firebane
03-30-2016, 03:05 PM

You have a copy. It's on your automobile insurance policy, under SPF1.

LOL I've never looked or read that hahaha.

Masked Bandit
03-30-2016, 04:11 PM

http://www.finance.alberta.ca/publications/insurance/standard_automobile_policy_2013.pdf

Page 14, section 5(b).

There's a little more to it than that so I recommend reviewing with your broker first.

carson has it pinned down pretty good though. I'll take the action on the dog too.