PDA

View Full Version : Trading cars...what would you do?

03ozwhip
03-28-2016, 10:19 AM
So I've been toying with the idea of trading my 128i. I've had some offers and now I'm just trying to see if it's a worthwhile decision.

I got an offer for a modded, lifted, rebuilt motor Toyota 4 runner with very low km on rebuild and very little rust considering this type of vehicle.

He's basically offering the truck at 7500 which means without negotiations could get me 12.5k on top of the trade.

My idea is to sell the vehicle that I trade. I'm sure this would be an easy sell. Any thoughts?

G-ZUS
03-28-2016, 10:23 AM
Year and mileage of 4runner?

ExtraSlow
03-28-2016, 10:48 AM
Would you buy that truck for that price?

carson blocks
03-28-2016, 11:37 AM
IMO, if you're just going to be selling the trade, just sell your car cash. Every time I do a deal like that, especially for something older, I end up with someone elses money pit, and put a bunch of time and effort in just to break even. It would be different if you actually wanted the 4runner.

J.M.
03-28-2016, 11:39 AM
If you can get $12.5k on top of the trade I would do it haha

03ozwhip
03-28-2016, 02:26 PM
It's a 92 4 runner with 115k on it. I'm sure these are desirable considering the condition and the type of motor and shit, no? I'd rather sell the car but it's hard to sell a car like that without financing, you guys know how it is lol no one has 20k laying around to buy a 128i

pheoxs
03-28-2016, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
It's a 92 4 runner with 115k on it. I'm sure these are desirable considering the condition and the type of motor and shit, no? I'd rather sell the car but it's hard to sell a car like that without financing, you guys know how it is lol no one has 20k laying around to buy a 128i

If it was a stock 4runner I would. But it being modded & rebuilt will deter just as many people away as people trying to get finacing on your 128i, at least my opinion.

Ghettobaby
03-28-2016, 02:58 PM
Don't do it. That runner has been up for sale since October if I remember correctly. 3g tops for the 4runner.

I went through this with the same guy when I was thinking of getting rid of my car.

firebane
03-28-2016, 03:08 PM
The real story is the guy is tired of his project and wants to flog it off. He found you and you seem interested enough.

nobb
03-28-2016, 03:47 PM
I would only pay premium for a mint, stock 4Runner (or any Toyota truck). $7.5k is quite alot for a 2nd gen 4Runner. You can get a pretty good condition 3rd gen for that money. The 2nd gens usually have the 3.0L V6 which is slow and known for eating head gaskets.

All the modified ones I see on Kijiji are usually poorly done and likely flogged. Condition is more important than mileage on these trucks IMO.

03ozwhip
03-28-2016, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the advice boys.

JohnnyHockey
03-28-2016, 09:38 PM
So the deal is his 4runner worth 7500 + 12,500 on top?!? I would definitely do that deal if that's the case. I've seen your 128 for sale for awhile now and I haven't inquired about it because I honestly feel it's overpriced after looking up the value on CBB and vmr and knowing what the economy is like in Calgary right now, I know for a fact that even the dealers aren't offering close to what the wholesale value shows up as on vmr and CBB, but you seem set on getting around 20,000 for it and that's why I say you should take that deal!......that is, assuming that there isn't something seriously wrong with it as suggested by someone here already, but if it is truly worth 7500, take it!!!! Trust me, things in the higher end used car market are BBBADDDD in Calgary.

Its' 15,000 - 17,600 on vmr, 15,000 being their wholesale ballpark amount and I can tell you for fact that even the dealers in Calgary are offering people less than that wholesale value...I'm currently searching for another car used and I won't even inquire unless their asking price is close to the wholesale value I find on vmr and CBB.

That being said, you are selling an really niche vehicle, the people that want this car usually want the 135 and manual...buttt if you're patient enough, there ARE people that would want the 128 and auto and it's a great colour, so ya, there are people out there that will want exactly your car and pay a premium for it, so you could just keep being patient, I mean it is summer soon and these people will start coming out and looking....good luck!

Btw, don't know much about 4runners but Im pretty sure 7500 for a 91, even that low a km, is insane! Even with a healthy premium for a mint classic factored in...

03ozwhip
03-29-2016, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by JohnnyHockey

Its' 15,000 - 17,600 on vmr, 15,000 being their wholesale ballpark amount and I can tell you for fact that even the dealers in Calgary are offering people less than that wholesale value..

I can tell you for a fact that I've been offered 17k by bmw themselves, so my price isn't out to lunch. not only that, I don't need to get rid of it, maybe I'll drive it this summer and sell it next year, I don't know but it doesn't matter to me, it's just taking up space for the next car that I want, I can't get it until it's gone.

Anyways, I'm still deciding what to do about more trade offers, this one in particular was something I didn't know too much about.

JohnnyHockey
03-29-2016, 08:30 PM
Hmm 17 is pretty good then, is that just selling it straight to them, or is it a trade-in value? Sorry if I sounded rude, I didn't think you were out to lunch, just a bit over priced...if I didn't have a wedding to pay for I'd be a serious potential buyer...

Hallowed_point
03-30-2016, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by firebane
The real story is the guy is tired of his project and wants to flog it off. He found you and you seem interested enough.

:werd: I don't think you'd come out ahead with this deal.

03ozwhip
03-30-2016, 02:49 PM
Ya I'm done with the deal.