PDA

View Full Version : Any good place to buy sod ?

vkesava1
03-28-2016, 10:28 AM
Does anybody know a good place to buy sod in north calgary? Is it better to do it ourself or is it worth hiring a contractor to do the landscaping.?

ExtraSlow
03-28-2016, 10:47 AM
It's a lot of backbreaking labour, but it's not really complex. Although if you have a big area, you'll end up paying for delivery too.

BigDL
03-28-2016, 10:57 AM
I got mine delivered via Blue Grass, if I remember right I think you built in Nolan Hill. At least when I built I got a blue grass discount card for when you pick up your rain barrel.

95EG6P
03-28-2016, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by vkesava1
Does anybody know a good place to buy sod in north calgary? Is it better to do it ourself or is it worth hiring a contractor to do the landscaping.?

it does not look that hard i sen my neighbor do it just grab some loam and spread it out then get sod then roll it out. It looks ok to me from what i see. I got to do mine this year but i am going to put rocks instead of grass

schocker
03-28-2016, 10:59 AM
Easy to do yourself. Rent rototiller though to get rid of all the crap in the ground before you put down soil/sod.

BigDL
03-28-2016, 11:02 AM
Also buy a sod knife, that thing was the best investment when we did my yard. Made cutting the sod so easy and it doesn't cost that much either.

pheoxs
03-28-2016, 11:12 AM
Speaking of which, I need to re-sod a piece of my lawn, is it too early in the year?

BMDUBS
03-28-2016, 12:35 PM
Blue Grass so quality is hit and miss. I prefer Eagle Lake sod or Manderley.

never
03-28-2016, 01:15 PM
Chinook Sod Farms have always had good sod and are generally cheaper than the others. Plus their sod is grown in Aldersyde so it's pretty well suited for Calgary and area growing conditions.

Shane@GoldRush
03-28-2016, 09:08 PM
I have never had a problem with the sod from blue grass, we go through a lot of it every year. If you need a hook up, feel free to PM me (I can get you wholesale pricing on it).

theken
03-28-2016, 09:41 PM
I used manderlay. Tell them you work somewhere like burnco or Lafarge or a home builder and you get contractor rate. I rented a sod cutter and took up most of my yard and re laid it took most of the day but was pretty easy. Getting rid of the old dirt was a pain in the ass and expensive at the dump

HiTempguy1
03-28-2016, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by vkesava1

New or old house?

Laying down sod isn't hard, it's the prepwork that matters so you don't have a lumpy-ass yard.

avishal26
03-28-2016, 10:13 PM
Manderley is good - they have a drought resistant variety that you need to water less. I got good quality sod from them, it was moist (and heavy ... really heavy) and it took really well.

I got 3 pallets delivered at my last house (~2000 sq ft of grass) and it was just under $1000 with delivery and pallets deposit. Without delivery I think they are $0.42 / sq ft

In some areas, new home builders will lay down black soil on top of the clay that should be good enough. (although loam is always recommended)