PDA

View Full Version : Sound resistant windows or window treatments?

Mitsu3000gt
03-29-2016, 09:14 AM
Kind of an odd question, but I'm having trouble finding any good information. I'm helping a family member (lives near a major road) look into getting some noise reducing windows or window treatments (curtains, shutters, etc.), but nobody seems to know anything about this sort of thing. Even cold calling window shops in town, they don't seem to know much about these kinds of products.

For windows, I figure just a good 3-pane window is going to be fairly sound resistant but I have also seen special "sound proofed" windows (I think airports use something similar). I have found some curtains & shutters that apparently are also noise resistant, and would presumably be much cheaper than replacing windows, but finding out if they actually work has been difficult because nobody in town seems to know anything about either.

Anyone have a window or window treatment guy that might know something about this, or has anyone had any personal experience with something like this? TIA, I know it's kind of an unusual question.

lilmira
03-29-2016, 09:39 AM
Triple pane will definitely help. Keep in mind that you'll only be as sound proof as the rest of the house. If you need more than that, I think your house is at the wrong spot.

revelations
03-29-2016, 10:07 AM
You can add acoustic drywall as well but if the windows are 20+ years old even modern, double pane, inert gas windows do an excellent job (changed them out in our old house).

RealJimmyJames
03-29-2016, 10:15 AM
Exterior rolling shutters?

mr2mike
03-29-2016, 10:20 AM
Dense trees and shubbery can help reduce noise too.
But yes, if house is older, 2x4 vs 2x6 construction does make a difference.
I hate that I can hear every neighbour close their car door and don't get me started on the multiple door lock horn honk blips... frick. Disable that!! It's in the manual, all you need is light flash.

Mitsu3000gt
03-29-2016, 10:49 AM
It's a fairly new 2-storey duplex (I think 2009 or so), but I'm pretty sure the windows are not triple pane. It's specifically road noise they are trying to reduce. No room for big trees, and modifying the structure I think is more than they are willing to do. I think it's fairly well insulated already as far as the walls go. Bedroom windows are the target, and they are willing to replace them but if they can do shutters or something similar for cheaper, they would like to try that first.

Can you get sound proofed rolling shutters? The other thing is finding out if this stuff actually works, which is why we wanted to talk to someone who has experience installing them or someone who is using them currently. The last thing they want to do is spend a few grand or more and have no difference. I've even seen "sound proof" curtains, but nobody who can say if they actually work.

RealJimmyJames
03-29-2016, 01:37 PM
Different solutions will help more with different frequencies. The sound of a jacked up trucks mud tires vs a "loud pipes save lives" Harley vs a fart cannon on a civic all transmit very differently.

If it's just one wall, you could do some kind of additional insulation along that wall, either interior or exterior, along with just replacing the bedroom window. Hell, a second layer of drywall on that one wall with some acoustic caulking would make a big difference.

Look into the kind of solutions people use for home theatre rooms, that will give you some ideas.

revelations
03-29-2016, 01:48 PM
If you want to get serious, hire an acoustic engineer. 400$ assessment plus recommendations.

If you have a 5-10k budget for eg, this would take a lot of the guessing out as they are experts.