PDA

View Full Version : Negotiating Higher Salary After Offer?

KO22
03-29-2016, 03:34 PM
Has anybody done this before? Could you please provide me information on how to do this, how to bring it up... never have done it and would be great advice from others who have for current and future reference.

Instead of a long sentence I will just add notes:

- In O&G currently, position in Mining industry
- Job located in NWT (where everything is more I found, rent, food, everything)
- When asked salary expectation, I got nervous and said same as here (after all salary cuts I've taken, making very low compared to counterparts, even outside O&G)
- Expecting offer, don't know what to do or how to bring it up for discussion if the offer is what I am making here, I rather not move away from everybody again to make the same as I do now.
- Position considered a promotion in all aspects from my current role, more responsibilities etc.
- No family/kids or mortgage tieing me down.

Mitsu3000gt
03-29-2016, 03:48 PM
I'd just call them and bring it up. They are just people too, and most people understand if maybe you've rethought things a bit. Being direct and to the point is typically fine. Also if it's a deal breaker for either side, it's better for both parties to know sooner rather than later.

I always hate it when I get asked for salary expectations first, I like to see their offer first in case it's more than I would have asked for haha. It makes it more stressful when the ball is in your court for sure. In your case though I would just call them up, be honest, say you have something you would like to revisit, and discuss it.

It's definitely a 'buyers' market right now though, there may be people willing to work for less than you if you aren't specialized.

Xtrema
03-29-2016, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by KO22
- When asked salary expectation, I got nervous and said same as here (after all salary cuts I've taken, making very low compared to counterparts, even outside O&G)

That may be one of the driving factor of the offer, highest qualification, lowest bid. I think you should have given them a more realistic answer when asked. Asking afterwards after they give you the offer seem at a minimum that you don't even do enough research for the job.

Then I would say, how bad do you want this. May be just take it and hopefully there is opportunity for growth and future raises.

ee2k
03-29-2016, 04:06 PM
Reply back in writing (even after you call they'll expect you to counter in writing) and justify your new ask: cost of living, comparison to what you have today and how it'd make it worthwhile to make a move. Generally speaking, when you counter, like a home buying negotiation, the offer is now on the line, and they could withdraw. Not a bad thing, especially since you should be getting paid what you are worth.

tch7
03-29-2016, 05:51 PM
If you gave them a salary number, and they're meeting that number, I wouldn't go back and directly ask for more right away.

Assuming that the only thing you gave them a number for before was just base salary, then that still leaves you room to go back asking for better benefits, relocation assistance, living allowance, and other things of that nature that can make up for the salary shortcomings.