PDA

View Full Version : Unidentified Electrical

jwslam
03-30-2016, 08:06 AM
Anyone know what this is? Found in a condo laundry room near the electrical panel

danno
03-30-2016, 08:18 AM
Transformer, for furnace or door bell

RealJimmyJames
03-30-2016, 09:24 AM
a trap

sputnik
03-30-2016, 12:41 PM
Looks like a doorbell transformer to me.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-30-2016, 01:19 PM
Yeah in a condo it's gotta be a doorbell transformer. LV for thermostat would run from the central furnace, assumably.

jwslam
03-30-2016, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by danno
Transformer, for furnace or door bell
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Yeah in a condo it's gotta be a doorbell transformer. LV for thermostat would run from the central furnace, assumably.
Condo is baseboard heated so I don't think it's furnace. If it's doorbell, that explains why the doorbell doesn't work. But there's a doorbell-like box over the thermostat on another wall.... super confused.

suntan
03-30-2016, 01:58 PM
Probably more than meets the eye.

Thaco
03-30-2016, 02:26 PM
probably the old doorbell, instead of properly removing it they just put a new one in.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-30-2016, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

Condo is baseboard heated so I don't think it's furnace. If it's doorbell, that explains why the doorbell doesn't work. But there's a doorbell-like box over the thermostat on another wall.... super confused.

The doorbell transformer is a separate item from the doorbell chime (the box you described) and not usually in the same place. The transformer steps your 120V house power down to the ~12V the doorbell chime uses. That power feeds the chime and the doorbell switch completes the 12V circuit to activate the chime.

Take a multimeter, check voltage across the exposed terminals on the transformer. If it's ~12V, the transformer is fine and your problem lies elsewhere. If it's zero, the transformer needs replacing or is not receiving power. If it's 120V, you're testing the wrong pair of terminals.

Crazyjoker77
03-30-2016, 04:08 PM
**edit double post

Crazyjoker77
03-30-2016, 04:15 PM

The doorbell transformer is a separate item from the doorbell chime (the box you described) and not usually in the same place. The transformer steps your 120V house power down to the ~12V the doorbell chime uses. That power feeds the chime and the doorbell switch completes the 12V circuit to activate the chime.

Take a multimeter, check voltage across the exposed terminals on the transformer. If it's ~12V, the transformer is fine and your problem lies elsewhere. If it's zero, the transformer needs replacing or is not receiving power. If it's 120V, you're testing the wrong pair of terminals.

Its actually 24Vac and under 100VA for it to meet code for class 2(b) wiring.

Code 16-200(b)

BerserkerCatSplat
03-30-2016, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Crazyjoker77

Its actually 24Vac and under 100VA for it to meet code for class 2(b) wiring.

Code 16-200(b)

Sure, for new builds. OP's looks pretty old and is fairly likely to be a 12-16V system.

At any rate, testing a transformer is usually a go/no-go thing. Either it's putting out proper voltage or it's stone dead.

rx7_turbo2
03-31-2016, 10:11 AM
Nailed the install!

Likely doorbell transformer, as has been mentioned.

jwslam
03-31-2016, 11:05 AM
Sure, for new builds. OP's looks pretty old and is fairly likely to be a 12-16V system.
1980's building; most of it is reno'ed though, or looks like it.

Just recalled the doorbell is lit, so it's getting power, just not chiming.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-31-2016, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

1980's building; most of it is reno'ed though, or looks like it.

Just recalled the doorbell is lit, so it's getting power, just not chiming.

Try removing the doorbell button from the wall and touching the two wires together that are connected to it. If that rings the bell, you just have a faulty switch.

mr2mike
04-01-2016, 08:55 AM
It's probably for hidden cameras in all the suites.
Put a small TV with RCA cable's against the screws and you'll see.

:poosie:

Is it your building? Why are you messing with it if you're not?

jwslam
04-01-2016, 09:47 AM
Try removing the doorbell button from the wall and touching the two wires together that are connected to it. If that rings the bell, you just have a faulty switch.
Will try that when I get a chance. Thanks :thumbsup:

relyt92
04-01-2016, 07:01 PM

Try removing the doorbell button from the wall and touching the two wires together that are connected to it. If that rings the bell, you just have a faulty switch. Not trying to hijack the thread, but I can never find good results when I search for it. What's the general cause if a doorbell works but is really quiet? Doorbell is likely original from the late 80's.

Crazyjoker77
04-01-2016, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by relyt92
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I can never find good results when I search for it. What's the general cause if a doorbell works but is really quiet? Doorbell is likely original from the late 80's.

Plunger in the chime is likely gummed up or the chime popped out of one of the rubber grommets.

other less likely options:
- 24v chime being used on a 16v transformer.
- high resistance in the switch or wiring (poor connection or corrosion at a splice)

EK 2.0
04-02-2016, 08:25 AM
I think it is a doorbell transformer....