PDA

View Full Version : Dentists overcharging?

Manhattan
03-30-2016, 03:05 PM
Everytime I have a few fillings done I always end up paying for some of it out of pocket even though I have 100% coverage health insurance. I know Alberta dentists charge some of the highest rates in country but am I being overcharged for their services? I've been to 3 separate dentists in the last 2 years and it's happened each time.

G-ZUS
03-30-2016, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan
Everytime I have a few fillings done I always end up paying for some of it out of pocket even though I have 100% coverage health insurance. I know Alberta dentists charge some of the highest rates in country but am I being overcharged for their services? I've been to 3 separate dentists in the last 2 years and it's happened each time.

Dentists and Insurance companies have different fee guides

Say a dentist charges $120 for a cleaning, but the insurance companies fee guides only thinks $100 is fair enough for a cleaning they will only pay 100% of the $100, leaving you the $20 to the patient to pay.

Thaco
03-30-2016, 03:11 PM
dentists can charge whatever they want... your insurance company can cover whatever they want, obviously those 2 things aren't matching up.

lasimmon
03-30-2016, 03:16 PM
Yup, the insurance companies won't cover all the costs at a lot of dentist's in Calgary. Especially the ones downtown.

G-ZUS
03-30-2016, 03:19 PM
There are some dentists in town that go by the Alberta Blue Cross fee guide, they should be able to direct you

HomespunLobster
03-30-2016, 03:22 PM
Didn't know about the fee guide. I've never looked into rates of getting teeth done, or any procedures. Last procedure I needed would have been another $1100, I told the dentist I couldn't afford that even with my benefits right now. Called me a month later saying he'd do it for $900. What rate book is he going off of?

lasimmon
03-30-2016, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by HomespunLobster
Didn't know about the fee guide. I've never looked into rates of getting teeth done, or any procedures. Last procedure I needed would have been another $1100, I told the dentist I couldn't afford that even with my benefits right now. Called me a month later saying he'd do it for $900. What rate book is he going off of?

there is no rate book in Alberta. They can charge whatever they want.

Mitsu3000gt
03-30-2016, 03:29 PM
Mines always over but it's usually $10 or less so I don't care. Exact same thing with massages and other services.

Your 100% coverage covers 100% of what your health care provider has determined is the fair value for any given procedure, not 100% of what your dentist *can* charge.

bulaian
03-30-2016, 03:35 PM
Sometimes your "100% coverage" is based on rates from a few years back as well

roopi
03-30-2016, 03:38 PM
Here's a good read about fees:
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/pain-of-dental-fees-mounts-for-albertans

Sasuke_Kensai
03-30-2016, 04:03 PM
I think you pretty much have to find a dentist that charges less... either by recommendations from people who know or by trial and error.

The one I use does get covered by 2 plans. The one my wife uses isn't, about 10% of the fee seems to be left over. Her cousin's dentist sounds like it might cost around half of what her dentist costs.

max_boost
04-03-2016, 12:29 AM
The fees are expensive, any suggestions for a budget friendly dentist for new immigrants?

Heck is it worth it to drive to small towns? :dunno:

Dalking
04-03-2016, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
The fees are expensive, any suggestions for a budget friendly dentist for new immigrants?

Heck is it worth it to drive to small towns? :dunno: I'm planning on going to saskatchewan for my dentist overhaul lol

phreezee
04-03-2016, 08:20 AM
Short answer is YES. Go to a province with regulated pricing for major work.

msommers
04-04-2016, 05:28 PM
I've been thinking of getting the invisible braces...but fuck $5,500 for just one year is outrageous!

Minimalist
04-04-2016, 05:51 PM
One dentist is not the same as another. You can't judge by price alone. None of us would us the same logic with a mechanic, plumber or tile guy. You think the guy at the Lambo or Ferarri dealership is equal in skill to some wrencher at Canadian Tire?

Dentists are free to charge as they see fit, as do I. I pay for value, it might be a little more than another dentist in Moose Jaw but my dentist has some of the only training in Alberta and perhaps Canada. Also, the technology used is second to none in this city for sure.

Save money where you can, but cheaping out on your major orifice is short sighted.

blindsight
04-04-2016, 05:53 PM

max_boost
04-04-2016, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Minimalist
One dentist is not the same as another. You can't judge by price alone. None of us would us the same logic with a mechanic, plumber or tile guy. You think the guy at the Lambo or Ferarri dealership is equal in skill to some wrencher at Canadian Tire?

Dentists are free to charge as they see fit, as do I. I pay for value, it might be a little more than another dentist in Moose Jaw but my dentist has some of the only training in Alberta and perhaps Canada. Also, the technology used is second to none in this city for sure.

Save money where you can, but cheaping out on your major orifice is short sighted.

Everyone else in other cities must have sub par teeth then!

Minimalist
04-04-2016, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by blindsight
Fly to Yuma, walk across the border to Los Algodones...pay 20% of an Alberta dentist. Ask any retired person which dentist they use there.

Typo? You mean retarded, reight?

A790
04-04-2016, 06:30 PM
Typo? You mean retarded, reight?
No, he's reight: you have save a bundle by getting that kind of work done in Mexico.

Minimalist
04-04-2016, 06:33 PM

Everyone else in other cities must have sub par teeth then!

Why is my Calgary car dealer charging more than the dealer in Moose Jaw for the same maintenance package? The outrage! :dunno:

Calgary is an expensive city to operate in. Not everyone can live in a basement. :drama:

Cheap people piss me off, they want the world for a dime. Make more money seems to be the solution. :dunno:

max_boost
04-04-2016, 07:20 PM
Okay. How about the most affordable dentist in Calgary then? :D

HiTempguy1
04-04-2016, 07:26 PM

Why is my Calgary car dealer charging more than the dealer in Moose Jaw for the same maintenance package? The outrage! :dunno:

Calgary is an expensive city to operate in. Not everyone can live in a basement. :drama:

Cheap people piss me off, they want the world for a dime. Make more money seems to be the solution. :dunno:

:rofl: "I like spending more money than necessary on something because it makes me feel superior to others".

Uh huh. Tell us more of your life philosophy please, I am DYING to hear it :rofl:

max_boost
04-04-2016, 08:16 PM
I get his point. But a new immigrant making $12/hour isn't really gonna give a shit about having access to the BEST dental care lol they are gonna save money where they can.

Let's be realistic here, if a full dental checkup, x-rays, some cleaning is going to cost $700 (just throwing it out there give or take) but if he drives out to Strathmore and it's $450, guess what he's gonna do? Going to Mexico isn't an option lol:rofl:

J.M.
04-04-2016, 08:25 PM
I'd be going to Strathmore lol

heavyD
04-04-2016, 10:09 PM
It's pretty typical for Calgary dentists to charge in the range of $6+ over the suggested fees covered by insurance. I've moved around to a few different dentists and it's always been like this. A lot of people don't care about paying $10 out of pocket because they are just happy most of it is covered and the dentists make a lot of money nickel and diming everyone.

HiTempguy1
04-04-2016, 10:41 PM
about having access to the BEST dental care

An extremely subjective decision at best. Proper dental care is proper dental care.

Hallowed_point
04-05-2016, 07:25 AM
I wouldn't recommend an economy dentist. Teeth are pretty important. As long as the work matches the price, pay up :dunno:

lilmira
04-05-2016, 08:44 AM
http://www.greggirard.com/content/gallery/Walled_City010b.jpg
see that smile?

Hallowed_point
04-05-2016, 10:21 AM
Friggin Richmond special dentist :eek: Do you get a fortune cookie after the "cleaning" ? :rofl:

G-ZUS
04-05-2016, 10:58 AM
Okay. How about the most affordable dentist in Calgary then? :D

Dr. Hanif Asaria goes by the Blue Cross fee guide......but you have to tell them when booking

a social dsease
11-16-2017, 05:25 PM
BUMP

I'm looking for a new dentist. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations? Requirements:

- Must be downtown (ideally close to Bow Valley/Suncor area)
- Reasonable priced (per this thread)
- Friendly + gentle hygienist
- Direct billing to insurance
- Open late 1-2 days a week (not required, but would be nice)

Thanks!!

Seth1968
11-17-2017, 10:24 AM
http://www.greggirard.com/content/gallery/Walled_City010b.jpg
see that smile?

That dude isn't smiling:)

VWEvo
11-17-2017, 12:46 PM
BUMP

I'm looking for a new dentist. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations? Requirements:

- Must be downtown (ideally close to Bow Valley/Suncor area)
- Reasonable priced (per this thread)
- Friendly + gentle hygienist
- Direct billing to insurance
- Open late 1-2 days a week (not required, but would be nice)

Thanks!!

I know its not quite downtown, but close to downtown but meets all your other needs: 4thstreetdental.com