PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Spray Paint for Curb Rash

Charmander
04-01-2016, 12:18 PM
Just pulled a rookie move and smashed my rims into a concrete curb in a tight parking lot.

Was thinking this would be a good DIY project to fix myself, and save a couple hundred bucks. I've done some research and it seems that the German branded Wurst Lacquer with be the type of spray paint that will match my BMW wheels the most. Does anyone have any idea whether or not I can buy this locally? I tried getting it online but importing it into the country is near impossible because it is an aerosol can. Otherwise do you guys have any other suggestions as to what type of paint I should use and where I can get it?

These are 19'' standard silver alloy wheels that come on newer bmws. Thanks.

k1l4m
04-01-2016, 01:16 PM
Not local, but pretty close. http://autoobsessed.com/shop/wurth-german-alloy-silver-wheel-paint-bmw-silver-p-599.html

How deep is the curb rash? Don't mean to be discouraging but I would guess it would be pretty hard to match the perfect original finish with just a can of paint if it's pretty deep.

Maybe a good idea to try it out yourself and if it doesn't work out you could try someone like quiksilver wheel repair if you want it looking as close to original as possible.

realazy
04-01-2016, 02:08 PM
That's the worst feeling.

Clean it up and assess the damage again. Once you get the dirtiness off the curbed part, it will already looks better. You can then decide to try and knock it down a bit with some sand paper and then touch it up.

killramos
04-01-2016, 02:15 PM
The wheels themselves have a BMW paint code. You should be able to buy a paint pen online for them.

bjstare
04-01-2016, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by k1l4m
Not local, but pretty close. http://autoobsessed.com/shop/wurth-german-alloy-silver-wheel-paint-bmw-silver-p-599.html

How deep is the curb rash? Don't mean to be discouraging but I would guess it would be pretty hard to match the perfect original finish with just a can of paint if it's pretty deep.

Maybe a good idea to try it out yourself and if it doesn't work out you could try someone like quiksilver wheel repair if you want it looking as close to original as possible.

Might as well try it yourself. All the wheel repair guys do on painted wheels is fill them with bondo and paint over it. Not exactly rocket science.

JustinMCS
04-01-2016, 09:14 PM
I bought the wurst paint from autoobsessed and it is the exact match however fixing it yourself with a DIY and putty doesnt last and a wheel machine when mounting or unmounting tires gets destroyed in seconds. i tried. lol. just get it fixed properly, it's a new BMW not a ghetto old car

Thaco
04-01-2016, 09:29 PM
good excuse to buy some new summer wheels and save those for winter

Kloubek
04-01-2016, 09:29 PM
Depends what kind of machine they have. If they have the typical metal piece, yes - it generally damages the repair far more than it would do the original wheel. But some shops use a plastic piece, which is apparently not very durable but saves a lot of rims.

There is also no reason a repair shouldn't last. It's all about the prep.