PDA

View Full Version : Has your office/company laid people off? PART 5

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

schurchill39
04-02-2016, 07:15 PM
New thread for the bloodbath that I'm sure will be 2016 Q2/breakup.

My company has continuously been laying people off. Half a dozen here, half a dozen there. Including huge Q2 salary cuts and forced time off for Q2.

I found this (http://globalnews.ca/news/1889598/timeline-tracking-the-layoffs-in-albertas-oilpatch/) article interesting although I think it only captures some of the bigger O&G players.

finboy
04-02-2016, 07:54 PM
Laid off in November, job hunting/looking at going back to sait for business intelligence, fingers crossed as I'm on the wait list.

Sugarphreak
04-02-2016, 08:49 PM

Cos
04-03-2016, 08:18 AM

pheoxs
04-03-2016, 08:26 AM
I thought we were in the clear as we have a huge project were working on & everyone was pretty busy but then they let 2 more people go a couple weeks back. Not sure if it's their aim of gradually restructuring our office or what as they hired people for different roles shortly after. Probably more gradual layoffs to come (seems to be 2-5 people every other month)

Xtrema
04-03-2016, 10:17 AM
We have recovered a bit and started hiring but no where out of the woods. But our recovery is in expense of others being out of work and everyone we hired is 30-40% less than what they earned before (including guys we hired back from laid offs last year) so net economic benefit is probably negative.

Just nature of thing, in this market, you have to deliver more, better and for less to survive.

leftwing
04-03-2016, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Cos
Big reorganization and all the contractors cut. Huge deal for us and our industry as we're fairly stable and not really o&g affected. It seems to be coming from the weakening of the general economy.

Well electricity prices in AB are about 50% of what they were same time last year. Enmax had a big re-org as well.

Robnaldo
04-03-2016, 10:44 AM
No layoffs, none coming.
We had a strong 2015. 2016 will be weaker but will likely still see mild growth. (I don't work in O&G)

btimbit
04-03-2016, 02:16 PM
Yes and Yes

Executive board took pay cuts last year to try and delay any layoffs but shit hit the fan so far this year

killramos
04-03-2016, 03:55 PM
Still no and no

I personally think that will change. But they keep promising otherwise.

:dunno:

ExtraSlow
04-03-2016, 04:41 PM
I believe in you buddy, you can get that layoff you are hoping for!

J.M.
04-03-2016, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

:rofl:

killramos
04-03-2016, 06:31 PM

Fingers crossed!:rofl:

ExtraSlow
04-03-2016, 06:39 PM
It's weird, I know quite a few folks who are praying for a layoff right now. And only one of them is close to retirement.

bigbadboss101
04-03-2016, 07:04 PM
Lay offs and pay cuts happening at work. CEO took a 500k pay increase.

The_Penguin
04-03-2016, 10:07 PM
No layoffs, none anticipated. We have very few oil and gas clients, though some of our clients have o&g clients, and we may feel some pain soon enough.
In 2008 we did some mandatory days off over the summer, and some cost cuts (cancelled golf tournament and some other perks) and may see that again.
Beats layoffs in my opinion.

KO22
04-04-2016, 08:04 AM
No layoffs, no paycuts since a year ago, though contractors aren't getting extended.

My employment contract is ending the end of April but I knew that for quite some time so was able to secure a position although in a different province starting the week after I finish here.

spikerS
04-04-2016, 08:11 AM
I got a raise at work. 1.6%...

Normally I would flip desks over shit like that, but then I remember how many people have been laid off, and how many people have taken 25-40% pay cuts...and then I didn't mind so much.

Feruk
04-04-2016, 08:28 AM
Had one round. We're told no round 2, but I doubt that's true.

speedog
04-04-2016, 08:34 AM
Tough for all the in the O&G industries, glad I'm not but my new line of work from about a year ago sees its ups and downs, was extremely slow in January and February but now I'm juggling contract work with 3 different companies and have worked for 23 of the last 24 days with no end currently in sight. It was challenging at first because I as was new in the industry (kitchen cabinet installation/service) but now it's not difficult after learning tricks of the trade, time now to improve efficiency.

Cos
04-04-2016, 10:55 AM

austic
04-04-2016, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Robnaldo
No layoffs, none coming.
We had a strong 2015. 2016 will be weaker but will likely still see mild growth. (I don't work in O&G)

Pretty much same here but I work in an O&G related industry

birdman86
04-04-2016, 03:36 PM
Rumors going around that Sanjel sold their frac assets in Canada and the US

finboy
04-04-2016, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by birdman86

Interesting, any more details?

90_Shelby
04-04-2016, 03:48 PM

:werd: I was going to post this in the Recession Casualties thread.

Sounds like one of the smaller service companies just got bigger. (Canadian Coil and Frac Assets)

birdman86
04-04-2016, 04:12 PM
Confirmed:

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/step-energy-services-announces-strategic-transaction-574540221.html

and

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/sanjel-corporation-announces-strategic-transactions-574541411.html

finboy
04-04-2016, 05:23 PM
Confirmed:

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/step-energy-services-announces-strategic-transaction-574540221.html

and

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/sanjel-corporation-announces-strategic-transactions-574541411.html

Wow, bankruptcy finally got them, will have to reach out to my old coworkers there

ExtraSlow
04-04-2016, 05:58 PM
It was just a matter of time, but I'm surprised Sanjel went under before trican. Still, decent chance Trican will be gone within a month or two.

finboy
04-04-2016, 08:16 PM
It was just a matter of time, but I'm surprised Sanjel went under before trican. Still, decent chance Trican will be gone within a month or two.

They were beat up really bad when I was there, but could hide it as they weren't public. Some of the moves I saw there were shear desperation, bidding on work they had no chance of performng successfully on.

90_Shelby
04-04-2016, 08:44 PM

I'm curious why you think Trican will be gone in a month or two.

dirtsniffer
04-04-2016, 08:52 PM
15% staff cut at my shop tomorrow. Second round. Had a 15% reduction this time last year as well

HiTempguy1
04-04-2016, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
15% staff cut at my shop tomorrow. Second round. Had a 15% reduction this time last year as well

30% pay cut in one year? I don't know how much the guys at your shop made, but if they were earning anything less than $100k per year... I don't even know how I'd do that (theoretical $100k per year to $70k per year). That would be $80k to $56k :nut:

And a huge savings on the companies payroll budget.

dirtsniffer
04-04-2016, 09:21 PM
Reduction was in headcount. Probably a greater effect as it is generally mid senior level people getting let go.

Note to self. Make sure I'm specialized enough that young people can't prove to be more valuable based on them being cheaper.

ExtraSlow
04-04-2016, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by 90_Shelby

I'm curious why you think Trican will be gone in a month or two. heard it on beyond.ca, which is my main source or news and accurate rumours.

:devil:

colinxx235
04-05-2016, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

30% pay cut in one year? I don't know how much the guys at your shop made, but if they were earning anything less than $100k per year... I don't even know how I'd do that (theoretical $100k per year to $70k per year). That would be $80k to $56k :nut:

27.75% pay cut! ;)

Brutal either way. In the end just be happy it wasn't a pink slip...

R154
04-05-2016, 08:30 AM
I heard something interesting yesterday. A vendor (manufacturing) I work with used to have >60% of their yearly (total) sales with Trican. Since 9 months ago they have had sales of ~$2600 to Trican. The vendor is likely filing for bankrupt shortly.

Just rumors.

Surprisingly sized vendor at that.

CompletelyNumb
04-05-2016, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I'm not sure what you do for work, but cuts like that are the norm in most O&G companies, especially service companies... many field workers got cuts over 50%.

pheoxs
04-05-2016, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb

I'm not sure what you do for work, but cuts like that are the norm in most O&G companies, especially service companies... many field workers got cuts over 50%.

I know a bunch of people that get every friday off unpaid now. Basically 20% pay cut and compress their work into a 4 day work week. Better than just a straight pay cut I guess, but still a huge hit to the budget

Perfect Dark
04-05-2016, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by pheoxs

I know a bunch of people that get every friday off unpaid now. Basically 20% pay cut and compress their work into a 4 day work week. Better than just a straight pay cut I guess, but still a huge hit to the budget

We were just told to start taking one unpaid day per pay period off. It sucks but could definitely be worse...for me it just means I get to make every other weekend a long one!

speedog
04-05-2016, 09:25 AM
TELUS did this unpaid day off thing some 20 years ago, called it a work leave day or something like that. Sucks but was better than being laid off and worst of all, once you adjusted and got used to the long weekend every other end, it was difficult to go back to regular hours.

s_havinga
04-05-2016, 09:28 AM
I sure hope that with all these manufacturing/ fabrication shops closing out some more of the work gets directed my way. We are down to bare bones now but we had a great year last year so we have cash in the bank to make it about another year if the owner chooses to.

We've only had one job of any significance this year so it's definitely slow. I could see some hour cut backs coming but we are at the point that its either we all get laid off and shut down the shop or we all stay.

speedog
04-05-2016, 09:37 AM
So I'm left wondering what all these laid off people are doing - I know there's been several 1000 over the past 18 months that have lost their jobs just out of the handful of welding/fabrication shops along Shepard Road and it's not like there's been a lot of job vacancies elsewhere to absorb these numbers. Are people moving away or are they just hunkering down and living off of whatever they can for now be it part time jobs or whatever?

Sugarphreak
04-05-2016, 09:48 AM

dandia89
04-05-2016, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by speedog
So I'm left wondering what all these laid off people are doing - I know there's been several 1000 over the past 18 months that have lost their jobs just out of the handful of welding/fabrication shops along Shepard Road and it's not like there's been a lot of job vacancies elsewhere to absorb these numbers. Are people moving away or are they just hunkering down and living off of whatever they can for now be it part time jobs or whatever?

most people i know who got laid off with me, either moved away or still looking for work. lot of them are stubborn and are trying to find that 'perfect' job.

Cos
04-05-2016, 09:53 AM

rx7_turbo2
04-05-2016, 09:58 AM

Living off savings and EI, maybe the spouse is still working. The real blood bath will start when people's EI runs out and their savings dwindles.

I'm at a crossroads myself. Decided to go back to school to expand on my previous career. I'll be finishing up the 2 year program in a month or so, I could not have timed this any worse lol. There's nothing in town, nothing is maybe an exaggeration but what little there is has massive competition. Guys with 10+ years of experience willing to work for next to nothing. I'm willing to work for next to nothing but lack the specific experience in that quantity. Going back to what I was doing isn't an option. My wife has a good job and we've put ourselves in a position that with some reasonable adjustments to our lifestyle we could ride this out for a significant amount of time.

How long is to long to ride it out though? If I think it's gonna be this rough in a years time and have to work a couple of shitty part time jobs to fill my days, what's the point? I'm seriously considering bailing out to BC, Sask, or Ontario. I've got my wife looking for jobs in BC and I'm doing the same. If we get any interest we'll take a few weeks off and head out there, see if we can't land something. I just don't see much of a future here anymore.

nickyh
04-05-2016, 10:07 AM
My company has a few interesting comp savings initiatives:

1) You can opt out of up to 75% of your income, and receive share units in exchange, the more you opt out of - the more matching bonus you get from the company.

Great if you don't need a day to day paycheque but I only see a handful of folks doing this, presumably only at the exec level.

2) you can apply for unpaid time off, but you need supervisor approval. So if you want to take 3 extra weeks summer vacation, you can do it but obviously unpaid, and can't impact your department in a negative way.

holden
04-05-2016, 10:17 AM
The last 3 months of 2015 saw the first quarter of negative interprovincial migration for Alberta since late 2009. My guess is that will continue for Q1 of 2016.

Xtrema
04-05-2016, 10:23 AM
Tough for all the in the O&G industries, glad I'm not but my new line of work from about a year ago sees its ups and downs, was extremely slow in January and February but now I'm juggling contract work with 3 different companies and have worked for 23 of the last 24 days with no end currently in sight. It was challenging at first because I as was new in the industry (kitchen cabinet installation/service) but now it's not difficult after learning tricks of the trade, time now to improve efficiency.

My kitchen is being reno'ed right now. The crew seems very busy with weeks of work lined up.

Wonder if real estate prices tanked and people decided to reno instead of new homes.

Or new home that needed reno a la Buster's new dig.

roopi
04-05-2016, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by nickyh

1) You can opt out of up to 75% of your income, and receive share units in exchange, the more you opt out of - the more matching bonus you get from the company.

Public company?

bjstare
04-05-2016, 10:26 AM

Can basically live off my wife's salary right now, so I'd be exploiting the shit out of that. :bigpimp:

sabad66
04-05-2016, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

Living off savings and EI, maybe the spouse is still working. The real blood bath will start when people's EI runs out and their savings dwindles.

I'm at a crossroads myself. Decided to go back to school to expand on my previous career. I'll be finishing up the 2 year program in a month or so, I could not have timed this any worse lol. There's nothing in town, nothing is maybe an exaggeration but what little there is has massive competition. Guys with 10+ years of experience willing to work for next to nothing. I'm willing to work for next to nothing but lack the specific experience in that quantity. Going back to what I was doing isn't an option. My wife has a good job and we've put ourselves in a position that with some reasonable adjustments to our lifestyle we could ride this out for a significant amount of time.

How long is to long to ride it out though? If I think it's gonna be this rough in a years time and have to work a couple of shitty part time jobs to fill my days, what's the point? I'm seriously considering bailing out to BC, Sask, or Ontario. I've got my wife looking for jobs in BC and I'm doing the same. If we get any interest we'll take a few weeks off and head out there, see if we can't land something. I just don't see much of a future here anymore.
which 2 year program?

spikerS
04-05-2016, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by holden
The last 3 months of 2015 saw the first quarter of negative interprovincial migration for Alberta since late 2009. My guess is that will continue for Q1 of 2016.

Can you provide your source? I would be interested in knowing the actual numbers.

rx7_turbo2
04-05-2016, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by sabad66

which 2 year program?

EET

CompletelyNumb
04-05-2016, 11:01 AM

I know hundreds of people laid off or out of work. For the majority, they are staying at home collecting EI. Selling what they can, cutting costs and downsizing as needed. For the ones that didn't qualify for EI (every consultant out there), and don't have a huge savings, they seem to be downsizing to that of a college student. I'm in that boat, sold everything I owned.

The ones that had a massive nest egg are fishing and having fun.

The ones looking for work can't find any. I know people that actually have applied to McDonalds, WalMart, Home Depot, etc. I don't know many people looking for "the perfect job", most I know are scared of being homeless, and are looking for anything. But with 100k out of work people to compete with, plus the non-oil people just generally looking for work, it's an uphill battle.

Some have lost everything are are living in a parents basement.

holden
04-05-2016, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by spikerS

Can you provide your source? I would be interested in knowing the actual numbers.

http://www.macleans.ca/economy/economicanalysis/alberta-bound-no-more/

RealJimmyJames
04-05-2016, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb

I know hundreds of people laid off or out of work. For the majority, they are staying at home collecting EI. Selling what they can, cutting costs and downsizing as needed. For the ones that didn't qualify for EI (every consultant out there), and don't have a huge savings, they seem to be downsizing to that of a college student. I'm in that boat, sold everything I owned.

The ones that had a massive nest egg are fishing and having fun.

The ones looking for work can't find any. I know people that actually have applied to McDonalds, WalMart, Home Depot, etc. I don't know many people looking for "the perfect job", most I know are scared of being homeless, and are looking for anything. But with 100k out of work people to compete with, plus the non-oil people just generally looking for work, it's an uphill battle.

Some have lost everything are are living in a parents basement. The ones who were consulting and living paycheque to paycheque without at least a little nest egg were honestly living pretty stupidly.

Not saying every consultant can have 12 months of income stashed away, but when you choose the consulting lifestyle, you accept the higher risk of $0 income, and you need to structure your lifestyle accordingly. Low debt, low ongoing expenses at the very minimum.

Anyway, folks have to make the tough choices in order to survive. Sell your cars, cut your cable, ride the bus and try not to loose your house.
Remember the days when every industrial park had lawn signs advertising warehouse and labourer jobs? Those days are so very over.

CompletelyNumb
04-05-2016, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
The ones who were consulting and living paycheque to paycheque without at least a little nest egg were honestly living pretty stupidly.

Not saying every consultant can have 12 months of income stashed away, but when you choose the consulting lifestyle, you accept the higher risk of $0 income, and you need to structure your lifestyle accordingly. Low debt, low ongoing expenses at the very minimum.

Anyway, folks have to make the tough choices in order to survive. Sell your cars, cut your cable, ride the bus and try not to loose your house.
Remember the days when every industrial park had lawn signs advertising warehouse and labourer jobs? Those days are so very over.

I completely agree. In my case, I spent a great deal of money at the end of 2014 on my wedding, expecting to make it back jan-mar of 2015 (I had the work allotted to me). Project was shut down end of Jan. So I was only able to survive about 6 months before trimming all the fat. Bad timing, bad planning, bit of both perhaps.

I remember years ago being able to get a class 3 driving job over break up for nearly $30/hour. These days I see the exact same jobs posted for half that. I can't even imagine how overwhelmed companies are with applications.

nickyh
04-05-2016, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by roopi

Public company?

Yup, but our stock has quite a bit of volatility to it so that's where the gamble is.

BavarianBeast
04-05-2016, 01:32 PM
SNC lavalamp?

nickyh
04-05-2016, 01:55 PM
No, oil services with midstream assets.

finboy
04-05-2016, 03:13 PM

On EI, applying for work and trying to get into sait's Business Intelligence program as I have been approved to enrol while still on EI. I got to third round of interviews with Shaw, but haven't heard much beyond that. Thankfully my girlfriend is in stable job, but if sait doesn't pan out and I don't find work by September we could be in for some interesting decisions. My savings were wiped out when I was laid off at the start of the downturn and was the sole source of income.

Such is life in calgary, at least I have my health :dunno:

nzwasp
04-05-2016, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by finboy

On EI, applying for work and trying to get into sait's Business Intelligence program as I have been approved to enrol while still on EI. I got to third round of interviews with Shaw, but haven't heard much beyond that. Thankfully my girlfriend is in stable job, but if sait doesn't pan out and I don't find work by September we could be in for some interesting decisions. My savings were wiped out when I was laid off at the start of the downturn and was the sole source of income.

Such is life in calgary, at least I have my health :dunno:

Was that for a permanent position @ shaw? I remember having to jump through that many hoops when I worked there, Im currently trying to get in there as a contractor. Hopefully its just one interview and then decision, hate it when companies dick around for months making you think you lost out.

SKR
04-05-2016, 05:44 PM

I would have done this in a second, if I had the opportunity. I don't think the share price is going to drop much more than where it's currently at. But maybe I'm still being optimistic.

finboy
04-05-2016, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp

Was that for a permanent position @ shaw? I remember having to jump through that many hoops when I worked there, Im currently trying to get in there as a contractor. Hopefully its just one interview and then decision, hate it when companies dick around for months making you think you lost out.

Demand management specialist, I thought making it to round three in this economy at least showed that My resume is at least worth something

finboy
04-07-2016, 09:57 AM
Just heard of more layoffs at month end for sanjel from an old coworker, head office staff due to the step buyout

killramos
04-07-2016, 10:32 AM
Calgary-based Sanjel breakup not a sign of things to come: expert

http://www.660news.com/2016/04/07/calgary-based-sanjel-breakup-not-a-sign-of-things-to-come-expert/

Wishful thinking...

The only reason this hasn't happened to more companies, particularly the producers, is noone wants the garbage "assets" that many of the banks are marketing.

If sub 50 WTI continues through the summer the banks will most definitely be accepting 50 cents on the dollar to walk away from underwater debt. They wont have a choice.

R154
04-07-2016, 10:34 AM
There's like 12 cars in the Sanjel lot (Building B). Everyone is already gone. :(

Building A is a pipe fitting operation already. They got rid of that one months back.

Trican's dev office is closed. No cars parked there. Lights off.

finboy
04-07-2016, 10:43 AM
I kind of wonder what is happening with the other Macdonald family companies (suretech, etc.)

90_Shelby
04-07-2016, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by finboy
I kind of wonder what is happening with the other Macdonald family companies (suretech, etc.)

They're still trying to sell Suretech.

Shane Hooker who will control the Sanjel cementing assets is married to Shauna MacDonald..... Interesting that "they're" keeping the cementing portion which is ultimately how Sanjel started.

lasimmon
04-07-2016, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by 90_Shelby

They're still trying to sell Suretech.

Shane Hooker who will control the Sanjel cementing assets is married to Shauna MacDonald..... Interesting that "they're" keeping the cementing portion which is ultimately how Sanjel started.

I have heard that before.

But all the news articles are stating the cementing is going to STEP.

chkolny541
04-07-2016, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by R154

Sorry, just wanted to clarify. Are you referring to tricans lab down south? (off deerfoot)

90_Shelby
04-07-2016, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon

I have heard that before.

But all the news articles are stating the cementing is going to STEP.

I heard rumors of this before the press releases and also found it here:

:dunno:

lasimmon
04-07-2016, 03:19 PM
Oh I misread what you had said.

Someone was trying to convince me that Sanjel was keeping the cementing assets. But its just Shane running it under STEP.

R154
04-08-2016, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by chkolny541

Sorry, just wanted to clarify. Are you referring to tricans lab down south? (off deerfoot)

Yes.

phreezee
04-08-2016, 11:19 AM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/jobs/canadas-jobs-market-surges-unemployment-rate-drops/article29564747/

"Canada Job Market Surges"? Tough to believe this liberal rag.

you&me
04-08-2016, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by phreezee
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/jobs/canadas-jobs-market-surges-unemployment-rate-drops/article29564747/

"Canada Job Market Surges"? Tough to believe this liberal rag.

BNN's been reporting all morning that Alberta lead Canada for job creation, adding 19,000 jobs out of 41,000 nation wide.

Good thing most of those Alberta jobs were created in the retail and service sectors... :banghead: I'm sure those jobs and pay compare favourably for all of those that were previously employed in O&G.

Sugarphreak
04-08-2016, 11:48 AM

you&me
04-08-2016, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Are these stats not just reflecting the fact that people are running out of EI?

As-in, EI runs out, so people finally pick up a McJob?

Sugarphreak
04-08-2016, 12:15 PM

Feruk
04-08-2016, 12:45 PM
You get removed from unemployed stats, but when you run out of EI it's not a "job add."

schurchill39
04-08-2016, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by chkolny541

Yes.

You are mistaken R154, that is their R&D lab and its still open and fully functional. They also have another lab down south a few blocks away off of 114th (I believe :confused:) for their tools division and that's also open and functioning. I know they have gone through staff reductions like everyone else has but none of their facilities in Calgary have been shut down.

EDIT: NCS is also located in the white building next to them and they are also still open and rocking.

R154
04-09-2016, 07:10 AM
That's odd. Even the guys at ITM told me that the Dev office was closed. They are in the same complex...

Must have been an odd day, where everyone was gone and the lights were off at 10am.

March 30th.

90_Shelby
04-09-2016, 08:37 AM
That's odd. Even the guys at ITM told me that the Dev office was closed. They are in the same complex...

Must have been an odd day, where everyone was gone and the lights were off at 10am.

March 30th.

I will assure you that schurchill39 is a valid source of info on whether or not the Trican lab is open or not.

R154
04-09-2016, 03:21 PM
I believe him. I acknowledged that I was wrong. I relayed the information I had.

Maxt
04-09-2016, 08:46 PM

March 30th.

http://www.jllproperty.ca/en-ca/calgary/industrial-property-for-sublease/for-sublease-4615-112-avenue-se/532349

This is dated april 4/2016
Bay X
http://www.altusinsite.com/index.php?page=update_space&action=view&spaceid=721115

http://www.altusinsite.com/files/filelib/spaces/799217/doc/1.pdf

R154
04-09-2016, 11:45 PM
So... It was the bay beside it and I'm only half crazy.

Xtrema
04-10-2016, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I think once your EI expires, you get removed from the unemployment stats... they just consider you a bum who is content doing nothing

I don't think so. It only stopped being counted when you stop looking.

But unemployment/employment % never shows quality of employment.

Maxt
04-10-2016, 09:41 AM
So... It was the bay beside it and I'm only half crazy.
Going by the PDF it looks like the whole lot is up for sublease.

schurchill39
04-10-2016, 02:06 PM
I believe him. I acknowledged that I was wrong. I relayed the information I had.

No worries my friend. Rumors are running so rampant around our industry that I'm sure every service company has been "closing their doors" at some point, or producers are "selling all their canadian assets", or "they will be tits up by the end of the week".

The latest is that Alta Gas went through a huge cut on Thursday but I haven't been able to get in contact with anyone I know over there to confirm.

R154
04-10-2016, 08:54 PM
Normally I vet my information pretty rigorously. I solemnly apologize to anyone who was mislead by my post.

nickyh
04-11-2016, 10:31 AM
Enerflex cleaned house again, my father in law was a casualty today.

16hypen3sp
04-11-2016, 10:09 PM
Rumour around Red Deer: Trican lowered their guaranteed monthly salary to $1000/month in order to make remaining staff quit.

Just what I heard thru the grapevine.

RealJimmyJames
04-12-2016, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
Rumour around Red Deer: Trican lowered their guaranteed monthly salary to $1000/month in order to make remaining staff quit.

Just what I heard thru the grapevine. If a person might not qualify for EI, that's actually a great deal compared to the $0 they are probably facing.

HiTempguy1
04-12-2016, 07:36 AM
Yea, it is a fantastic way to screw employees around so the company has available manpower and cuts costs to the bone.

A friend of mine hauls nitrogen up north, 30% paycut in the past 4 months :nut:

nzwasp
04-12-2016, 07:59 AM
Cenovus D Day is this morning. Atleast for my wife's department.

birdman86
04-12-2016, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
If a person might not qualify for EI, that's actually a great deal compared to the $0 they are probably facing.

I have it on a very good source that this is not too far off from why they did that.

They were originally planning on temporary layoffs which would leave these guys with 5 or 6 weeks of EI and 8 weeks off work. Instead they got 50% salary cuts for the 8 weeks and basically told to only come in to work when there's something to do.

Better to have some income than no income (which EI might as well be).

The_Rural_Juror
04-12-2016, 08:45 AM
One of my close friends just got laid off today. Is there an employment lawyer that you guys can recommend to look over the package to make sure that it's fair?

nickyh
04-12-2016, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by nzwasp
Cenovus D Day is this morning. Atleast for my wife's department.

Hopefully she makes it through the day unscathed.

Sugarphreak
04-12-2016, 09:11 AM