PDA

View Full Version : Cable TV vs Other source

yellowGTS
04-03-2016, 09:13 PM
I am looking to see how many Beyond members have dropped their connection to cable and moved on to a new source of entertainment. Whether it is Netflix, Android TV, Apple TV or something else.

What was the reason for the switch? Do you miss the opportunity to watch live TV? Have you been on the alternative for a while or a recent change.

Thank you....I am happy with the service I have, but I am looking to see if there is an opportunity for something better when I move into my new condo in May.

speedog
04-03-2016, 09:24 PM
I gots lots of white hair and the KISS scenario that TELUS Optik TV provides suits me just fine, turn on the box and watch whatever happens to be on. Netflix is there as well, doing the stuff that others do to find content just looks like too much of a PITA to me.

The_Penguin
04-03-2016, 10:02 PM
We have satellite but I rarely watch live tv. Any shows I routinely watch get downloaded (Sickbeard) and watched via Plex/Roku or Plex/Samsung smart tv.

ExtraSlow
04-03-2016, 10:09 PM
Rock bottom package from telus, use pvr for a couple shows, Netflix for the rest.

nzwasp
04-04-2016, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Rock bottom package from telus, use pvr for a couple shows, Netflix for the rest.

This is basically the same situation as our family. Although I also download a bunch of shows as well.

We would just drop optik altogether if you could legally watch all the nbc, abc, us channels that are on basic cable online for low cost or free. My wife has too watch all her chicago:fire/med/pd, criminal minds, etc

mr2mike
04-04-2016, 08:35 AM
I've had OTA and FireTV for a few years now. Had AppleTV prior.
It's amazing that once you downgrade, you do a whole lot more meaningful things. TV just doesn't have the same grasp it once did. (Kid with USA satellite growing up).
Cut the cable and go outside, go exercise!

I laugh when people say, they "HAVE" to watch their shows. Pff I could care less what some fake cop, finds out in 30min to solve a cold case.

nzwasp
04-04-2016, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
I've had OTA and FireTV for a few years now. Had AppleTV prior.
It's amazing that once you downgrade, you do a whole lot more meaningful things. TV just doesn't have the same grasp it once did. (Kid with USA satellite growing up).
Cut the cable and go outside, go exercise!

I laugh when people say, they "HAVE" to watch their shows. Pff I could care less what some fake cop, finds out in 30min to solve a cold case.

Atleast I dont have to watch the shows with her, I know some peoples wives make their husbands watch every single show they like, I wouldnt be able to put up with that.

Feruk
04-04-2016, 10:58 AM
Good internet connection, stream everything from Videocluster or watchseries-online.ch. We have Netflix, but it really blows. Haven't had cable in 4 years.

95EG6P
04-04-2016, 11:13 AM
no more cable as it is pricey just stream everything now but the stupid internet seems to get more expensive every year

speedog
04-04-2016, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp

Atleast I dont have to watch the shows with her, I know some peoples wives make their husbands watch every single show they like, I wouldnt be able to put up with that.

You're just doing it wrong, got to watch with your eyelids closed.

yellowGTS
04-04-2016, 05:22 PM
I am glad I am not forced to watch something I don't want to, one of the benefits of being single!

Minimalist
04-04-2016, 05:56 PM
I've been on the antenna ride and Netflix for two years now. Just got off the phone with Telus, they will drop the price of my $80 internet just enough to get a cable package. No charge DVR as well. So, really cable for free.

I'll list my antenna on the For Sale thread. You can all enjoy Murdoch on half your channels at any given time and say a big hello to the endless bible thumpers on the others.

theken
04-04-2016, 08:02 PM
Once my discount cable ended I dropped to minimum cable, I can't remember honestly the last time I turned my tv on to watch tv. I use Netflix and torrents for all my show watching.

J.M.
04-04-2016, 08:27 PM
Dropped cable a long time ago. I use Netflix most of the time now.

roopi
04-04-2016, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by yellowGTS
I am glad I am not forced to watch something I don't want to, one of the benefits of being single!

:rofl:

Suck it up and watch something you don't want too.

freshprince1
04-05-2016, 08:09 AM
Minimal cable package plus Netflix. I don't torrent much anymore...I download a season of a show once a year for when I'm on airplanes...it's more hassle than it's worth, as I don't really care that much about shows. I only watch one cable show now (TWD) down from 2-3 last year. Once my TV contract is up, I'll cut the cord.

Wifey and the kids just watch Netflix because it's easier....my kids can't stand cable and commercials...they're so spoiled.

When I have spare time in front of the screen I'd rather be playing XBOX than watching a show.

My only hesitation to cutting the cord is losing the live news which, in my old age (mid thirties), I like sitting down and watching for a few minutes after dinner.

sabad66
04-05-2016, 08:51 AM
Telus Optik + the Movies Extra package (HBO, Movietimes, etc) + Netflix

We normally just skim through the guide on the premium channels and PVR anything interesting.

I am still on my 1 year promo pricing until May... might downgrade if it gets to be too expensive after that.

mr2mike
04-05-2016, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Minimalist
You can all enjoy Murdoch on half your channels at any given time and say a big hello to the endless bible thumpers on the others.
Lol.

topmade
04-05-2016, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
:werd: Also use Torrents for odd stuff.

yellowGTS
04-08-2016, 06:22 AM
So Netflix with basic cable seems to be the best option. Unless I am missing another option

killramos
04-08-2016, 06:43 AM
While Netflix is definitely my primary I won't give up the full cable.

I watch cable at least a few hours a week though depending on sports / a few shows I follow. I really enjoy shaw on demand personally.

nzwasp
04-08-2016, 11:06 AM
Does shaw's version of netflix allow you to watch some of their content in realtime - as in this seasons stuff or do you still have to wait until next year?

mr2mike
04-08-2016, 11:11 AM
So Netflix with basic cable seems to be the best option. Unless I am missing another option

Other options are 'grey areas'.

Modded Android or similar boxes.

jwslam
04-08-2016, 11:27 AM
Does shaw's version of netflix allow you to watch some of their content in realtime - as in this seasons stuff or do you still have to wait until next year?
I think you're referring to ShoMi?
I've used shaw free range which is live TV

nj2Type-S
04-08-2016, 12:16 PM
I saw a kijiji ad of an M8S android tv box and it's got me intrigued.

anybody on here have this box? how's the resolution?

sputnik
04-08-2016, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
I saw a kijiji ad of an M8S android tv box and it's got me intrigued.

anybody on here have this box? how's the resolution?

It supports 4K

killramos
04-08-2016, 01:31 PM

Shaw on demand lets you do this usually the day after something airs. That's 100% dependant on the content providers though and tons of stuff is not on shaw on demand.

yellowGTS
04-08-2016, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike

Other options are 'grey areas'.

Modded Android or similar boxes.

What exactly do you mean 'grey areas'. Are you implying they are not legal? Or there is a need to hack a system (ie. Modding an Android box) to get a good level of content, no nasty buffering and good quality picture/sound?

ZMan2k2
04-09-2016, 08:09 AM

What exactly do you mean 'grey areas'. Are you implying they are not legal? Or there is a need to hack a system (ie. Modding an Android box) to get a good level of content, no nasty buffering and good quality picture/sound?

Yup. I had this discussion a month ago, just trying to figure out a way to save money, as I was on disability, and dollars count. I have a QNAP NAS connected to my TV for streaming my movies that I bought and ripped, much more convenient, and one of the options was adding the secondary software to KODI, and getting free TV. I tried it, but, I couldn't do it for very long. The quality is okay, but I didn't feel right about "grey market" TV, something about it just doesn't seem right to me. So, I converted back, and got rid of the addon. I would have needed to boost my internet as well as cut the cord if I kept it, being on Telus, I would have needed more space, and a faster download speed, I'm on 25 now. I would have to go to 50 and pay $15 for unlimited. At that point, as I figured out, I'm only saving about $40. It's a bunch of money, but not feeling comfortable about it, and teaching the family on how to watch TV again, vs. turn on the box and check the guide, wasn't worth it to me. YMMV.

ShermanEF9
04-09-2016, 11:52 AM
usenet servers and sickbeard.

pheoxs
04-09-2016, 02:57 PM
OTA Antenna for local news + Netflix for finding new shows + Newsgroups/Plex for any new shows

ZenOps
04-10-2016, 06:56 AM
Grey area is no one is really sure if its legal or not.

For people in the east, they can simply point their antennae to the United states and get several HD broadcast stations, which technically - we aren't supposed to get in Canada for free.

But since the old days of television, the rule has been - if you can receive it and don't rebroadcast it, added later that you don't copy or record it, even later that you don't descramble it - Its all good.

Since OTA is not scrambled, and adheres to the "old code" of TV over air on terrestrial tower broadcast - The vast majority consider it completely above board.

As for using the internet to get North Korea television - that is grey. Copying is technically grey as well, but even since the days of VCR tapes to now DVD+-R, PVR, and USB thumbdrives, people have been copying for personal use.

Its generally accepted you can copy (like a HDPVR) as long as it is for personal use.

sillysod
04-10-2016, 09:16 PM
Antenna for the news channels (that's all we ever watched on cable)
Roku's (3TV's) PS3 (1TV) for netflix and pandora
Raspberry Pi's running Kodi on everything for tv show streaming
Unblock US

Biggest problem is deciding what we want to watch.