PDA

View Full Version : New turbo rotary from Mazda

Gripenfelter
04-05-2016, 02:29 PM
http://jalopnik.com/holy-crap-mazdas-working-on-a-new-turbo-rotary-engine-1768924550

ShermanEF9
04-05-2016, 05:58 PM
It will not make it past the dream.

Xtrema
04-05-2016, 06:41 PM
So would this be some sort of hybrid with electric turbo(s)?

NVM, reading fail.

This will take as long as the NSX.

heavyD
04-06-2016, 11:55 AM
Mazda was just in dire straits a few years ago. Why do they continue to waste resources on such an impractical engine design?

Maxx Mazda
04-06-2016, 11:57 AM
Because Mazda.

Darkane
04-06-2016, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Mazda was just in dire straits a few years ago. Why do they continue to waste resources on such an impractical engine design?

I really admire their ambition and perseverance.

The skyactiv stuff is really cool. They're doing very well on the IC engine, might as well get one of rotarys "right" before we're all in autonomous Tesla's.

BokCh0y
04-06-2016, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by ShermanEF9
It will not make it past the dream.

THIS.

01RedDX
04-06-2016, 11:45 PM

zieg
04-07-2016, 08:46 AM
Yup innovation is for chumps and trying to do anything different from the norm is a waste of time and money. It's different, which means it won't work. Pack it up Mazda, the experts have spoken.

Lex350
04-07-2016, 10:37 AM
It wasn't having 2 engine placements in my RX8 that tainted me. It wasn't the down time in the shop.....it was dealing with the fucktard service managers at Mazda that didn't know jack shit that will never have me buying one of their fucking products again!

Hallowed_point
04-07-2016, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Lex350
It wasn't having 2 engine placements in my RX8 that tainted me. It wasn't the down time in the shop.....it was dealing with the fucktard service managers at Mazda that didn't know jack shit that will never have me buying one of their fucking products again! I've heard a similar story from other RX8 owners I know. That's too bad..it seems like those are fun cars.

Lex350
04-07-2016, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
I've heard a similar story from other RX8 owners I know. That's too bad..it seems like those are fun cars.

When it worked it was a lot of fun.

carguy
04-07-2016, 01:50 PM
yessss please Mazda. Drop dead sexy looks, with some decent power on a well balance rwd chassis.

:love: DRRROOOLAGE

Maxt
04-08-2016, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Exhaust port at the top and intake port at the bottom - that's the big innovation here? I was hoping they would finally address premature compression and apex seal failure or maybe an interesting way to develop more power aside from a revised air intake. Doesn't sound like anything revolutionary in design or reliability improvements.

Still would love to see a true spiritual successor to the FD with 350+HP for under $45K one day.
There are 2 reasons for flipping it, first packaging with a large turbo in a small engine bay, secondly anything you can do to manage heat better is a step forward.
Not burying a rats nest of emissions and engine controls on top of a hot engine to get cooked to premature failure is a step forward. The number 1 killer of FD motors.
Also why fight convection, the turbo down low just had all that heat working its way upward. Turbo up top makes a lot of sense.
Also Mazda is following what HKS has known for years, get the turbo as close to the exhaust port as possible on a rotary, and make the runners as short as possible to reduce spool time and heat loss. Long runner stuff doesn't work nearly as well.
The rotaries real achilles heal is thermal efficiency and emissions,I am curious to what the new dimensions of the 16x platform do for the BSFC of the motor. They need to reduce the amount of oil used in the total loss lubrication further for emissions reduction as well.
The side plates are now aluminium and larger which means more heat loss, so there maybe some sort of thermal coating on them now.
For the Rx8 guys, the shops in Japan use 15w50 in them and the motors last a lot longer.

01RedDX
04-08-2016, 07:31 AM

riander5
04-08-2016, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
I've heard a similar story from other RX8 owners I know. That's too bad..it seems like those are fun cars.

I drove a buddies when he had one prob 5 years ago... gutless but handled really well. And winding it up to 9000rpm was fun despite the lack of thrust to back the sound up