PDA

View Full Version : Green Drop or Weed Man?

vtec96
04-05-2016, 03:55 PM
Green Drop or Weed Man?

I am looking for weed control and they both offer unlimited service calls.

which one is better?

thanks

Cos
04-05-2016, 04:08 PM

89coupe
04-05-2016, 04:31 PM
Just look after your grass properly and you won't have weeds to begin with.

A790
04-05-2016, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by vtec96
Green Drop or Weed Man?

I am looking for weed control and they both offer unlimited service calls.

which one is better?

thanks
My vote is Green Drop, but only because I hired 'em for this year.

Pacman
04-05-2016, 04:45 PM
We have been with Nutrilawn for a few years and quite happy with everything

C_Dave45
04-05-2016, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by A790

My vote is Green Drop, but only because I hired 'em for this year.
I did the very same last year. They were doing cold calls and offered a deal of 5 applications for $199. So I took them up on it. My lawn is the best it's ever been. EVER. And I've done the whole "de-thatching, power rake, aerate, fertilizer etc. But I dont keep up with the fertilizer and nutrients. They do.

Sure I can do it myself for a lot cheaper but I never do. I want to renew this year but now they want $259 for the same service.
I won't though unless they honour the same deal as last year. I've been dropping my rates like everyone else...so can they.

A790
04-05-2016, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

I did the very same last year. They were doing cold calls and offered a deal of 5 applications for $199. So I took them up on it. My lawn is the best it's ever been. EVER. And I've done the whole "de-thatching, power rake, aerate, fertilizer etc. But I dont keep up with the fertilizer and nutrients. They do.

Sure I can do it myself for a lot cheaper but I never do. I want to renew this year but now they want $259 for the same service.
I won't though unless they honour the same deal as last year. I've been dropping my rates like everyone else...so can they.
They came door to door. $220 taxes in for four services and unlimited weed control. I'll be calling them for my first weed control next week :)

89coupe
04-05-2016, 05:59 PM
I buy a bag of fertilizer from Costco for $29 and apply it after every mow. 5 years now, no weeds. :dunno:

A790
04-05-2016, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
I buy a bag of fertilizer from Costco for $29 and apply it after every mow. 5 years now, no weeds. :dunno:
Whelp, I put down 4 yards of soil last year and am trying to get my lawn back to where it was. Big sections of just dirt that I have overseeded.

Of course, a bunch of weeds have decided to move in and set up shop. I suppose I could go around every few weeks and kill them all. Or, I could hire Green Drop for a couple hundred of bucks and have someone do it for me...

Option B, please!

redline
04-05-2016, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

:werd: I did the same lawn never looked better

C_Dave45
04-05-2016, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
Congratulations. :rolleyes:

darthVWader
04-05-2016, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Pacman
We have been with Nutrilawn for a few years and quite happy with everything

X2

Cos
04-06-2016, 06:53 AM

bigbadboss101
04-06-2016, 07:03 AM
I have done both Green Drop and store bought fertilizers. I find either way can yield good result. However one can do all they want but if you don't water the grass consistently then grass die and weed take over. Key is to keep lawn healthy and strong to crowd out the weeds.

I will see if one of the companies can offer a good deal.

Phlav
04-06-2016, 07:13 AM
I'm looking for a service as well, do any of those companies automatically enroll you every year?

I just received something in the mail from hometurf. $269 includes 4 fertilization, 3 weed control and aeration and overfeeding

Lex350
04-06-2016, 07:56 AM
I've been with Weedman for 5 years. Good service...no weeds and my quotes are constantly $60 cheaper than Nutralawn or Green drop.

outsider
04-06-2016, 08:24 AM
I hired Weedman last year. The back yard looked fantastic but they destroyed my front lawn! It dried up and all the grass died. I contacted them right away for them to review what they had done. They came back to me asking if I had fertilized it as well which killed the grass? Or if I had any enemies in the neighborhood that would have spilled gas on it? They then stated that it could be a grass disease that does this (even though the whole back yard was mint, and my neighbors grass was still alive).

In the end they denied any responsibility and said they would do a top seed as a free service in hopes that the grass would grow back this year. But they would not pay for any re-sodding. So I canceled my service with them right away and am now getting quotes to replace the whole front.

While every individual has a different experience, once you hire the company you will need to keep on top of your lawn to may sure that nothing goes wrong.

Cos
04-06-2016, 08:27 AM

bigbadboss101
04-06-2016, 08:48 AM
Dawn is the best time they say? I know people who have sprinkler systems in our street have the greener lawn as they don't forget.

Oh what do you guys do with the giant thistles? On the grass they are smaller but ones in the flower beds grow to couple feet tall if you don't de root them early. I guess healthy grass might block them out. As for the flower/veggie bed can't really put in any chemicals.

outsider
04-06-2016, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Just a thought but did you change how you watered the front? I know my place gets afternoon sun in the front so the watering I have to do is different than my back.

I was watering in the evening, but after the first call to Weedman, they asked if I could water in the morning before the sun came out. So I did, with no results.

A790
04-06-2016, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by outsider

I was watering in the evening, but after the first call to Weedman, they asked if I could water in the morning before the sun came out. So I did, with no results.
Watering in the evening has been shown to increase the prevalence of lawn diseases.

I'm not an expert though, just repeating what I've read.

Pacman
04-06-2016, 10:39 AM
Do any of these lawn companies (Nutrilawn doesn't) take care of field mice / voles?

I have a few back this year that have set up shop under the front porch and digging some holes. The poison I placed last year didn't work. I'm thinking of staring up the cars and running hoses into the holes from the tail pipe.

bigbadboss101
04-06-2016, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by A790

Watering in the evening has been shown to increase the prevalence of lawn diseases.

I'm not an expert though, just repeating what I've read.

Damn, will have to change my habit. I leave the house for work at 5:30 so watering before that is not an enticing idea.

RealJimmyJames
04-06-2016, 10:57 AM
Water timer, cheap and easy, set it to go for an hour in the morning, two or three days per week.

Lex350
04-06-2016, 11:01 AM
I have my underground sprinklers set to come on for 10 minutes every second morning at 6am. Lawn always looks good.

403ep3
04-06-2016, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
Water timer, cheap and easy, set it to go for an hour in the morning, two or three days per week.

Have a suggestion on which one is good?

I hate taking care of my lawn and/or watering it and that's why it's mediocre at best.

Cos
04-06-2016, 11:16 AM

bigbadboss101
04-15-2016, 06:37 PM
This season started earlier than usual. Has your service provider done the first application yet? We signed up with Nutri Lawn and if they don't come next week I will give them a call. Weeds/wild grass is starting to spring up.

Cos
04-16-2016, 08:48 AM

colsankey
04-16-2016, 07:50 PM
Do any of these lawn companies (Nutrilawn doesn't) take care of field mice / voles?

I have a few back this year that have set up shop under the front porch and digging some holes. The poison I placed last year didn't work. I'm thinking of staring up the cars and running hoses into the holes from the tail pipe.
Able pest control took care e of our voles 2 years ago. Dont remeber the exact quote but it was around 300 for an initial visit and 2 follow ups. No issues since.

StreetRacerX
05-07-2016, 10:36 PM
So by the sounds of things Nutri-Lawn is the way to go as far as companies you hire? I read some reviews on the various lawn care companies and there are quite a few that aren't very flattering hahaha.

Nova316
05-09-2016, 08:18 AM
I got a quote from Nutri-Lawn if your a new customer they'll take 42$ off plus give you first application free. Only problem I saw is they only do 2 applications of fertilizer and 2 applications of weed control versus green drop that does 5 applications of both.

Nutrilawn I believe was $179, plus I have an email for first application free so it'd be $127 Greendrop was $209.99
I went with Greendrop again as my grass was wonderful and weedfree last year

A790
05-09-2016, 08:54 AM
So far, so good with Green Drop. :)

Prelude_dude
05-17-2016, 09:18 PM
do these companies just do weed control/maintenance on existing lawns?

Can they come in and spray something like this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/idx2vFRlJDVwugj9jQohABbQqneQ2KDeYY_KQPIqwyHmSiI2w2lOIhhrL6nVJK0cZlGYDz_PvabKKX5uvplrRMSrxZ_y-vOY5-s5k78945_ntc71V2HIjTf5Umc4gBBYd1R8sy0NN5ARby2s_V2h0WsGAS7K1kvCTC0pDNU2wZ8FhTH5sl1uzd0GZEy-6eY8JvVyIMXefQ99mgVXjJCi1bsutBtuiddaS2NhRmEgYjReGv105wCJ1-prvFdIEt4JZ-wH3tDEepPQsWuyk8uuafLPrm2CHIENjJ2BhXstKIORFETV88bNTA--jhyw7dPdfIsZXJ3lik-nQCUxu0zxUNHl9mpPHeqwXw1IhMjMvxiqeTMCPOGR2pj5CdyitetzTttietCfgOc6Hh2Jg-UnP1bLXDHJh-cIL2dfDHSKqUWcLhZiPp3hiF72qNT2r1bIYXcwOpVjFqAf85dsHrDe7Q56lweBrgqo8YHBoiVmAxbDF9OXwLi4prWxj7vHDCB6sdSJZWE5iTzyXeQNll26l9hv1r1GsR0TKJk72-J5uVrNyyVWla98QyiPcy3ysO_jn0xx4PyYqeOhFeC02OPUgL8idzAwzKQ=w1328-h747-no

schurchill39
05-25-2016, 09:57 PM

I used poison for a while but that never worked so I set traps up and just kill the bastards.

C_Dave45
05-26-2016, 12:16 AM
As much as I felt the $200 was worth hiring Green Drop last year, I just couldn't afford it this year. So I started with my own regiment and kept track of their applications from last year. I even started a month earlier. First application was April 17th. I spent $16.99 on a bag of Scott's spring fertilizer. Didn't see much results. After a month in fact my lawn was quite brown. Worse than my neighbours but they had started watering. So I started watering the shit out of it on May 7th. By May 14th it needed another mowing and I then spent another $36 on a larger 16kg bag of Scott's turf builder. Gave the lawn it's second application. Theres enough for at least another application. I came back from Lethbridge on Friday, just one week later, and this was my lawn on saturday:

http://i65.tinypic.com/28tiza9.jpg

This shows you how much it grew in one week.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2vxkhp2.jpg
Next application will be mid June. So far I've only spent $52.

403ep3
05-26-2016, 06:44 AM
Any suggestions for one time applications? Will it work or is it just a waste of my time? My house in sale atm and the dandelions are popping up like crazy :banghead:

bigbadboss101
05-26-2016, 06:49 AM
The rain makes a big difference. In my neighbourhood the people with the nicest lawn are ones with auto sprinklers. Others can be fine if they remember to water, and at optimal times.

outsider
05-30-2016, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by RealJimmyJames

I just had my whole front lawn re-sodded (out of my own pocket as Weed-man still denies any wrong doing), and got the four zone water timer from Lee Valley http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/Page.aspx?p=69727&cat=2,2280,33160

I can proudly say I have the greened lawn in the neighborhood so far this year.

G
05-30-2016, 09:55 AM
I water MWFS for 10 minutes a zone and fertilize every third mow.

http://i.imgur.com/HaJ0lBT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zrdaYhV.jpg

bigbadboss101
06-06-2016, 05:59 PM
The other day I was saying to a friend that there hasn't been much in terms of mosquitoes. Today I noticed there are tons of the little things on my windows and sides of the wall. It is as if just today someone imported them as I haven't noticed any until now! This coincides with Nutri Lawn emailed me about their new mosquito service. It couldn't be the stuff they use attract mosquitoes? Very could be the rain we hand and then the heat.

A790
06-06-2016, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
The other day I was saying to a friend that there hasn't been much in terms of mosquitoes. Today I noticed there are tons of the little things on my windows and sides of the wall. It is as if just today someone imported them as I haven't noticed any until now! This coincides with Nutri Lawn emailed me about their new mosquito service. It couldn't be the stuff they use attract mosquitoes? Very could be the rain we hand and then the heat.
lol I had the same situation at my place and I don't use Nutri Lawn. Coincidence. :)

bigbadboss101
06-06-2016, 06:28 PM
Ok, not a conspiracy then. Seriously none the other day. I was going to mow the lawn and went to my window and holy smoke many many of them. And I looked at side of one wall and there were a bunch hanging on the wall. I guess they hatched and grew up in a hurry.

bigbadboss101
06-08-2016, 10:33 PM
Upon more research I found out these are actually Crane Flies. The adults don't do any harm but the larvae in the lawn will create yellow patches. I am hoping it's not serious enough to need to get the lawn treated. Anyone has issues with abundance of these bugs? I see a few swamps of them and also a bunch on the side of my balcony wall. I hate having bugs get into my house so I am going to zap them and perform other measures if needed.