PDA

View Full Version : Home Automation/Speaker system?

imranm
04-06-2016, 09:45 AM
HI everyone.

I've started venturing into Home Automation.

Being not so tech savvy I started with the following:

Wink Hub - Its stupid easy to pair and create robots with
Schlage Z-Wave Locks
Chamberlain My Q Garage Doors
Nest Thermostats
Philips Hue Bulbs (a few)

- Now I am looking to automate my lighting (using switches as changing 100 bulbs to hue would be pricey as hell). Any suggestions on where to pickup Zwave/Zigbee switches?

- Any other suggestions for bolt on home automation products?

- Also, my home has built in speakers in 4 different zones and all the wiring all terminates in my basement. Any suggestions on a zoning system which I can control thru my smartphone?

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks!

killramos
04-06-2016, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by imranm

- Also, my home has built in speakers in 4 different zones and all the wiring all terminates in my basement. Any suggestions on a zoning system which I can control thru my smartphone?

I can highly recommend Sonos Connect Amp for this. Couldn't be easier and both me and the wife love it. Everything is controlled by your cell phone and really "just works". Also super easy to bolt on additional rooms or components at a later date if that's what you are interested in.

Buy as many as your want zones ( personally i grouped a couple of zone's as I couldn't see a point in separating them). They are pretty powerful amp's and imo will go far louder than you want them too.

My build:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/390301/whole-home-audio-my-solution/

For lighting i am using Lutron Caseta and slowly building it out from just my media room.

The_Penguin
04-06-2016, 10:07 AM
Any suggestions on where to pickup Zwave/Zigbee switches?

Thanks!

My go-to place for automation stuff has always been AArtech.ca
That said, Monoprice has started carrying some Zwave stuff, and it looks pretty inexpensive, though I don't think I saw any switches.

imranm
04-06-2016, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by killramos

I can highly recommend Sonos Connect Amp for this. Couldn't be easier and both me and the wife love it. Everything is controlled by your cell phone and really "just works". Also super easy to bolt on additional rooms or components at a later date if that's what you are interested in.

Buy as many as your want zones ( personally i grouped a couple of zone's as I couldn't see a point in separating them). They are pretty powerful amp's and imo will go far louder than you want them too.

My build:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/390301/whole-home-audio-my-solution/

For lighting i am using Lutron Caseta and slowly building it out from just my media room.

Thats awesome! Thank you. I will swing by Bestbuy and take a look.

When you say you grouped some zones, did you just connect two speakers to one set in the SONOS?

imranm
04-06-2016, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by The_Penguin

My go-to place for automation stuff has always been AArtech.ca
That said, Monoprice has started carrying some Zwave stuff, and it looks pretty inexpensive, though I don't think I saw any switches.

Thanks I will check out AArtech.

killramos
04-06-2016, 10:23 AM

When you say you grouped some zones, did you just connect two speakers to one set in the SONOS?

Yup, saves me from buying an AMP for each room. As long as you aren't grouping more than 2 or 3 its no problem for the amp.

For my main floor for example i have 2 stereo pairs, one in living room and one in front room. But in an open concept layout there is never a situation where you would play different sources in each of those rooms so it just makes sense to run them off one amp.

Same for my master bed/bath.

mix123
04-06-2016, 10:31 AM
I have a couple of these Z-Wave switches.

http://www.amazon.com/Enerwave-ZW15S-Wireless-Incandescent-Screwless/dp/B00I9L0L4C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459960206&sr=8-1&keywords=enerwave

They work well with my Smartthings Hub.

imranm
04-06-2016, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by mix123
I have a couple of these Z-Wave switches.

http://www.amazon.com/Enerwave-ZW15S-Wireless-Incandescent-Screwless/dp/B00I9L0L4C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459960206&sr=8-1&keywords=enerwave

They work well with my Smartthings Hub.

Thanks! I saw this but they won't ship the add on switches (for 3 way) to Canada. I will take a look on Amazon.ca

mix123
04-06-2016, 10:45 AM

Thanks! I saw this but they won't ship the add on switches (for 3 way) to Canada. I will take a look on Amazon.ca

That's odd. I have 4 of the regular On/Off ones and need to order some more. The price of them was what originally made me buy them and now that I know they work well I'll probably get more.

This is a popular canadian Zwave/Zigbee canadian online store...

https://www.aartech.ca/

rage2
04-06-2016, 10:49 AM
For lighting, wink hub supports Lutron Caseta switches. It's not as "instant" as using a Lutron hub, but I believe Wink updated their setup since I tested it and it's much faster/responsive now.

Here's a link to their line of switches and starter kits:

http://www.casetawireless.com/Pages/Products.aspx

Here's a link to my home automation using Apple HomeKit thread:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/396913/diy-home-automation-with-apple-homekit/

Even though you're not using Homekit, I compared several lighting options in my thread that may have some valuable info.

imranm
04-06-2016, 11:01 AM
So here is a dumb question.

If I use a ZWAVE switch and turn off the lights manually, will a SCENE mode or me using an APP override this or do I have to always have the switch ON?

mix123
04-06-2016, 11:14 AM
Think of the switch as a toggle button rather than an on/off rocker switch. All it does is change the state from off to on or on to off when its pressed. Which would be the same as what your apps are going to do.

schocker
04-06-2016, 11:32 AM
Also for home audio control, it might be worth looking at the chromecast audio as it is only $40 and has 3.5mm or optical out. Speakers need to be powered though where the sonos can be bought as an amp.

imranm
04-06-2016, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by schocker
Also for home audio control, it might be worth looking at the chromecast audio as it is only $40 and has 3.5mm or optical out. Speakers need to be powered though where the sonos can be bought as an amp.

I like this idea. It would certainly be a cheaper way to get there wireless portion taken care of!

spike98
04-06-2016, 12:44 PM

I like this idea. It would certainly be a cheaper way to get there wireless portion taken care of!

This is what i did. Went with some of these (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00IZS5C3O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to go with a chomecast audio for each zone. Works out to about $175 per zone as opposed to $600 per zone with Sonos.

I had a Sonos Connect Amp, sold it USED, and paid for 3 zones of chromecast/amps.

imranm
04-06-2016, 01:04 PM
So I ordered a couple of these for my ceiling speakers for background audio, low output, but should do the job. If not return to Amazon!

https://www.amazon.ca/Version-Upgraded-Lepy-LP-2020A-Amplifier/dp/B00V9AYMZ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1459967744&sr=1-1

I'll connect those up to some Chromecast audios and see how it works.

I'll report back on the weekend add let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again!

spike98
04-06-2016, 01:25 PM
So I ordered a couple of these for my ceiling speakers for background audio, low output, but should do the job. If not return to Amazon!

https://www.amazon.ca/Version-Upgraded-Lepy-LP-2020A-Amplifier/dp/B00V9AYMZ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1459967744&sr=1-1

I'll connect those up to some Chromecast audios and see how it works.

I'll report back on the weekend add let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again!

I opted for the TP22 over the 2020A's as the Toppings have a bit more power as i am driving more than two speakers in some cases. Should you be sticking to a pair per 2020A, you're laughing.

imranm
04-06-2016, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by spike98

I opted for the TP22 over the 2020A's as the Toppings have a bit more power as i am driving more than two speakers in some cases. Should you be sticking to a pair per 2020A, you're laughing.

Yea, I figured at $28 + $45 for the chromecast audio, if it works, I'm all in $75 per zone.
Heres to hoping!

macman64
04-06-2016, 07:54 PM
I run these for dimmers and they work great with LEDs: https://www.aartech.ca/lrm-as-evolve-zwave-wall-dimmer-lrm15.html They have a higher wattage unit if needed. The mono price motion sensors work well if you need cheap sensors.

rage2
04-06-2016, 08:40 PM
When choosing dimmers and switches for home automation, check to see if your house has neutral wires. Older homes don't have them so they need switches that don't use neutral. Only some Insteon and most Lutron (non pro) switches and dimmers are designed to not use neutral.

imranm
04-06-2016, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by rage2
When choosing dimmers and switches for home automation, check to see if your house has neutral wires. Older homes don't have them so they need switches that don't use neutral. Only some Insteon and most Lutron (non pro) switches and dimmers are designed to not use neutral.

Yes, I checked. Neutral there. My builder put in the led pot lights so I'll check to see if they're dimmable before I start buying!

rage2
04-07-2016, 07:33 AM
If the LED pot lights are run on low voltage, you'll have to figure out if it's using a Magnetic (MLV) or Electronic (ELV) transformer. Both require different dimmers, and you're going to be forced to use either Lutron or Insteon setup.

For MLV transformers, Lutron's Pro dimmer can handle it. For ELV, both Lutron and Insteon requires a normal dimmer with a ELV module.

imranm
04-07-2016, 09:39 AM
Another question, have any of you successfully setup your Android tablets to become a home automation hub? As in control everything from there? I know I can download all the apps but I'm thinking widgets etc to use only for home automation.
I have an old nexus 7 sitting around that I'd like to use specially for home automation purposes.

rage2
04-07-2016, 10:39 AM
Another question, have any of you successfully setup your Android tablets to become a home automation hub? As in control everything from there? I know I can download all the apps but I'm thinking widgets etc to use only for home automation.
I have an old nexus 7 sitting around that I'd like to use specially for home automation purposes.
Until Google gets serious with Weave and get mass adoption from the IoT makers, you're stuck with sticking with 1 brand and just using their single interface for Android.

The only platforms out there right now to tie multiple IoT hubs and devices together in 1 place is HomeKit (control via single app + Siri voice) and Amazon Echo (Alexa voice only). Amazon Echo is gaining ground for support right now, where as Apple Homekit adoption has been slow thanks to it's strict encryption requirements to talk to iCloud but there are enough decent products available for it to almost create a full home automation experience. Just missing garage doors and door locks at this point for Homekit. There are guys using homebridge to add homekit functionality to unsupported devices, but because it lacks the required encryption to talk to iCloud it only works while you're on the same wifi network locally. It does allow you a single app interface to everything though if you don't care about remote access.

Wink is kind of there, as it's the single hub that supports the most devices, so as long as you only buy Wink compatible devices, you can use the wink app as your central control under iOS or Android.

That's your coles notes look at the DIY home automation landscape today.

edit - this is the app I'm using for single app control at home. It's worth a watch, the chick is pretty cute haha. It's also iOS so not gonna help you unless you have a spare iPad that you'd want to use as an automation hub.

wZyqW0t2HUU

They're obviously using homebridge in the demo, as Nest and whatever garage door opener in the video doesn't have native Homekit functionality.

imranm
04-07-2016, 10:59 AM

Until Google gets serious with Weave and get mass adoption from the IoT makers, you're stuck with sticking with 1 brand and just using their single interface for Android.

The only platforms out there right now to tie multiple IoT hubs and devices together in 1 place is HomeKit (control via single app + Siri voice) and Amazon Echo (Alexa voice only). Amazon Echo is gaining ground for support right now, where as Apple Homekit adoption has been slow thanks to it's strict encryption requirements to talk to iCloud but there are enough decent products available for it to almost create a full home automation experience. Just missing garage doors and door locks at this point for Homekit. There are guys using homebridge to add homekit functionality to unsupported devices, but because it lacks the required encryption to talk to iCloud it only works while you're on the same wifi network locally. It does allow you a single app interface to everything though if you don't care about remote access.

Wink is kind of there, as it's the single hub that supports the most devices, so as long as you only buy Wink compatible devices, you can use the wink app as your central control under iOS or Android.

That's your coles notes look at the DIY home automation landscape today.

edit - this is the app I'm using for single app control at home. It's worth a watch, the chick is pretty cute haha. It's also iOS so not gonna help you unless you have a spare iPad that you'd want to use as an automation hub.

wZyqW0t2HUU

They're obviously using homebridge in the demo, as Nest and whatever garage door opener in the video doesn't have native Homekit functionality.

Thanks! It looks cool, but my wife would kill me with that kind of app (too confusing!).

As you mentioned the whole IoT is all messed up, different standards, apps, etc. What I am thinking about is something more simple. Something like making my tablet look like this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0KlCFIIUAAIQFg.jpg

I keep researching how to do the widget thing but it looks so NOT simple!

rage2
04-07-2016, 11:07 AM
That app supports Widgets as well as Apple Watch, but widgets in iOS is a little different than Android.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/CD9C19CE-BBF2-4282-8102-F63CC9E83F7E_zpsebyj4h6e.png

But yea, if you want a single app interface to do everything, you're stuck with Wink (not 100% sure what the wink app looks like if it can even do that), or go with a $$$ real home automation system.

kenny
04-07-2016, 12:05 PM
Get SmartTiles for SmartThings. It will support one touch operation of all your devices and can display feeds from any cameras too.

imranm
04-07-2016, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Get SmartTiles for SmartThings. It will support one touch operation of all your devices and can display feeds from any cameras too.

Exactly this! But I don't have an smartthings

rage2
04-07-2016, 01:34 PM
Smartthings falls under this category:

you're stuck with sticking with 1 brand and just using their single interface for Android.
Although if you're a hacker, and your other devices have an web based API (ST doesn't support telnet so no Lutron hub support) you can write your own code to make ST talk to your other manufacturer's hubs.

Do you hate DIY home automation yet? :rofl:

rage2
04-07-2016, 02:09 PM
Looks like there's a free app that can do that for Homekit. Must be new, never noticed it before. Here it is on the iPhone.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/5480B922-F2E8-4822-99F8-606E30718B1F_zpskclvscsf.png

zooter
04-07-2016, 04:14 PM
My bonus room is pre-wired for 7.1 surround sound in a ceiling setup. Any recommendations on a system and can someone recommend an installer? I suppose I could do this myself too if everything is pre-wired I would have to install the ceiling speakers and hook up the system?

rage2
04-07-2016, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by zooter
My bonus room is pre-wired for 7.1 surround sound in a ceiling setup. Any recommendations on a system and can someone recommend an installer? I suppose I could do this myself too if everything is pre-wired I would have to install the ceiling speakers and hook up the system?
Uhh what system? That would be just a standard 7.1 HT receiver + speakers? You'd have to choose one based on so many factors such as size, HDMI requirements, amp power...

imranm
04-08-2016, 04:39 PM
Thought I'd give everyone an update.

I bought the Lepi mini amp from Amazon:
2015 New Version!! Upgraded Lepy (Lepai) LP-2020A 2020 Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier with US Power Supply Black https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00V9AYMZ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_NgdcxbXMCN6P7
&
Google Chromecast Audio

Just so that I could compare, I picked up the Sonos Amp.

I tried both setups and although the sonos app is slick, I decided to go with the first setup. I'm driving a pair of in ceiling speakers on four separate zones and it really didn't make sense to drop $600+ on the sonos vs $75 on the other setup. The mini amp provides more than enough power to drive the in ceiling speakers and the sound is very clear.

Google Chromecast Audio works great with most streaming audio apps and I stream my computer music via chrome.

Thanks for your help! I'll update you when I decide how to go about the home automation.

locust
04-08-2016, 05:13 PM
Good choice on the mini amp its a pretty robust amp the only down side is the quantity of inputs and if you wanted to distribute audio with video.

Another alternative could be a central distribution audio hub with multiple inputs like htd or the mono price whole house audio connect.
http://www.htd.com/Products/mid-level-whole-house-audio

For lighting I recommend using lutron caseta or insteon. I use to use the generic z-wave ge dimmer switches but found that the 2 way feed back a bit slow and some times un-reliable and there basically the same price. I still use the z-wave components for water sensors and heat sensors. Haven't found any of these for lutron / insteon yet. If your wanting to integrate lutron caseta with other 3rd party hubs look up a bridging hub like a vera lite which is able to run all the commands on the lutron hub to integrate with a bunch of other products as well. It's kind of a pain right now since there isn't a global home automation system that does everything.

If you have an irrigation system I use hydras wise which looks up google weather to determine whether or not it should run based on how much rain it's received.
https://hydrawise.com/

Good luck with your project!

mix123
04-09-2016, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by locust

If you have an irrigation system I use hydras wise which looks up google weather to determine whether or not it should run based on how much rain it's received.
https://hydrawise.com/

Good luck with your project! [/B]

Or http://www.spruceirrigation.com/ if you have smartthings lol

imranm
04-12-2016, 11:40 AM
So - 4 Chromecast Audios, 4 Mini Amps and $300 later, I am up and running. These little mini amps work AWESOME!

CC Audio works great if you are mostly streaming, I use Spotify and no issues. YouTube a no go. I am trying to figure out how to cast my music from my computer to CC Audio all being controlled by iPhone...any suggestions?

I setup my old Nexus 7 to act the "brain" to control my lighting, thermostat, garage door, locks, audio etc and it works far better with CC Audio (I guess google products) because you can simply mirror all audio. Then my two year old daughter decided to play with it and smashed the screen!

Just wanted to give you all an update!