PDA

View Full Version : 3M Peeling and warped

gwill
04-07-2016, 09:29 PM
I used a pressure washer at home to wash my car last week and an entire section of the 3m peeled off instantly. After a quick wash i noticed lots of bubbling in many areas and other areas where the 3m was too large for the area or too short.

My auto body shop sent it to another shop to get installed when i had it in getting work done due to an accident... the place with the 3m claims my pressure washer messed everything up and my auto body wants me to pay half and half to get it repaired.

I had a product that was different then 3m that i had installed for 3 years with zero issues. I regularly pressure washed my car with no problems.. but now i need to fight the auto body or my insurance to avoid paying out of pocket. I am okay with this but i am curious why my auto body shop is saying that 3m will always peel when hit with a pressure washer.

I know there are a lot of different products out there and my auto body shop said what i had installed on my car was thicker and a different material then the shop he sent my car to... regardless of that he wants me to pay out of pocket to get fixed.. and he wants the same crappy shop to do the work.

Is it the product used that allowed my 3m to peel so easily or just a really really shitty install job? Are there different 3m type of materials that are better to use to avoid this issue with a pressure washer?

I will have a lot of fun stopping into his shop tomorrow. Ill have to keep my dash cam running to catch all his BS tomorrow.

rage2
04-07-2016, 10:17 PM
The cheap stuff will peel. The Lexus dealer installed 3M on my RCF as standard, and one corner is bubbling and peeling. Never have that problem with any of my other cars where I used Jared or Shadow Tinting and Xpel.

InRich
04-07-2016, 10:46 PM
^ I had a problem with Jared's work on the Sierra. txt'ed him and he fixed it right away. :burnout:

gwill
04-07-2016, 11:14 PM
Curious as to what the good stuff would be called.... its clear the stuff i had before was awesome as it was on forever... this new stuff started pealing after one pressure wash at home....

codetrap
04-07-2016, 11:14 PM

gwill
04-07-2016, 11:48 PM
^i know i laughed when they said a house pressure washer would peel the 3m.... F*** that

theken
04-08-2016, 09:39 AM
3m on an 03 escalade since new. Still looks great

realazy
04-08-2016, 10:03 AM
Yup, never a problem pressure washing the car.

Always had mine done at tint tech with XPEL. They wrap the film edges on the hood and fenders too.