PDA

View Full Version : Spotted: Angry guy pulls car out of parking spot.

16hypen3sp
04-10-2016, 03:46 AM
A friend was sitting in her condo when she hears a bunch of screaming coming from the parking lot. She heads to her patio to find a guy yelling "Fuck you! You cockroaches!"

This very angry man proceeds to throw a tow strap on a car that has apparently been parked in this guys designated parking spot.

Friend pulls out her cellphone to get a quick snapchat of this guy forcefully removing the car from his spot!!!!!

g-2Yl2j3JRM

Somebody must have called the cops as the RCMP showed up but by the time they arrived, the truck driver had pulled the car completely out of the way and backed into his spot. You can see his truck backed in on the left side of the pic.

EDIT: This happened in Red Deer.
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj186/manandmachinex411/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsk2w7uvfy.jpg (http://s272.photobucket.com/user/manandmachinex411/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsk2w7uvfy.jpg.html)

colsankey
04-10-2016, 04:52 AM
Not the building i thought it was. Was this in Airdrie that the RCMP showed up?

16hypen3sp
04-10-2016, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by colsankey
Not the building i thought it was. Was this in Airdrie that the RCMP showed up?

Sorry. I should have specified... this happened in Red Deer.

rage2
04-10-2016, 08:07 AM
That's pretty awesome haha.

Shlade
04-10-2016, 08:09 AM
Awesome

speedog
04-10-2016, 08:48 AM
Off topic but is that the only way an iPhone can take a video?

If so, it is rather annoying and surprising that Apple hasn't addressed that.

If not, how come users like this can't figure things out or is it still just a combination of an Apple quirk and dumb users?

blairtruck
04-10-2016, 09:00 AM
it is a feel good moment for the truck but if he pulled my car out with a tow strap. he would have a fun time the next day figuring out who is going to tow his truck to the shop.

Canmorite
04-10-2016, 09:31 AM
That was awesome haha. I used to live in a building where we had designated parking, can't count the number of times someone was parked in my reserved spot. Some people are just too dense :banghead:

blairtruck
04-10-2016, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Canmorite
That was awesome haha. I used to live in a building where we had designated parking, can't count the number of times someone was parked in my reserved spot. Some people are just too dense :banghead:
thats condo life.
if someone has their music too loud for your liking. do you just kick the door in and take the radio?

revelations
04-10-2016, 10:26 AM
Unless truck damaged car in some manner, this is going to amount to nothing. The RCMP would see this as the same as a tow truck arriving to move a vehicle (but without the impound). So essentially the truck owner saved the car owner impound and towing fees !!

Had the low-IQ truck driver not yelled anything, no one probably would have looked away from their TVs and noticed anything.

Dave P
04-10-2016, 10:29 AM
Hahaha that was awesome.

I used to just double park people if they parked in my condo spot. Was hilarious watching them trying to figure out what to do .

revelations
04-10-2016, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Dave P
Hahaha that was awesome.

I used to just double park people if they parked in my condo spot. Was hilarious watching them trying to figure out what to do .

Condo can tow your vehicle for illegal parking.

Canmorite
04-10-2016, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Yup. I double parked someone, only to have the parking authority get mad at ME when there was nowhere else to park :rofl: I moved my car and he was towed, boy was he mad. Guess he missed the giant 'RESERVED PARKING' sign.

beyond_ban
04-10-2016, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Off topic but is that the only way an iPhone can take a video?

If so, it is rather annoying and surprising that Apple hasn't addressed that.

If not, how come users like this can't figure things out or is it still just a combination of an Apple quirk and dumb users?

No, obviously not the only way the iPhone can record video. That being said, the clip posted was originally shot in an app called snapchat which makes it more convenient to take pictures and video in portrait rather than landscape.

speedog
04-10-2016, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

No, obviously not the only way the iPhone can record video. That being said, the clip posted was originally shot in an app called snapchat which makes it more convenient to take pictures and video in portrait rather than landscape.

TIL that I know nothing of iPhones or snapchat but that video taken with snapchat is annoying.

16hypen3sp
04-10-2016, 09:28 PM
I just wish we had some more footage of him dragging it but, oh well, my OP contains the gist of it.

beyond_ban
04-10-2016, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by speedog

TIL that I know nothing of iPhones or snapchat but that video taken with snapchat is annoying.

Hahaha, fair enough. I will agree with you there though, video shot in portrait is the bane of my existence.

Hallowed_point
04-11-2016, 05:41 AM
Red deer solutions! I can't say that I blame the stall owner. I had a kid park in my stall once. Oh I'll just be a few minutes. Oh yeah..how about move it right now you don't pay for this stall. Also second the comment about: don't park behind them and call the CPA. The officer will refuse to issue a tow notice.

Dave P
04-11-2016, 07:28 AM

Im sure they can, but never did.

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-11-2016, 07:43 AM
Love it. All I ever did was leave passive aggressive notes.

killramos
04-11-2016, 07:50 AM
So where is the legality on this in all honesty?

If its titled i would assume you are free to use whatever means you deem necessary to remove something left on your property? Just as if someone parked a car on your front lawn?

However if the condo actually owns the spot then I imagine its on them to enforce?

jdmXSI
04-11-2016, 07:55 AM

If you have assigned parking. You don't even have to go to the condo board. You should be able to call cpa and have them ticketed/ towed with proof of ownership of the stall. That should should be available through your property management company.

Never done it personally but it came up in one of our condo board meetingso near Christmas and that's what we were supposed to do.

Hallowed_point
04-11-2016, 08:02 AM
It's up to the stall owner/tenant to enforce (with supporting documentation to show the CPA Officer upon arrival.) The condo board won't touch it with a 10 foot pole unless there is a safety hazard to the building. I work at a condo.

Mitsu3000gt
04-11-2016, 09:04 AM
What about visitor parking, and people using the stalls without displaying the required visitor pass? People ALWAYS take up my visitor parking without a pass (I'm pretty sure they aren't even guests of my building) and then I have people come over who have to park several blocks away on the street. Can you call CPA for a ticket/tow or is it just a formality? My condo management company sure goes through a lot of trouble to make sure everyone has updated parking passes every year for their guests but they don't enforce it at all and I think people have figured that out.

Kaos
04-11-2016, 09:04 AM
Reminds me of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSY3VuhCDZM

Hallowed_point
04-11-2016, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
What about visitor parking, and people using the stalls without displaying the required visitor pass? People ALWAYS take up my visitor parking without a pass (I'm pretty sure they aren't even guests of my building) and then I have people come over who have to park several blocks away on the street. Can you call CPA for a ticket/tow or is it just a formality? My condo management company sure goes through a lot of trouble to make sure everyone has updated parking passes every year for their guests but they don't enforce it at all and I think people have figured that out. We have that issue at our building as well. For that, you need to talk to Condo management. Take pictures to document plates and times. CPA will not come unless you are on the list for the address as a building rep. So even as an owner, you don't have that right for visitor parking.

Hallowed_point
04-11-2016, 09:16 AM
I'm shocked that Ricky & Julin/Cyrus weren't involved in this fiasco.

Mitsu3000gt
04-11-2016, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
We have that issue at our building as well. For that, you need to talk to Condo management. Take pictures to document plates and times. CPA will not come unless you are on the list for the address as a building rep. So even as an owner, you don't have that right for visitor parking.

I have, the condo company just sends out a joke of a reminder to tenants via email to make sure their guests are displaying their passes, unfortunately. Worrying about our visitor stalls is far too much work for them. I was hoping I could bypass the condo company and go right to the CPA, since there is a giant sign that says passes must be displayed, and its very obvious if someone doesn't have a pass (they are 8.5 X 11 laminated pieces of fluorescent paper lol). The tow truck driver could drive right up and see within 2 seconds if someone is illegally parked.

dirtsniffer
04-11-2016, 10:18 AM
If they don't have the signage displayed the board can issue a letter to CPA stating they are allowed to ticket or tow.

A person abusing the pass will need to be dealt with by the management company or by the board directly.

Hallowed_point
04-11-2016, 10:21 AM
^I wish, same dickheads every night at my place. I chalk it up to lazy management (no onsite manager.)

Mitsu, do you live in one of the condos in Lincoln Park? We have the same bright yellow passes.

revelations
04-11-2016, 10:21 AM
What about visitor parking, and people using the stalls without displaying the required visitor pass? People ALWAYS take up my visitor parking without a pass (I'm pretty sure they aren't even guests of my building) and then I have people come over who have to park several blocks away on the street. Can you call CPA for a ticket/tow or is it just a formality? My condo management company sure goes through a lot of trouble to make sure everyone has updated parking passes every year for their guests but they don't enforce it at all and I think people have figured that out.

Also depends on the signage. If there are EXPLICIT signs that say for eg. " no parking from 2am - 7am WITHOUT visitor passes" then the CPA will come and ticket/tow these vehicles based on a call from the units. It took the (former) mgmt co time to get on this with regards to signs, but eventually they did and the problems stopped once people had to start paying for their own parking entitlement behaviour.

lasimmon
04-11-2016, 10:24 AM
My condo management is pretty good in this sense. They track how long certain cars are "visitors" and have issued tickets and banned certain cars from the visitor parking for a time period.

Mitsu3000gt
04-11-2016, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
^I wish, same dickheads every night at my place. I chalk it up to lazy management (no onsite manager.)

Mitsu, do you live in one of the condos in Lincoln Park? We have the same bright yellow passes.

Nope I'm in Connaught, and we have only a handful of visitor stalls for the whole building so it's always full, and nobody ever has a pass. They change the color every year haha, I think it's purple for 2016.

I also think tenants are using the spots as a second stall (everyone only has 1 stall underground except the penthouses) because I see the same cars in the parkade as I do outside sometimes. This is also not allowed.

Also depends on the signage. If there are EXPLICIT signs that say for eg. " no parking from 2am - 7am WITHOUT visitor passes" then the CPA will come and ticket/tow these vehicles based on a call from the units. It took the (former) mgmt co time to get on this with regards to signs, but eventually they did and the problems stopped once people had to start paying for their own parking entitlement behaviour.

There is large, clearly visible and professionally done signage on the building in front of the stalls that says no parking without a pass, violators will be ticketed and towed at owners expense, etc. etc.

That's encouraging though, perhaps I can call CPA directly and they might actually do something. It would be immediately obvious to the tow truck driver which ones don't have pass as well.

Redlyne_mr2
04-11-2016, 10:29 AM
This is how things get done in Red Deer.

revelations
04-11-2016, 12:04 PM

There is large, clearly visible and professionally done signage on the building in front of the stalls that says no parking without a pass, violators will be ticketed and towed at owners expense, etc. etc.

That's encouraging though, perhaps I can call CPA directly and they might actually do something. It would be immediately obvious to the tow truck driver which ones don't have pass as well.

As long as the signs are obvious, then a phone call at 2am will suffice (in our case). One stall had the no-parking sign pushed down and so the CPA wouldn't do anything about the vehicle. :nut:

D'z Nutz
04-11-2016, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
This is how things get done in Red Deer.

Ain't no street justice like Red Deer street justice.

Mitsu3000gt
04-11-2016, 02:34 PM

As long as the signs are obvious, then a phone call at 2am will suffice (in our case). One stall had the no-parking sign pushed down and so the CPA wouldn't do anything about the vehicle. :nut:

Any reason why I should call late at night? Are they just too busy during normal times?

I'm surprised the CPA will enforce private property parking rules, but if they do that's great.

revelations
04-11-2016, 04:24 PM
No Visitor parking lot was in effect from 2am - 7am, 7 days a week.

mazdavirgin
04-11-2016, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by blairtruck
it is a feel good moment for the truck but if he pulled my car out with a tow strap. he would have a fun time the next day figuring out who is going to tow his truck to the shop.

Then maybe you shouldn't be a dick and park in someones assigned parking stall?

Minimalist
04-11-2016, 05:23 PM
This has nothing to do with bike lanes. Disappointed.

blairtruck
04-11-2016, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

Then maybe you shouldn't be a dick and park in someones assigned parking stall?
dick move for my valve stem remover too.

btimbit
04-11-2016, 05:57 PM
I approve of this method

revelations
04-11-2016, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by blairtruck

dick move for my valve stem remover too.

If both stall owner and illegal parkee have the same IQ as a toaster, then pulling a stunt like that on their vehicle can result in retaliation.

Park elsewhere and call the CPA. I've seen them come in less than an hour with a hook for cases like this.

jacky4566
04-11-2016, 06:20 PM
Snapcat does horizontal video too....

I'm surprised there wasn't any skid marks left on the concrete. Do most automatics just drag the engine or what?Never really looked into how an automatic does 'park'.

btimbit
04-11-2016, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566
Snapcat does horizontal video too....

I'm surprised there wasn't any skid marks left on the concrete. Do most automatics just drag the engine or what?Never really looked into how an automatic does 'park'.

Probably just crappy tires, not enough grip to grab the pavement and leave skid marks

http://myautomatictransmission.com/images/pawl_in_notin_park.png

Hallowed_point
04-11-2016, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin
Then maybe you shouldn't be a dick and park in someones assigned parking stall? exactly. Last thing I want to deal with when I get home is some Cletus parked in my stall. Go fuck yourself if you're too cheap to pay for parking/too lazy to walk.

lilmira
04-11-2016, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by btimbit

Probably just crappy tires, not enough grip to grab the pavement and leave skid marks

There may be skid mark elsewhere when the owner found out that the car has been moved. I don't have any picture to demonstrate that.

btimbit
04-11-2016, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by lilmira

There may be skid mark elsewhere when the owner found out that the car has been moved. I don't have any picture to demonstrate that.

:rofl: :rofl:

Dumbass17
04-11-2016, 06:51 PM
I used to live behind the best buy on 17th and work 6 days a week out of town. I'd come home for one day off and every time I came home my parking spot had someone in it. I used to lose my fucking mind

Mitsu3000gt
05-05-2016, 08:35 AM
Quick update - I called the City yesterday to report some d-bag parking in our visitor parking again without a pass. The City said they can't do anything unless a board member calls them, so they refused to anything about it. All I learned is that you can pretty much park anywhere you want downtown in other people's visitor parking and it's such a hassle to get someone towed it'll probably never happen.

Any way around this? I could just say I'm a board member, I don't know how much effort they put in to investigating it but they took all our info down. Our board is pretty useless, I can't see them calling anything in ever.

toastgremlin
05-05-2016, 09:00 AM
Quick update - I called the City yesterday to report some d-bag parking in our visitor parking again without a pass. The City said they can't do anything unless a board member calls them, so they refused to anything about it. All I learned is that you can pretty much park anywhere you want downtown in other people's visitor parking and it's such a hassle to get someone towed it'll probably never happen.

Any way around this? I could just say I'm a board member, I don't know how much effort they put in to investigating it but they took all our info down. Our board is pretty useless, I can't see them calling anything in ever. Get on the board and make parking lot engine swaps mandatory.

Kick out all the normals.

More seriously, I bet if you call the CPA again and get a different person they'll do what you want. They have a bunch of burnouts who hate their jobs manning the phones.

Sentry
05-05-2016, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by btimbit

Park pawls can skip and ratchet, given enough force.

Slam a car into park while it's rolling a few MPH and you'll hear this.

CompletelyNumb
05-05-2016, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
I used to live behind the best buy on 17th and work 6 days a week out of town. I'd come home for one day off and every time I came home my parking spot had someone in it. I used to lose my fucking mind

:rofl:

I lived in the good old Bromley building on 10th when I first moved to Calgary. Assigned spots in the back, mine was in a perfect spot. Wide lines, and no stall on either side of me (junction box and utility access).

I found someone in my spot every single time I came home. Even with a giant sign on the wall that it was reserved parking, I'd find a vehicle parked there facing it. CPA wouldn't get involved, Vinci (who owned the lot) wouldn't get involved.

So I started double parking them. Got lots of timid phone calls from Vinci asking me to please move my truck. I'd look out my balcony and see the person losing their minds. I took my time getting down there to move.

tl;dr I agree with fucking someone over if they're in your spot. Drag them, tow them, block them. Too many entitled assholes in this city. If you pay for the spot, it's yours

Mitsu3000gt
05-05-2016, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by toastgremlin
Get on the board and make parking lot engine swaps mandatory.

Kick out all the normals.

More seriously, I bet if you call the CPA again and get a different person they'll do what you want. They have a bunch of burnouts who hate their jobs manning the phones.

I'll try that next time.

I emailed my board as well and they suggested leaving notes and slowly identifying repeat offenders LOL. Give me a break. Nobody is going to want to maintain that database either when there is clear signage that you will be ticketed & towed. Imagine if the city gave people warnings instead of towing them.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-05-2016, 10:37 AM

Any way around this? I could just say I'm a board member, I don't know how much effort they put in to investigating it but they took all our info down. Our board is pretty useless, I can't see them calling anything in ever.

Not surprising, it's damned near impossible to get the CPA to do anything on private property. I was a board member at my old condo for years and not even once did we actually manage to convince the CPA to tow any of the illegally parked vehicles.

Mitsu3000gt
05-05-2016, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Not surprising, it's damned near impossible to get the CPA to do anything on private property. I was a board member at my old condo for years and not even once did we actually manage to convince the CPA to tow any of the illegally parked vehicles.

Well that's disappointing. When I called CPA it sounded like they were going to do something right up until I said I wasn't a board member, but whether they actually would send a tow truck I have no clue.

rage2
05-05-2016, 11:22 AM
Well that's disappointing. When I called CPA it sounded like they were going to do something right up until I said I wasn't a board member, but whether they actually would send a tow truck I have no clue.
They do, and they're pretty quick about it. Parking Control guy usually comes out first, issues a ticket, then calls a tow truck. You just have to have the authority to manage the parking at that location for them to actually come out.

Mitsu3000gt
05-05-2016, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by rage2

They do, and they're pretty quick about it. Parking Control guy usually comes out first, issues a ticket, then calls a tow truck. You just have to have the authority to manage the parking at that location for them to actually come out.

That would be awesome if I could get them to start towing these people. Do you know if there would be a penalty if they found out I wasn't a board member? They take down all your info, name, phone number, etc. when you call but I feel like if I just said I was a member they wouldn't challenge it. My board is useless or I'd get them to do it.

revelations
05-05-2016, 12:13 PM

That would be awesome if I could get them to start towing these people. Do you know if there would be a penalty if they found out I wasn't a board member? They take down all your info, name, phone number, etc. when you call but I feel like if I just said I was a member they wouldn't challenge it. My board is useless or I'd get them to do it.

No, there is no bylaw that I am aware of for specifically misrepresenting yourself as a condo board member to the city.

As long as the no parking area has proper signage, you're OK.

We used to tag/tow entitled imbeciles all the time (was on the board but they never asked for any proof of this).

revelations
05-05-2016, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

The no parking signage has obvious and unambiguous. We had a spot that was missing a sign so the CPA didnt do anything until that sign was corrected. After that, it was a free-for-all once we called in.

The city also came and ticketed a nubtard for repeatedly parking in a non-parking area in the underground parkade. I left the cone head several, polite, warning letters but he didn't care.