PDA

View Full Version : Roof chip advice

herbecm
04-10-2016, 09:07 PM
Hello,

My 2009 Mazda is starting to develop rust in numerous roof chips from road gravel. Fortunately, the damage is localized to the roof but it is getting worse. I park this vehicle outside and live in Alberta. Can anyone provide suggestions to repair?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Herbecm

mr2mike
04-10-2016, 09:09 PM
With that many, a sand to bare metal and it'll hold it back for awhile. But really once rust starts, unless you replace the roof panel, it'll always come back.

What are you looking to spend? That can determine course of action/advice too.

Maxx Mazda
04-10-2016, 10:48 PM
Its rust on a Mazda... You're fucked!

JustinMCS
04-11-2016, 09:22 AM
Mazda? Rust? :rofl:

Just leave it and drive it into the ground. Then don't buy a Mazda

Hallowed_point
04-11-2016, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by JustinMCS
Mazda? Rust? :rofl:

Just leave it and drive it into the ground. Then don't buy a Mazda I swear to god, my ex's 2 year old Mazda 3 was already rusting out in the wheel wells . AB car :nut:

M.alex
04-11-2016, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
I swear to god, my ex's 2 year old Mazda 3 was already rusting out in the wheel wells . AB car :nut:

Why does every mazda seem to be a rust bucket? Do they have problems treating the metal at the factory? I've seen rust hole sin some of the weirdest places, like the trunk.

heavyD
04-11-2016, 11:58 AM
That is a lot of rust for a 2009 but seeing it's a Mazda you may as well just leave things as is and let it rust out. No point fixing the roof when other parts of the car will rust out. If you can't handle the rust just sell it and don't get another Mazda because it's always going to be an issue with their vehicles.

heavyD
04-11-2016, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

Why does every mazda seem to be a rust bucket? Do they have problems treating the metal at the factory? I've seen rust hole sin some of the weirdest places, like the trunk.

Most manufacturers all use the same crappy water based paints and Mazda's to me look no worse than what you see from Honda or Subaru. It must has something to do with using a cheaper metal and poor preparation. The worst part to me is that this has been going on for a long time (my wife's 2002 Protégé 5 had rust on the hatch less than 3 years from new) and they seem unable to correct the issues. Maybe the new models will be better but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Maxx Mazda
04-11-2016, 01:37 PM
It has to do with how they treat the metal, AND with the design of the panels themselves. The protégés for example were really bad in the rear quarters. The way the splash shield was designed, it allowed for a lot of snow and salt to actually pile up BEHIND it and sit there. Washing wouldn't remove it, so you literally had a giant section of your quarter panel sitting with salt and snow on it for a few months a year. Didn't take long at that rate.

My car is completely rust free because it's never even been in the snow one day of its life, and is only driven a handful of times each year. Must be some kind of record for a Mazda!