PDA

View Full Version : Powder coated rims are on!

shakalaka
04-11-2016, 09:33 AM
Some of guys may remember me mentioning it somewhere that I was waiting on my rims to get powder coated. Well they are finally done and I could not have been happier with how they have turned out.

I went for the Satin Black colour as I wanted some shine but not quite as much as Gloss Black and also didn't want them to be completely matte. Shout out to Calgary Powder Coatings for doing a superb job at a great price! Also, shoutout to Jordan at Horton Urban X for getting everything ready for me. Great guys Jordan and Pete and definitely recommend them. Have been going to them since they set up shop and they do great work.

I do have a question though; the rims have a little space for the ///M stickers that is now empty since they had to remove it during the powder coating process. Anyway, expecting this I ordered a set from eBay of what looked very similar to stickers and as far as I can tell they are decent enough.

However, when we put them on they were barely sticking and after a drive all flew off. Now I do have spares but haven't put them on yet because I am not sure how to get them to stick properly. The glue that they come with is either not good enough or the surface of the rims now that they are powder coated doesn't allow them to stay on. Or could just be shitty stickers I guess as they were pretty cheap.

I found other site that sells them for $9USD per sticker and I'd get that but worried they may not stay on either and that'd be a waste. Does anyone know if the powder coated surface is causing the issue? Is there some kind of glue I can use under the sticker before putting them on that'll make them stick for good and also not somehow ruin the powder coat?

Anyway, a quick pic....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/karanaujla/Mobile%20Uploads/1FAE8645-32FF-4D5D-A39A-C33F27033A18.jpg

killramos
04-11-2016, 10:12 AM
Look great. You could just epoxy the sticker on? I bet that's what they do with them when stock.

shakalaka
04-11-2016, 10:30 AM
Thanks man. Yea I can certainly look into it.

So just something like this?

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.lepagesupsup-epoxy-steelsupsup.1000110607.html

Are there any types/kinds that are better or worse than others? Something like crazy Krazy Glue wouldn't be a good idea I assume?

Also since the area is so small, I will need a very small/fine applicator. Suggestions?

killramos
04-11-2016, 10:34 AM
Yea anything will do really. Just make sure whatever you get is designed to stick to whatever the powdercoat material is ( ceramic? I honestly don't know ) and that its designed to be permanent. Also make sure to let it dry and cure before driving.

spikerS
04-11-2016, 10:35 AM
Gorilla glue is pretty awesome epoxy, and I am sure would do the trick.

killramos
04-11-2016, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka

Are there any types/kinds that are better or worse than others? Something like crazy Krazy Glue wouldn't be a good idea I assume?

Also since the area is so small, I will need a very small/fine applicator. Suggestions?

Honestly considering its a tiny little sticker anything you use should be WAY stronger than the sticker. I'm sure krazy glue would work just fine tbh. Bonus if its designed to stick the whatever the powder coat is made of ( again i have no clue ).

88CRX
04-11-2016, 10:47 AM
Looks great! Love the color of the car.

As for the stickers they must just be shitty stickers. There is nothing added to the powder coating process that doesn't allow stickers to stick to them. I've stuck many Volk stickers to freshly powder coated wheels no problem.

Clean the surface (not with any sort of detail spray as thay leaves a waxy residue), stick the stickers then try hitting them with some heat (a blow dryer should work) just to get the glue all heated up and stuck on there. Then be careful with the wand at the carwash.

shakalaka
04-11-2016, 11:14 AM
Thanks a lot guys. I do love the look. I think the rims go well with the colour of the car.

I will try out the suggestions for the stickers.

Thaco
04-11-2016, 11:19 AM
mind saying the cost? I've been looking to have a set done, last i heard it was around $320 for a set, you can send a PM if you'd prefer.

88CRX
04-11-2016, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
mind saying the cost? I've been looking to have a set done, last i heard it was around $320 for a set, you can send a PM if you'd prefer.

+/- $75/rim which includes sandblasting. Tires and valve stems have to be removed.

shakalaka
04-11-2016, 12:04 PM
It ended up being $349.50. Just under $350 anyway. Which I think is very reasonable. Rims over 20" are slightly more. More hassle is getting the tires off and on and re-balancing etc. lol.

I had the valve stems left in there, I was told that they cut them off which they must have including my little ///M sticker.

J.M.
04-11-2016, 12:20 PM
wow looks awesome

2000TL
04-11-2016, 12:41 PM
That looks great! It goes with car very well.

Bladeh
04-11-2016, 01:04 PM
No issues with Calgary Powder Coating Inc and they did awesome work, I payed $349 as well with about a 2 week turn around

SportEL
04-11-2016, 09:33 PM
I've had Screamin' Paintworks put a Clear coat over my centercaps that had new stickers put on.

InRich
04-11-2016, 09:36 PM
looking good! :thumbsup: